Nailbomb vs. Afwayu?

vchizzle

Anyone have both? Differences? Going into a solid mahogany guitar. I tend to like strong bottom & low mids. Looking alnico 5 mags in both.

I have not tried the Nailbomb, but have an Afwayu set in my Hamer, and they KILL! Best I've tried yet! Very thick, lot's of low's, but not dark either. For me, I see no need to try any other pickup, they are that good!

This ^^^ I love the Afwayu. Big low end, yet remains very tight. Rippin' midrange and smooth highs. Just ordered another one. :rock:

Complete opposites. Nailbomb is very thick, great for a very bright guitar. It's like an upgraded Tone Zone, a little less volume but sounds like super high output because it can break up easily. Complex with lots of overtones but significantly clearer than the TZ.
Afwayu is super bright, and an absolute ice pick in a bright sounding guitar. Clear and articulate but dry and harsh in the wrong application.

I had a Nailbomb in a LP Custom and didn't like it much at all. Can't remember much about it other than hating how my guitar sounded. I had an Afwayu in my PRS standard 22 and I loved it in that guitar. I didn't find it overly bright at all. I replaced it with a painkiller, but I'm thinking about going back to the Afwayu. The Afwayu is just a good all around pick up.

I have a Ceramic Nailbomb in my PRS Custom 24 and it absolutely kills. Thick, punchy and crunchy (incidentally, it also kills with all my amps: some pickups don't like the VH4, Mark IV or vice-versa; this one eats them all up!).

C

The Afwayu is not super bright. It has more extended highs, which translate as a sort of sparkle on top. It is actually pretty thick sounding. The mids are also thick, but the high mids do stand out a bit, and make for a nice singing quality. It has a beefy low and low mid sound, but the high mids and sparkle can make it sound tight. This pickup also has this slightly hollow crunch to it.

The Nailbomb has rolled-off highs, in comparison. It also has a good amount of mids with a thick quality to them. This pickup is very punchy, especially in the mids. In comparison to the Afwayu, it doesn't sing as much as it goes, THWACK.

Back