Need a pickup for an EVH Frankie Relic

A super distortion will absolutely nail the early brown sound, especially wired straight with just a volume.
It cleans up really well too, hits that edge Evh had all over the first album
While it hits those tones, it’s safe to say neither the mighty mite or SD was used in that album. The destroyer used the stock Super 70s and all of the pics of the black and white franky in those years had an all black or a zebra pickup, neither of which had dual hex row pole pieces.

The one thing that PAF types have in common with ceramic pickups is high resonant peaks, which is part of that tone for sure.

Last edited:
1. The amp (to a point) is more important than the pickup for VH1
2. A big part of the Frank sound on VH1 was the "zing" from the vintage strat bridge
3. It is basically a T-top PAF, not the others. Mid 7s dc & short A5. When you try it into the right rig, it is "there". Think beefier Telecaster. (this is why Ed LOVED the "broken" JB, as it got back closer to that sound)
4. The others can make a FR-equipped guitar get closer to the sound, as they make up for what the FR takes away.

I understand this isn't popular opinion, and it is a bit harder to get the harmonics to pop this way.

Ed's hands were really something.

1. The amp (to a point) is more important than the pickup for VH1
2. A big part of the Frank sound on VH1 was the "zing" from the vintage strat bridge
3. It is basically a T-top PAF, not the others. Mid 7s dc & short A5. When you try it into the right rig, it is "there". Think beefier Telecaster. (this is why Ed LOVED the "broken" JB, as it got back closer to that sound)
4. The others can make a FR-equipped guitar get closer to the sound, as they make up for what the FR takes away.

I understand this isn't popular opinion, and it is a bit harder to get the harmonics to pop this way.

Ed's hands were really something.
Yes.

That rig is very unforgiving, and forces you to be hyper-accurate when it comes to harmonics.

If you wanna see how the amp makes so much more difference than the pickup, how a high-output pickup can be self-defeating, and how the Strat bridge adds the zing, listen to the newly released outtakes from the Star Fleet Project. On “Let Me Out“ and on “Blues Breaker“, Ed is using his newly acquired (at that time) early 60s Strat.

On the song “Starfleet“, where he is using the Frank (which at this point either has the early version of the JB or the A2 thing he ended up with), and it is a much “flatter“ sound which is a result of both the higher output pick up and the Floyd Rose.

I just got a Frankie relic & although the guitar plays well, the Wolfgang PU is about as un-brown & un-VH sounding as can be.
It's thick, compressed & boomy.
I was thinking on a SD 78 but that's the original fender trem EVH white stripped guitar & it may be too low powered for a later day red Frankie sound.
Any suggestions?
View attachment 251690
The SD 78 is my favorite out of all the VHish pickups I’ve tried. Bare knuckle, motor city, arcane, and the EVH Frankenstein in the striped series guitars and SD 78 won out

If you wanna see how the amp makes so much more difference than the pickup, how a high-output pickup can be self-defeating, and how the Strat bridge adds the zing, listen to the newly released outtakes from the Star Fleet Project. On “Let Me Out“ and on “Blues Breaker“, Ed is using his newly acquired (at that time) early 60s Strat.

On the song “Starfleet“, where he is using the Frank (which at this point either has the early version of the JB or the A2 thing he ended up with), and it is a much “flatter“ sound which is a result of both the higher output pick up and the Floyd Rose.
Exactly correct !

BTW, what were the specs on the guitar you were using in the Oct 1990 Guitar World magazine ?

The SD 78 is my favorite out of all the VHish pickups I’ve tried. Bare knuckle, motor city, arcane, and the EVH Frankenstein in the striped series guitars and SD 78 won out
It not the Frankenstein in the striped series. Those are Wolfgang pickups

Having fallen backwards down this rabbit hole a few years back (and finally gotten off the crutches and out of the cast and neck brace) here are my thoughts: The weakest link in the striped series guitar is the Basswood body. Basswood is a crapshoot - some Basswood guitars sound decent and some sound like absolute ass.

I now own two early Frank replicas built with proper northern hard ash bodies. One has a traditional six screw trem and the other has a non-fine tuner Floyd with a big brass block. Both of these guitars sound better hands down than any Basswood body guitar I have ever owned, borrowed or noodle around on. I have had a variety of low to mid output, pickups in both of my ash Frank builds, and they never disappoint. Actually, the differences between a Duncan 59, a Duncan 78, a Duncan 59 custom hybrid and a Duncan whole Lotta humbucker are so subtle and so nuanced that you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference plugged into a pissed off amp. Plugging the exact same guitar and amp into a variety of cabinets and speakers will give you way more difference in tone than fiddling with the pick ups at that point.

