Need recommendations on recording

Jeff Hilligan

Computer, audio interface recording software? I have all this and just can't figure out drums.

It's beyond frustrating

Get Logic Pro, it’s maybe $309 and then grab superior drummer 3, sounds great. Many drum kits and sounds to choose from. Logic isn’t too hard to learn. My brother told me to get ableton and spoke of its excellence, and it was the single biggest piece of shit I’ve ever dealt with: it might be cool if you are into electronic dance music.

What interface do you have? If it’s an Apollo or UA device you get Luna for free and that it pretty easy to use and sounds good. It has neve summing that sounds great. Studer tape machine. UA has some killer plugins, analog and digital stuff. They have a bundle right now that my friend just got and it’s $309 I think and you get A LOT of bitchin plug-ins.

There are decent stock drums in logic. It comes with a TON of virtual instruments and Apple Loops.

You could grab EZDrummer3 if you want something simple and quick?

It's all "Premixed" so things will sound decent out of the box. It'll have midi grooves and loops built in that you can use, you can then edit these if you need to.

It's all "Premixed" so things will sound decent out of the box. It'll have midi grooves and loops built in that you can use, you can then edit these if you need to.
Just looked at the YouTube video on this.

Looks impressive !

I guess it uses AI to listen to a riff and then suggest a beat. :unsure:

Just looked at the YouTube video on this.

Looks impressive !

I guess it uses AI to listen to a riff and then suggest a beat. :unsure:
Pretty much as far as I'm aware.

The older versions were purely just based around having drum kits and sounds that were "mix ready" and good to just drop into a mix.

The newer versions of their stuff (like the bass and keyboard ones) all have the groove detecting stuff also in it where it can suggest beats etc.

I'm fairly sure with the bass one you can record a riff on guitar and it'll figure out what chords you're playing and where the changes are and suggest a bass line etc. Smart stuff!

Pretty much as far as I'm aware.

The older versions were purely just based around having drum kits and sounds that were "mix ready" and good to just drop into a mix.

The newer versions of their stuff (like the bass and keyboard ones) all have the groove detecting stuff also in it where it can suggest beats etc.

I'm fairly sure with the bass one you can record a riff on guitar and it'll figure out what chords you're playing and where the changes are and suggest a bass line etc. Smart stuff!
I'm guessing EZDrummer3 isn't gonna call me at 2:00am expecting me to come down to county jail and bail it out, because we have a gig Friday night ?

:unsure:

You have to program Drums Bar by Bar unless you use shitty Loops.. You can repeat, copy and paste sections already programed.

I have an ancient Drum Machine that I can sync with MIDI to the computer.. So I build everything in Bars, section by section in the Drum Machine and then use it to control sounds in the Computer..

Otherwise, you have to build it on the Computer like writing out music, note by note.. Have fun with that.

The cool thing is once you have the MIDI Map, you can switch in different Drum sounds at will. Same beat but different Kit is no problem. Just load it up.

If you have a mac get Logic Pro X. It has a built in drummer program that sounds great and you don’t have to program. Then step up to EZ Drummer if you want the next step. You can program on a piano roll / grid and midi it, but you have to know how to put the beats where you want them Etc.

Yeah if you are on Apple, just start using Logic as your DAW and use the Drummer. There is nothing else really like it. Instead of choosing loops, just set it to follow your recorded audio track. If you are as beginner as it sounds with this kind of stuff, start there. I wish I had.

If it helps OP I’m in the same boat. Ive got a Royer 121, sm57, grabbing an e609 soon, bought a UA Apollo twin interface, and a decent two channel mic preamp. I haven’t gone down the DAW path yet but as mentioned earlier I believe I can use Luna for free. I planned to look into EZdrummer since I’m only wanting to record decent amp recordings that don’t make every amp sound like ass.

If it helps OP I’m in the same boat. Ive got a Royer 121, sm57, grabbing an e609 soon, bought a UA Apollo twin interface, and a decent two channel mic preamp. I haven’t gone down the DAW path yet but as mentioned earlier I believe I can use Luna for free. I planned to look into EZdrummer since I’m only wanting to record decent amp recordings that don’t make every amp sound like ass.
Technically, Reaper is "free".

I used it free for several years before I paid the $60 to register an individual license.

Technically, Reaper is "free".

I used it free for several years before I paid the $60 to register an individual license.
I’m actually recording on a windows laptop so I was planning to get a pro tools license and just suck it up and figure it out. I don’t think I can use Luna on windows and when I realized that I sorta put all of this to the side. $3k in recording hardware literally collecting dust. Moving is a pain.

That's what I use. Easy and quick!!

I've been using the pre-mixed GGD stuff a lot lately. The One Kit Wonder classic rock & metal packs, and the Benny Grey one.

For what I'm doing, I can find a preset that works, and focus my time and guitar stuff.

Back