NCD: Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12

dirtyfunkg

I've been wanting to build or buy one of these for such a long time.

Ended up finding a Thiele cab on Guitar Center Used for relatively cheap so jumped on it. Arrived yesterday.

Man, what a small (form factor) cab!

Haven't cranked it yet but hope to this weekend. My buddy has my EVM 12L in one of his cabinets... hoping I can go pick that up from him and put it where it really belongs. I did confirm with Boogie that the Thiele cab is still the same as it ever was, based on the EV TL806 plan, so the EVM 12L should really bring it to life.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with this MC90. I've heard it's most closely related to a CL80, which was my favorite speaker with my old VHT Pittbull Classic.

I also have my Genz Benz G-Flex 212 that has K85's in it. Has anyone ever blended the CL80 or MC90 with a K85/K100?

An Eminence MS12 should also work really well in that Thiele cab.

I am a big fan of those MC90's and they mix really well with an EV or MS-12

Grats dude! Heard some clips of the Thiele with an EV vs a 4x12 and the Thiele sounded bigger in some cases.

I had a mini stack with a open back 1x12 and that Thiele both with old EVMs. Sounded monstrous. Should have kept those cabs.

I have two of these that I stack and they sound huge. It’s true, because of the port they can sound bigger than a 4x12 but it’s more in an artificial way.

I'm actually looking for a 2nd, half-open one with the old logo and an MC90.
My current one is the closed back, EVM loaded, which works very well with the lil' Mark.

I've since sold the 1x12 slanted Mini Rec cab, since it wasn't as good as the Thiele.

Attachments

• Mini WalloDef.jpg
    Mini WalloDef.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 90
I stacked a Music Man combo and a Mesa Thiele cab with an EVM, it was my rig for a long while.
It sounded massive. The open sound from the combo, and the big low end from the Thiele was a great match. It can be a decent replacement for a half stack, and you can carry everything in one round. It's a great cab, and I'd really like to have one again.

I guess my summer project might be to build a similarly dimensioned cab, but just make it open back. Put the MC90 in there and see how it goes.

With the Helix, GP/DI and PS-2, it makes for a really compact, versatile rig, I think. I'm excited!

I have 2 Boogie Thiele cabinets, one with the EV and the other with the C90. When I first got the C90 Thiele, I thought that it "needed" to have the speaker switched to an EV, but after comparing the two, I found I preferred the C90 when mixed with a combo with an EV.

I have 2 Boogie Thiele cabinets, one with the EV and the other with the C90. When I first got the C90 Thiele, I thought that it "needed" to have the speaker switched to an EV, but after comparing the two, I found I preferred the C90 when mixed with a combo with an EV.
Both your cabs were closed back, right?
Just asking, since Mesa also made these Thiele-like half-open back cabs with EVM's...

I have two of these that I stack and they sound huge. It’s true, because of the port they can sound bigger than a 4x12 but it’s more in an artificial way.
I ran two stacked for 2-3 years. I actually loved the MC90's, and bare stock Thieles just can't be beat. Also ran them side by side in stereo with a poweramp/preamp set up that sounded pretty stellar as well. Love those cabs. I'll take 2 of those over a 2x12 any day, and some cases a 4x12.

the best sounding 1x12 ever imo. actually pretty dark and bassy for a 1x12, sometimes to its detriment. i always end up going back to 4x12s.

Nice score man, I grabbed one awhile back to use with my GP/DI in my truck. Haven’t tried it yet as I’ve been off for the holidays but I have high hopes, might even end up chucking my Dual Dark in there to use instead.

How’s it sound with the Fryette?

FWIW, A while ago I did manage to snag one of those half-open cabs with an EVM, so I could use them together with the Mesa Thiele cabs.
Obviously, as physics would dictate, they sound quite different even with the same speaker.
I came to the conclusion that while I definitely liked the added character and crunch that the half-open cab added, it also became more middy, almost honky and lacked some of the low-end punch of the Thieles.

My conclusion was: if you don't need the big low-end punch, but you want a bit more character, bordering on crunch/sizzle (as far as an EVM allows...it's still a far cry from a vintage Celestion/Jensen of course) and you play more classic rock/blues/country stuff, the half-open EVM-loaded is the better choice. For more hard rock/metal, definitely the Thiele.
I sold the half-open one.

Attached is a pic with the less deep half-open cab on the left and a Thiele on the right, when I was A/B-ing them.

Attachments

• Mesa cabs.jpg
    Mesa cabs.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 95
Back