New 50 watt Bogner 3534 ?? Discussion is open.

Agreed, it’s interesting though because a lot of Bogner Aficionados don’t like the post 94
I believe Bogner did a mod that upped the gain , I think it sounds killer but the more classic rock guys seems to say the early pre 94 gain mod were a bit less compressed and open
Yes except you are off by @10 years. Gain increase came about 2004. I am one of those guys you speak of... I had 100b serial number 001. it was made in Feb 1992 IIRC the bottom of the footswitc was dated. It might have been 1991 or 1993. but think it was 92. 101b was pretty fresh iteration in 1994. Might have even still been the white chassis 101 with cabinet switching in 1994.. not sure of exact dates anymore.. The amp is the clip is one of the early 101b.

Last edited:
Did you get it yet?
Yes it came yesterday. I have not had much time to check it out yet.. From what I hear so far, I like it and may have to keep it. The loop master works awesome for bringing it down to really low volumes and still sounding fat and feeling great under the fingers. Definitely more gradual onset of gain than the 35 water from what I can recall having playing one on a few occasions at Velco Fly's. I have Marshall tone imprinted in my brain so I have to remind myself , this is not meant to out-Marshall my Marshalls. Over the weekend I will have a chance to crank it and check it out more thoroughly.

Yes except you are off by @10 years. Gain increase came about 2004. I am one of those guys you speak of... I had 100b serial number 001. it was made in Feb 1992 IIRC the bottom of the footswitc was dated. It might have been 1991 or 1993. but think it was 92. 101b was pretty fresh iteration in 1994. Might have even still been the white chassis 101 with channel switching in 1994.. not sure of exact dates anymore.. The amp is the clip is one of the early 101b.
If you are a fan of the more open less compressed from what the guys at Bogner are saying that’s what the 50 watt is more aimed at
So maybe it is more in vein of the 90s models and not the later gain mod ones , that’s promising because I love that Red channel clip

We have a 3534 in our rehearsal space. I am stoked! That little thing can keep up even with our drummer who smacks the shit out of his set... Love the sound and the feel under my fingers. It sounds a bit more modern than a regular xtc, but I think I may actually prefer it for what we play and what I like to hear in the band mix. Still, quite an expensive amp here in europe but man, what a surprise!

What‘s the verdict?
Well after so many amps, I have learned to give it some time before making any bold claims. But I like this amp. It definitely has more of the original sound and feel on the blue channel than the 35. Red channels seems less over the top and useable for much if not all of the gain sweep. Green channels reminds more of my old 100b. Bold and hard and very little breakup even with gain cranked. Not much to speak of in terms of dirty clean. It mostly just clean clean. The boost function (blue and red) and lots of hair, a pretty significant volume jump and a heap of lows which I don't love for most things hi gain. Overall , it is very good amp. A nice smoother alternative to playing through 800's most of the time.

Last edited:
Well after so many amps, I have learned to give it some time before making any bold claims. But I like this amp. It definitely has more of the original sound and feel on the blue channel than the 35. Red channels seems less over the top and useable for much if not all of the gain sweep. Green channels reminds more of my old 100b. Bold and hard and very little breakup even with gain cranked. Not much to speak of in terms of dirty clean. It mostly just clean clean. The boost function (blue and red) and lots of hair, a pretty significant volume jump and a heap of lows which I don't love for most things hi gain. Overall , it is very good amp. A nice smoother alternative to playing through 800's most of the time.
Would you say the red can hit the same tones as Blake’s clip of the 96 Version or would you need to hit it still with a boost to get to that ?

I had the original version and the blue channel seemed to be lacking a little gain. It sounded good with the boost on but needed a little help with it off. Does the 50 solve that?

I had the original version and the blue channel seemed to be lacking a little gain. It sounded good with the boost on but needed a little help with it off. Does the 50 solve that?
Tough to say since I no longer have a 100 or 101 to compare it to. Plus the 101b seemed to vary a bit in tone and the amount of gain on the blue channels at least to some degree. I think I have had 14 xtc's in all over the last 25 years and none of them sounded quite the same. If memory serves this is a bout the same amount of gain as all but the hottest of the them. Maybe it has a bit more? Tough to sat from memory. But I would say that if you are craving lots of gain you will need to boost the blue on this one too. Tho boost really changes the character a lot. It adds a lot of lows (not crazy about that for the most part) and a fair bit of a volume jump in addition to gain. The red channel has plenty of gain with out the boost but not such a mushy mess like before.

What cabs/speakers are you guys using with the 35(50)34?
Soldano Vertical 212 with v 30.. sound ok but a little spikey sounding cab in general. maybe because its a slant so its kind of in your face sounding.

Bogner 112 Shiva cab also a V30. awesome cab. sounds great!!

Mesa widebody 112 with Mesa C90 meh. sounds kinda dull and boxy compared to the Bogner.

Hiwatt Vert 212 with Fanes.. haven't tried it much but t seems to sound ok, but that cab is a little darker sounding, so probably not the best match.

I wish I still had some 412's with greenbacks and blackbacks. I remember those cabs sounding great with the 101b.

Would you say the red can hit the same tones as Blake’s clip of the 96 Version or would you need to hit it still with a boost to get to that ?
I don't think it needs a boost to get that level of gain however it may not sounds just like that. Lots of other factors in the tone, but the amp is capable.