I do own a couple of EVH striped series guitars that I built as partscasters using EVH Basswood bodies sourced from stratosphere. I do believe that the thick glossy paint job helps firm up the tone of Basswood, which can sometimes be a bit mushy and spongy. For my money, the best sounding pickup in these EVH bodies is the Jalen pinnacle with a ceramic magnet. The ceramic magnet helps tighten up the low end, and add some sizzle up top. My Stripe builds are sort of novelty guitars, when compared with my two northern hard ash builds - which just blow them away when it comes to tone.

Last edited:
Having fallen backwards down this rabbit hole a few years back (and finally gotten off the crutches and out of the cast and neck brace) here are my thoughts: The weakest link in the striped series guitar is the Basswood body. Basswood is a crapshoot - some Basswood guitars sound decent and some sound like absolute ass.

I now own two early Frank replicas built with proper northern hard ash bodies. One has a traditional six screw trem and the other has a non-fine tuner Floyd with a big brass block. Both of these guitars sound better hands down than any Basswood body guitar I have ever owned, borrowed or noodle around on. I have had a variety of low to mid output, pickups in both of my ash Frank builds, and they never disappoint. Actually, the differences between a Duncan 59, a Duncan 78, a Duncan 59 custom hybrid and a Duncan whole Lotta humbucker are so subtle and so nuanced that you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference plugged into a pissed off amp. Plugging the exact same guitar and amp into a variety of cabinets and speakers will give you way more difference in tone than fiddling with the pick ups at that point.

I do own a couple of EVH striped series guitars that I built as partscasters using EVH Basswood bodies sourced from stratosphere. I do believe that the thick glossy paint job helps firm up the tone of Basswood, which can sometimes be a bit mushy and spongy. For my money, the best sounding pickup in these EVH bodies is the Jalen pinnacle with a ceramic magnet. The ceramic magnet helps tighten up the low end, and add some sizzle up top. My Stripe builds are sort of novelty guitars, when compared with my two northern hard ash builds - which just blow them away when it comes to tone.
Dave Friedman calls it ASSwood. I agree with that assessment. Northern Ash is bright with an instant attack in my experience and I love it.

Exactly correct !

BTW, what were the specs on the guitar you were using in the Oct 1990 Guitar World magazine ?
Scaring me!!

Kramer body, neck from a company that starts with an L that escapes me now. Painted in a pattern that matched a pair of Jams shorts I had at the time (which were sacrificed in the process). Floyd from ‘84 or so. That black pickup was a Duncan Distortion, it now has an old Screamin’ Demon in it.

2007-01-23 at 13-07-30.jpeg

Scaring me!!

Kramer body, neck from a company that starts with an L that escapes me now. Painted in a pattern that matched a pair of Jams shorts I had at the time (which were sacrificed in the process). Floyd from ‘84 or so. That black pickup was a Duncan Distortion, it now has an old Screamin’ Demon in it.

View attachment 252209
Badass !

You still have it !

:rawk:

It not the Frankenstein in the striped series. Those are Wolfgang pickups
Sorry if my post was unclear, I have swapped out the Wolfgang pickups in the striped series guitars for those other options, at one point I had all 3 colors, and non of them did I keep the Wolfgang pickup, which I think is a great pickuo btw

Has anyone put an SD 78 into their super strat? Just curious what it sounds like in a floyd equipped guitar.
Also, does anyone know what was in Ed's 1984 Frankie?
I love his tone on that almost as the 1st VH album.
If you only want the early live tone( Album release party tone)( and I believe most of the album) for VH1 then I would say the MM1400. It may be possible for a 7-8 PAF to get as crunchy and hot as the MM 1400. I truly believe VH1 was mostly about the crunch and rattiness of the pickup IMHO. I would love to hear a 7-8K PAF deliver the same ratty crunch of the 1400. I know Rdodson has some good ears so I won't completely say it's not possible.

If you want a pickup that can cover most VH, VH1, VH2, the Selland Arena show tone and then some then I would recommend the Duncan 78 model but Al always recommends the Origin by Jalen which is mostly the 78 model from all accounts....and Al also knows his Ed tones.

While it hits those tones, it’s safe to say neither the mighty mite or SD was used in that album. The destroyer used the stock Super 70s and all of the pics of the black and white franky in those years had an all black or a zebra pickup, neither of which had dual hex row pole pieces.

The one thing that PAF types have in common with ceramic pickups is high resonant peaks, which is part of that tone for sure.
I can tell you’re a lot of fun at parties.

The power amp, underbiased at low voltage, is half the sound.

You can do speakers/tubes/strings/cables/pickups/cabs/amps till the cows come home but power amp tone is THE thing.

Back