New Friedman amp. SS. v2

What I love about Friedman is that they deliver something new all the time
Yes, but when was the last time they made one with a sound that was actually that different or new? 2011 maybe? Seems to be mostly just more features other than maybe the JEL model

Last edited:
had the good fortune of playing most of the friedman line and SS v1 and JEL are excellent amps.

i also think the dirty shirley and small box are sweet.

this SS V2 sounds like it has added gain and tighter attack which may be important for some. honestly it sounds more like a high gain boogie than a marshall in these new clips. not a bad thing just different.

Pretty nice sounding but I almost feel like his " not too dirty" rythm channel is my lead channel. I still prefer his old tones with an actual plexi. They cut more than the friedman stuff. So far his JEL amp is the best one me thinks...opened up in the MV
True.
I had a mega-loaded Marsha.
Plenty of fangs in the high’s.
Much less throaty in the the bass/mid/treble
frequencies as well.
For me dude, hands down, the Naked amp
was the rawest, crunchiest of the butthole lineup.
Clean channel-worthless.
The built in boost was on point.
Just straight up killer high gain AC/DC.
Cheers!!

True.
I had a mega-loaded Marsha.
Plenty of fangs in the high’s.
Much less throaty in the the bass/mid/treble
frequencies as well.
For me dude, hands down, the Naked amp
was the rawest, crunchiest of the butthole lineup.
Clean channel-worthless.
The built in boost was on point.
Just straight up killer high gain AC/DC.
Cheers!!
Yeah I remember liking the Naked a bit more than others (based on the Naylor I think), but not as much as an actual Naylor

Yes, but when was the last time they made one with a sound that was actually that different or new? 2014 maybe? Seems to be mostly just more features other than maybe the JEL model

This Phil X amp is pretty different in tone and feel than the SS100. Probably not as different as the DS but enough to easily tell. But like just about every amp in this area they can be dialed in close.

This Phil X amp is pretty different in tone and feel than the SS100. Probably not as different as the DS but enough to easily tell. But like just about every amp in this area they can be dialed in close.
I owned a Phil X for a while. More open and punchy than his other models, but like you said still sounded overall like a Friedman (smooth, polite-ish). Once I got my ccv I listed it after AB’ing

I owned a Phil X for a while. More open and punchy than his other models, but like you said still sounded overall like a Friedman (smooth, polite-ish). Once I got my ccv I listed it after AB’ing

It’s funny because even though the X is based on a newer amp the SS100 (V1) seems much more modern. The SS100 V2 sounds even more modern but that’s recored while mic’d up and whatnot. I think most amp demos have more gain and sound more modern than playing them in person…probably just part of the signal-chain and overall process.

I consider the X my higher gain late 70s amp and the SS100 my modern modded Marshall amp if that makes sense. Both are good at different things but not light years apart if you turn enough knobs. I go back and forth depending on what I’m going for.

It’s funny because even though the X is based on a newer amp the SS100 (V1) seems much more modern. The SS100 V2 sounds even more modern but that’s recored while mic’d up and whatnot. I think most amp demos have more gain and sound more modern than playing them in person…probably just part of the signal-chain and overall process.

I consider the X my higher gain late 70s amp and the SS100 my modern modded Marshall amp if that makes sense. Both are good at different things but not light years apart if you turn enough knobs. I go back and forth depending on what I’m going for.
I can see that. I think of them maybe as more like modern takes on vintage sounds. I’d rather hear a modern take on a modern sounds that’s also modern in a way that’s actually good haha, but that seems to be a really tall order I guess. Schroeder amps actually achieve this for me, but for clean to mid gain tones

Back