NAD x 2 (a special one for me)

firejack

Well I've come full circle. A friend of mine from USA sold me two of his Peters amps. One is a 50W Halo/Gryphon and the other is a 100W Halo/Vega/GNL. Now I'm just waiting on a new 4x12 Achillies Cab so I can run them in stereo. Can't wait!

Attachments

• 20231101_123929.jpg
    20231101_123929.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 45
  • 20231101_133621.jpg
    20231101_133621.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20231101_132648.jpg
    20231101_132648.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
  • 20231101_133315.jpg
    20231101_133315.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
Seeing as how I’m from the same country I suppose it’s on me to arrange for a welfare check on Mr. Peters. When’s the last time anyone’s heard from him?

are these still made?

i was planning on getting a format 7 but i assume since i can't get a reply the amps are no longer made

anyone know for sure?

Very nice amps! I really like my Halo/Vega, but never had the chance to play any other models. Once you have some time with them, let us know how the different channel models compare to each other.

What’s the halo Vega like ?

The Halo channel is a nice sounding clean channel that can get a bit of crunch to it when you crank the gain.

The Vega channel is a medium to high gain hot-rodded Marshall sound. It doesn't go super high gain on its own but will get into 80's metal territory. With a good boost you can push the saturation further. It can be pretty aggressive and is really responsive to picking dynamics. I like to think of it as similar to a JCM 800 with more options for tone & response.

Seeing as how I’m from the same country I suppose it’s on me to arrange for a welfare check on Mr. Peters. When’s the last time anyone’s heard from him?
Ya what’s up with him ?
The Halo channel is a nice sounding clean channel that can get a bit of crunch to it when you crank the gain.

The Vega channel is a medium to high gain hot-rodded Marshall sound. It doesn't go super high gain on its own but will get into 80's metal territory. With a good boost you can push the saturation further. It can be pretty aggressive and is really responsive to picking dynamics. I like to think of it as similar to a JCM 800 with more options for tone & response.
thanks for the response!

I have more respect for James for putting up with my ass all those years ago. Truly a good man. Killer amps.

I've tubed the amps up and played them both through my 4x12 with Redback/CB75 speaker mix.

The Gryphon is my fave. I've really missed this amp. It's got a very special growl. There's also a nice sheen/sparkle to the high-end that's just not present in the GNL. I do still love the GNL though. It's a little thicker overall than the Gryphon. And it's a bit more fluid/compressed which makes it a little easier to play. The Vega is leaner and lower-gain than the Gryphon and GNL. I haven't spent much time with it, but it definitely has that Peters vibe going on.

And the Halo is still my favorite clean. It's got a great voicing and is very easy to dial in. It can get raunchy with gain if you want it that way, or it can be set up as a crystal clean.

I haven't been able to run them in stereo yet as there's a fault with my pedalboard somewhere along the chain of pedals. I need to troubleshoot that before I can use the amps together in stereo.

Attachments

• 20231102_154440.jpg
    20231102_154440.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
I remember you had a peters way back when
Yeah man I've had the Halo, Gryphon, Hydra and GNL models.
The Halo/Gryphon with shared EQ was my first. Then I stupidly sold my Halo/Gryphon to get a new Peters model with dedicated EQ sections for the clean and overdrive channels and opted for the Hydra overdrive channel. I never gelled with the Hydra, and after talking to James about what I disliked about the Hydra, he sent me some instructions for my tech to make some changes to my Hydra. And that's pretty much how the GNL came about.

are these still made?

i was planning on getting a format 7 but i assume since i can't get a reply the amps are no longer made

anyone know for sure?
I was also looking into getting a Format 7 but to no avail. Hence why I jumped at the chance to buy these two amps.

Happy NAD! Sweet pair!

Someone tell me about these in a nutshell, what are they?
They are unique sounding amps that respond really well to input. The best feature for me is that they have very natural sounding lows, unlike a lot of modern amps I've tried that have very unnatural sounding low-end response to the point where they sound/feel like a solid-state amp.

Very nice amps! I really like my Halo/Vega, but never had the chance to play any other models. Once you have some time with them, let us know how the different channel models compare to each other.
Haven't spent enough time with the Vega yet. But the Gryphon and GNL models are just as I remember them. I'll update after I get to know the Vega a little better.

Back