Some further takes on the Ecstasy 50...

All I all I really like it and is definitely worth having. It sounds much like it's big brother. at least from what I can tell from memory. I can't say that about the first 3534. That amp sounded more modern and did't have as much of the woody tone and elastic, bouncy feeling that is characteristic of the XTC. This amp has that!

I don't have tons of other amps as a point of reference but I did a little a/b with what I do have.

Compared to my 4104's . There is almost zero common ground. Opposite ends of spectrum The 800 is brash and raw, Ecstasy is polished and refined.

DSL 50 . Ecstasy sounds much sweeter and way more versatile, but the DSL sounds like a hot rodded Marshall. Nothings does Marshall better than Marshall.

Mesa Mark IV. The Bogner holds up pretty well and is easier to dial in, but the Mark IV is it's own animal. If only it didn't weigh 80 pounds. It is for sale in the classifieds but after tonight's comparison, I may pull the ad. That amp is a monster.

SLO 30. Here is where I was very surprised. I had this amp before and loved it! I only sold it because I needed money at that the time. When I had it Velro Fly had a 3534 35 water.. we both thought the SLO 30 was much much better. Now a year or two later I borrowed his SL0 30 to compare to to the XTC 50.. This time around I like the XTC 50 much better than the SLO 30. This so weird because because as much as I love both Soldano and Bogner amps and played them since the 90's if push came to shove and I had to pick one, it was the SLO but it was a tough call. . In the case there is zero wavering... Just like like it was no contest when I chose the SLO 30 over the original 3534... I am curious to see if Velcro fly's take is the same or my ears are trippin'.

1966 Bassman. No surprises here... the Ecstasy 50 and the Bassman sound almost identical no matter how I twist the knobs...... :ROFLMAO:

Overall takeaway. I like it and it is ear pleasing change from Marshall, Marshall, Marshall all the time.. This amp is fun, versatile, easy to play and sounds and feels great at all volumes.. even very low speaking volume.. Comes alive and and opens up with some volume.. loop works great. ( loop Master is really handy). The onboard boost is nice but depending on amp settings, can get a little too fat and woofy, but it really helps add that extra chunk, especially on the blue channel.

I will make some clips if I find the time and motivation. .

Last edited:
Jdub - Try running the Bogner and the Soldano in stereo. Trust me on this one. Back in the day I ran a Bogner 100b and a SLO 100 together and it did not suck.

Some further takes on the Ecstasy 50...

All I all I really like it and is definitely worth having. It sounds much like it's big brother. at least from what I can tell from memory. I can't say that about the first 3534. That amp sounded more modern and did't have as much of the woody tone and elastic, bouncy feeling that is characteristic of the XTC. This amp has that!

I don't have tons of other amps as a point of reference but I did a little a/b with what I do have.

Compared to my 4104's . There is almost zero common ground. Opposite ends of spectrum The 800 is brash and raw, Ecstasy is polished and refined.

DSL 50 . Ecstasy sounds much sweeter and way more versatile, but the DSL sounds like a hot rodded Marshall. Nothings does Marshall better than Marshall.

Mesa Mark IV. The Bogner holds up pretty well and is easier to dial in, but the Mark IV is it's own animal. If only it didn't weigh 80 pounds. It is for sale in the classifieds but after tonight's comparison, I may pull the ad. That amp is a monster.

SLO 30. Here is where I was very surprised. I had this amp before and loved it! I only sold it because I needed money at that the time. When I had it Velro Fly had a 3534 35 water.. we both thought the SLO 30 was much much better. Now a year or two later I borrowed his SL0 30 to compare to to the XTC 50.. This time around I like the XTC 50 much better than the SLO 30. This so weird because because as much as I love both Soldano and Bogner amps and played them since the 90's if push came to shove and I had to pick one, it was the SLO but it was a tough call. . In the case there is zero wavering... Just like like it was no contest when I chose the SLO 30 over the original 3534... I am curious to see if Velcro fly's take is the same or my ears are trippin'.

1966 Bassman. No surprises here... the Ecstasy 50 and the Bassman sound almost identical no matter how I twist the knobs...... :ROFLMAO:

Overall takeaway. I like it and it is ear pleasing change from Marshall, Marshall, Marshall all the time.. This amp is fun, versatile, easy to play and sounds and feels great at all volumes.. even very low speaking volume.. Comes alive and and opens up with some volume.. loop works great. ( loop Master is really handy). The onboard boost is nice but depending on amp settings, can get a little too fat and woofy, but it really helps add that extra chunk, especially on the blue channel.

I will make some clips if I find the time and motivation. .
Thanks for the update Jdub
If you do have time in the future I would love to hear a clip even quick drop d
It’s sounds like the amp does have the gain reserves but maybe just a slightly different gain structure to the 101b a bit less saturation perhaps

Jdub - Try running the Bogner and the Soldano in stereo. Trust me on this one. Back in the day I ran a Bogner 100b and a SLO 100 together and it did not suck.
Oh Yeah!!! I have done that before... lots over the years actually.. It is an epic combo!! Bogner 100b serial - - / (001) and a 1989 SLO was the first time I tried it. Did not suck at all!!

Back