NBD: Have some King’s X for your face

RevDrucifer

I grabbed one of these new Spector Pulse basses and it’s fucking AWESOME. For under a grand, it’s pretty hard to beat. Roasted maple neck, ebony fingerboard, EMG’s and a Spector Tone Pump Jr preamp. I have two 5-strings and just wasn’t getting on with them, especially when it came to drop tuning them. I’ve fallen in love with playing bass and really want to develop myself as a legit bass player, not just a guitar player playing bass, and figure the best way is to start with 4-strings.

There’s some slop/rushing in here as I’d only been playing with my fingers for about 4 days before I recorded this. Going straight into my AxeFX III, running a dual-amp preset with an SVT into an Ampeg 8x10 and an Oversized Recto cab as well as the JCM800 #34 model into the same Oversized Recto cab. No crossover. I’ve been dealing with some pulsatile tinnitus the last few weeks, so I’ve had to keep volume levels in check, which means I put on headphones but still crank my studio monitors because it’s not fun until the walls are shaking.

Dug Pinnick is half the reason I wanted to play bass and I’ve never actually learned a King’s X tune before on guitar or bass, so I figured I’d start with my favorite one!

Sounds good, makes this frustrated guitar player want to pick up a bass.

I’m having a blast with it. The same way that cranking a loud tube amp is fun, I find it a bit more fun to shake the foundation of a house instead of just the pictures on the walls!

It’s also nice to take a break from scrutinizing guitar tones. It can be a lot simpler with bass, finding your main tone and just sticking with it.

Love that song. Seen King's X four times. First was right after Gretchen.
Now you need the 12 string to really do Dug proud!

Almost got Dug and me arrested at O'Hare Airport once in the 90s,
but that's a story for another day. :sneaky:

Love that song. Seen King's X four times. First was right after Gretchen.
Now you need the 12 string to really do Dug proud!

Almost got Dug and me arrested at O'Hare Airport once in the 90s,
but that's a story for another day. :sneaky:

Hahahah that’s certainly worthy of it’s own thread!

I’ve only had the chance to see them once, at NAMM 2011 inside the Mackie room, it was me and like 15 other guys and they sounded fucking AMAZING. Later that night, at the Dean NAMM Jam, I was getting some drinks and Dug walked up next to me in line. We spent the next 3 hours drinking together while watching Hellyeah, Micheal Schenker and Megadeth, getting loaded. (Dug likes Long Islands). The next night he saw me at the Hilton during the after party and yelled out, “HOW’S YOUR THROAT TODAY?”, because I was screaming my face off the night before.

I’d love to get a 12-string at some point! Schecter put one out as a Dug sig bass, I don’t really get on with Schecters in general, but I’ll definitely try one out if I ever get the chance. If it’s got strings on it, chances are, I want to own it!

@RevDrucifer
The guys in King's X are just 3 of the nicest people. I took my young nephew to see them in Boston
and he ended up on stage (with others) singing Grand Funk's 'Closer to Home', which was their closer.

Here's the story: Was visiting family in Chicago and walking through O'Hare when I spotted Dug
and another guy walking in the opposite direction. This was when Dug still had the crazy Mohawk.

I tell everyone who it was and then they tell me to 'go get his autograph'. So I catch up to him right
after he'd walked through a metal detector. (this was before 9/11) Like an idiot I yell to him and reach
out with a pen and paper. He starts walking over and then 'FREEZE"!!!!!!

Airport cop has his hand on his sidearm and yelling at us to stop. He pretty quickly figured out what
was going on and directed him to walk back through the detector first before signing, and then back
through again after. Fortunately Dug thought it was hilarious and we actually had a laugh about it many
years later at a gig here in San Diego when I reminded him after the show.

I’d love to get a 12-string at some point! Schecter put one out as a Dug sig bass, I don’t really get on with Schecters in general, but I’ll definitely try one out if I ever get the chance. If it’s got strings on it, chances are, I want to own it!
Rev - go all in and track down one of the Hamer multi string basses ;-)

Rev - go all in and track down one of the Hamer multi string basses ;-)

When I get to the point that I'll actually buy a 12-string bass, I'll definitely try to track one down to at least play and compare to the Schecter. While I was really impressed with the Schecters I've played recently, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from all those red Hellraiser 7-strings with the shitty inlays that were EVERYWHERE in the late 90's.

Back