New Friedman amp in the house!

BleedingEdge

A week or so ago received a Friedman original amp. Supposed to be a 60 watter, but similar to EVH's original. Sounds great. Clearly it's a professional tool, like my Wizard Modern Classic 50 watter. It doesn't hide anything. It's the kind of amp that can make you a better player even if you play with a lot of distortion. As for hitting EVH tones, it's in there I'm sure, but there's a lot that's up to me as a player. Dave put it in a Blankenship Custom 45 Headcase and chassis. The Depth control works very well - as good as any out there. Power Drive is subtle. Both these knobs are on the back. The Wizard feels a lot louder, and I can crank the Friedman amp decently well in my basement, but maybe it's just a more effective and smoothly ramping master. I still think to get the tone and the feel amps like these are meant to be cranked. Dave said it's safe to be variac'd down to 90, so I've been playing with that, and it definitely gets one closer to the brown sound to do so. I'm not sure where this amp fits into the evolution of Friedman amps, and I'm not sure what Friedman mod might be similar. It was conceived and ordered back in 07. Too, I don't know how anyone could tell this was not a Blankenship. But it's a Friedman, and I'm pretty dang honored to own it. It goes up on top of a killer stack - Scumback M75s on the bottom and Celestion Greenback G12M 20 watters on the top, both in Stone Age cabs.

Picture017.jpg

Also, this is my Lynchbox 1x12 that was actually built for and used by Lynch, but which was retooled by Dave to be more like Lynch himself would really like - new OT and other tricks, as well as two modules modded by Dave - a Brahma and Mr. Scary. The wonderful job he did on this is what led me to order the EVH-styled amp from him.

Picture002.jpg

I'll see what I can do in the clips dept. I retubed the preamp section (3 tubes) with early 70s Mullards, which sound a ton better, smoother, more complex than the Chinese tubes that were in there. I'm currently getting it modded for external bias pots on top of the chassis so I can swap power tubes easy and easily dial it in bias-wise as well, especially since I'll be using it with a Variac a lot. I've got some fat bottle Sylvania 6CA7s that I'll be putting in there, which I imagine will be an improvement over the el34s that it came with. I figure if it really is the EVH circuit, may as well feed it the real EVH-era tubes.

Back