****NEED MESA ADVICE****

JKingV2

Got a Mesa Roadster 2x12 that I use in a doom/stoner metal band. I’m the only guitar player. Our songs sometimes have parts where all’s quiet as I’m playing a riff that leads into a heavy breakdown. I been setting Ch 3 to a lower volume then switching over to Ch 4 at a higher volume to achieve a dynamic almost like an extra guitarist coming in once the band comes in on the part. When I switch channels however, there’s this volume gap or dip for like half a second, but it’s noticeable.

I’ve been looking for other solutions. I’ve read some people putting a boost pedal in their chain, more so in their EFX loop to get this dynamic volume boost effect without having to deal with switching channels on the Mesa. I already have an Xotic EP Booster I use at home which I was thinking of bringing to the practice space to use for this purpose, but I don’t know if it’ll work in that way.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?!? Lol, any advice on this would be much appreciated, and please don’t recommend a second guitarist or a different amp. We’re short on time and resources and I gotta make the Mesa work. THANKS!

The boost in the loop should do it. A lot of guys put a Volume pedal in the loop just before delay. Then you can get any of your tones at any volume.

The boost in the loop should do it. A lot of guys put a Volume pedal in the loop just before delay. Then you can get any of your tones at any volume.
Yea I gotta try that. I already got the EP Booster, just hope it doesn’t color the sound too much.. not that that’s necessarily a bad thing, but just don’t want drastically altering my tone while in the loop.

I might try a cut box in the loop (active only for the quieter parts). That way your "normal" tone is just the amp by itself. They use to make such things; not sure if they still do.

Yea I gotta try that. I already got the EP Booster, just hope it doesn’t color the sound too much.. not that that’s necessarily a bad thing, but just don’t want drastically altering my tone while in the loop.

EP boost does color your tone a little but it's an awesome color.
Was an 'always on' pedal when I used one.

Doesn’t the roadster have a solo boost as an option, where it’s just a footswitchable master volume that you can set higher?

Back