NAD wizard hellrazor

smokin jim carrey the mask.jpg

My findings with the latest version: There's so much gain on the HR compared to Rick's other amps - probably between 35 - 45% more than the MTL. So starting out with the 3 gain knobs and saturation at noon or higher is crazy - then there's 4 tone shaping boosts as well. You absolutely need a gate in the loop to get the most out of the amp. It is what it is - a flamethrower of an amp. It's a completely different circuit than the MTL or MCII.

My findings with the latest version: There's so much gain on the HR compared to Rick's other amps - probably between 35 - 45% more than the MTL. So starting out with the 3 gain knobs and saturation at noon or higher is crazy - then there's 4 tone shaping boosts as well. You absolutely need a gate in the loop to get the most out of the amp. It is what it is - a flamethrower of an amp. It's a completely different circuit than the MTL or MCII.
I know HR has 3 gain knobs. Are they for controll amount of gain? Or shaping gain structure?? Wizard web's description is not so specific. So, I've been curious why HR got 3 gain knobs.

I know HR has 3 gain knobs. Are they for controll amount of gain? Or shaping gain structure?? Wizard web's description is not so specific. So, I've been curious why HR got 3 gain knobs.
Yes the 3 gain knobs increase gain but they also affect the frequency of the gain (more low mid - more upper mid) and the boosts when pulled offer increased gain and a bump to the corresponding frequency that that gain knob is responsible for. As if that wasn't enough - there's 2 bright controls for the top end related to Gain 1 and Gain 2. Lot's of options, but one you get the hang of it it's pretty intuitive. Just don't start with all the gains on 8-10 and start pulling boosts.

Back