New Demo "Freeze". Critique Needed!

Taylord

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and wanted to share a new song I've been working on! I've had this idea for a while, and decided to post the first incarnation of the song, with the hope of getting feedback and constructive criticism! I've been struggling with getting my mix louder without sacrificing clarity and balance.

I used my Ibanez rg770 with the Bkp Holydiver/Coldsweat combo through my Axe-fx. For Bass I used my Schecter stiletto 5 string through a Cubase amp simulator. Drums are the S2.0 Avatar with the Metal Machine kick blended underneath. Thank you for checking it out!

https://soundcloud.com/taylord-2/freeze-updated

I think it's a neat balance between the crunchy and the cleans in the writing. I think the gainy guitars need a little something to push them, maybe just a little higher in the mix or a bit more presence? The whole song is well done, but it seems to just slide on by without something that makes me go "whoa".

That's fair. Others have said that maybe more layers or lead lines might make it more interesting. I'm not very good, so my riffs are kind of bland.

Thanks a lot for checking it out man!

Another band that does a similar delayed clean mixed with chunky guitars is Periphery (Misha Mansoor or Bulb on youtube). Check them out for comparison.

There isn't anything wrong with it. It's a demo and not a finished track so i mean the mix could be better but mixes can always be better. It depends on what you're going for as far as the content being "too monotonous" as one of the commenters put on your SC. Bands like Sanhet or russian circles are a good example of bands that some people find boring as hell and others love to pieces. If you are think a song is good, take a step back and see if it needs anything, if it doesnt (in your mind), its fine. Other people will pick apart any song if you give them a chance at control. I think through the process of getting a band in the studio and putting it to tape with more solid production the song will refine itself into what you want.

Back