New 50 watt Bogner 3534 ?? Discussion is open.

I just got one Friday. I'm a 100 watt guy thru and thru,but I am really digging this amp. Not near the low end thump and headroom my 20th ann.xtc has,although this thing rips and sounds great.
Tons of gain.Boost is nice.Every ch is 100% usable.I like to put an amp thru its paces and right now I'm dialing in low gain tones ala country rock with a tele.Then I will work on rock shred and metal tones later on with the jacksons. It definitely gives up its goods a lot quicker than the big boy versions.But u may prefer that too.Lots of nice el34 grit and grind. Biggest thing ( as with the big boy amps) is deciding where u like to set the excursion,b1& b2 switches as these make huge changes in tone and feel.
I like the amp.Definitely has that chewy,woody,bogner tone thing going on.

I had the original version and the blue channel seemed to be lacking a little gain. It sounded good with the boost on but needed a little help with it off. Does the 50 solve that?
Yes it does. With a humbucker you’ll have no problem in N mode to get sweet gain tones without the boost on. It won’t get liquidity lead tones but awesome crunchy tones. If you set in B1 or B2 you’ll get more liquidy tones. Bottom line blue channel has more gain in the N mode than the old 3534.

Last edited:
Michael Nielsen just posted a 35 watt vs 50 watt Ecstasy video:

Still hoping Blake Mansfield gets one on his channel. He just did a video on the MGL100 which is cool. Hoping to hear his thoughts on the 50 watt Ecstasy. I remember him liking the 35 watt Ecstasy, but he mentioned it sounded a bit small. Curious to see if he likes the 50 watt more and if it compares well to the Goldfinger.

I checked out that Michael Nielsen video yesterday and IMO, the Bogner 35W sounded better for the blue and red channels.
Definitely more woody and chewy than, say an EVH 50W, but more modern and aggressive than the Bogner 50W.
The Bogner 50W's cleans were next level though.
But all the talk about the fx-loop noise, makes buying a 35W version a bit of a crap-shoot, eh?
I'm running pedals at home, not rack gear.

I checked out that Michael Nielsen video yesterday and IMO, the Bogner 35W sounded better for the blue and red channels.
Definitely more woody and chewy than, say an EVH 50W, but more modern and aggressive than the Bogner 50W.
The Bogner 50W's cleans were next level though.
But all the talk about the fx-loop noise, makes buying a 35W version a bit of a crap-shoot, eh?
I'm running pedals at home, not rack gear.
I didn’t have any issues with the loop on the 35w I had but I did hear others did

I really wanted to like the 50. The gain amount range was much more usable IMO than the 35 (the 35 Red channel is way too much), and the boost was great IMO as a lead boost. But it didn't have the same bite or growl that I get from the 35. On the 50, low notes especially had a round or fat quality to them that was too smooth for me.

Maybe someday I will hack into my 35 Red channel and try to mod it for much less gain. There was a cap clip mod on TGP years ago; it made little difference to my ears.

The 35 loop, I read somewhere that the 35 loop problem was fixed in later amps? Also, early 35s had a little knob in the back by the power tubes, that's an external adjustment for the bias. Apparently people were messing with it thinking it was EQ or something, and Bogner didn't put it in later amps. So one way to tell a later 35 from earlier ones could be if it does not have the little knob by the power tubes.

I inquired about one of the 50 watt versions at a local dealer and they more or less didn’t even want to attempt to order one saying a real Bogner (101b) would be a far better option…

Anyone know what that’s about?

I inquired about one of the 50 watt versions at a local dealer and they more or less didn’t even want to attempt to order one saying a real Bogner (101b) would be a far better option…

Anyone know what that’s about?
Yeah, it’s about $2000 more....

I’ve owned a few 101’s, a Classic, a 35 watt 3534 and pit an hour or so into the 50 watt version. If size was no issue I would get the 101 and probably a Classic. Small format the 50 watt 3534.

Owning the 50 and a 20th xtc 6l6, the 50 is definitely not as full or big or thick a tone like the 20th,but the 50 has a ton of usable gain. And both the 34 and 50 seem like they're voiced in the modern mode.100 xtc has vintage/ modern mode selection which is a very valuable option to have.So it's a little harder to get vintagey sounds of it than the 20th.
But the 50 xtc is definitely more vintage than the 34 xtc.Turn the 50 up tho and a real nice warmth and better feel of the amp comes back in.Micheal Nelson's video seemed to confirm what I thought too.

Last edited:
Back