Need some help with a Mark V issue

taliababa

The noise is only generated by my 2 guitars equipped with passive pickups. When I use my ESP Ouija the sound isn't present. The guitars that are affected are, Caparison TAT II and EVH USA Wolfgang. Both have the stock pickups. The noise is only present on channel 3. It doesn't occur when there's no guitar attached. I've tried different cables, removing pedals from the loop, and turned down the gain. I've got an ISP G-string, but even it didn't help.

I'm hoping you folks can give me a hand.

The pickup thing obviously makes me think it's some grounding issue
Have you flipped the ground +/- switch on the back of the amp?

There could be some kind of issue with pickup wiring in those 2 guitars. Have you tried them with other amps to see if the noise is still there?

Sounds like your amp/guitar could be picking up the noise from the fan.

If you're on channel 3, which is high gain, its going to amplifier any noise alot more than on channel 1/2.

Makes sense that it is only your guitars with passive pickups too. If you are using high-output pickups (like those wolfgangs) it will be more prone to feedback/pikcups noise. The active pickups themselfs, ignoring the active pre-amp, are generally not as hot/lower output (less windings etc..) so may not pickup the same background noise/interference.

When you roll the volume down on your guitar does the noise go down too?

GearHaven":3p6317yl said:
There could be some kind of issue with pickup wiring in those 2 guitars. Have you tried them with other amps to see if the noise is still there?

I've tried the Wolfgang on a buddies Mesa (it's not a Mark V) and the diesel engine idling sound wasn't there.

I moved the power strip to another location and the clicking noise has stopped, but there's a really loud hum. It's a lot louder than the normal hum of a tube amp. Once I get my G-String back from a friend, I'm hoping it'll clean up the hum.

It's probably an issue with the wiring of the outlets were you're plugging the amp -most likely, the lack of proper grounding could be causing that disturbing noise.

I'm going to try another outlet in my place to see if the hum subsides. Thanks again for all the help, it's greatly appreciated.

taliababa":5prinsdw said:
I'm going to try another outlet in my place to see if the hum subsides. Thanks again for all the help, it's greatly appreciated.
Always remember that, if you don't have proper grounding were you live, you most probably don't have a ground connection on any power outlet there.

Back