New hi gain amps to look for?

OldGtrGuy

Used to be on here a long time ago. Signed up again because im curious about some amps. Particularly the Uber Ultra.

I saw a bunch of threads about that amp specifically but I'm interested in others too. I heard a 6L6 clip today and I was blown away.

I used to have a Rev 2 and I think the 6l6 Ultra just sounded insane. I love very saturated amps I suppose. I've had many amps and I guess the Uber or a monomyth mod Origin have been my favorites.

I did enjoy the Cali but it took way too much work to get a sound and for the price tag I can't consider thr pumpkin.

Anyway what is new? I've been out of the loop for a long time. What amps should I be looking at?

Reactions: Geo
Used to be on here a long time ago. Signed up again because im curious about some amps. Particularly the Uber Ultra.

I saw a bunch of threads about that amp specifically but I'm interested in others too. I heard a 6L6 clip today and I was blown away.

I used to have a Rev 2 and I think the 6l6 Ultra just sounded insane. I love very saturated amps I suppose. I've had many amps and I guess the Uber or a monomyth mod Origin have been my favorites.

I did enjoy the Cali but it took way too much work to get a sound and for the price tag I can't consider thr pumpkin.

Anyway what is new? I've been out of the loop for a long time. What amps should I be looking at?
Anything EVH

Anything EVH
So after I made the post the first thing I thought was that lol.

I really enjoyed the 50w EL34 5153. Never tried the 100w but I do like higher wattage amps in general.

I did not like the regular evh 51503 but I like the Peavey stuff all around.

So after I made the post the first thing I thought was that lol.

I really enjoyed the 50w EL34 5153. Never tried the 100w but I do like higher wattage amps in general.

I did not like the regular evh 51503 but I like the Peavey stuff all around.
You may dig the Iconic.

Was also looking at the Revv 100r? Can't remember if it was the R or P but on paper the one with the more saturated channel would suit me. I haven't been able to try one and the videos online left a bit to be desired.

Was also looking at the Revv 100r? Can't remember if it was the R or P but on paper the one with the more saturated channel would suit me. I haven't been able to try one and the videos online left a bit to be desired.
Yeah, it's not like the old days when we could try many different amps locally.

Yeah I remember guitar center used to have at least 5 "boutique" amps at any time. I live in St Louis and there's Eddie's guitars who used to have even more but I haven't looked in ages. I think they don't let people walk in anymore. Appointments only.

• Wow
Yeah I remember guitar center used to have at least 5 "boutique" amps at any time. I live in St Louis and there's Eddie's guitars who used to have even more but I haven't looked in ages. I think they don't let people walk in anymore. Appointments only.
Things have changed so much.

Also, although not my thing, the amp modelers out there sound pretty amazing.

Haha so I just looked at Eddie's. Last time I went there I probably tried 20 amps. Orange, Diesel, Bogner, Diamond, CAA, etc. It was like Disneyland. I just looked at their website and they have a total of 2 amp heads in stock.

Had digital completely taken over the market? Or is it economical effects?

Had digital completely taken over the market? Or is it economical effects?
Well, us old dinosaur types still need tube amps but one could argue that the modelers are more popular.

If you are looking to do recording, they make life so much easier. Miking cabs has become almost obsolete.

Here are a list of some currently available production amps (I’m not a fan of all of these but thought I’d put a list together- ones I personally liked will be marked with *)
Mezzabarba Mzero Od/Trinity*
Driftwood Purple Nightmare/Darkest Nightmare*
Redseven Leviathan/ Duality*
Lichtlaerm Prometheus*
Carstens Grace/Empire*
Bogner Uber Ultra/ Pandora*
Revv Generator
MLC Vogg/ Silenoz
Mesa Mark VII/JP2C
ENGL se founders edition
Omega Granophyre/ Obsidian
Headfirst Alta*
Ground Zero Hellion*
Monomyth Skeleton Key*
Diezel Herbert MK3*
KSR Colossus
Fortin Evil Pumpkin
EVH 5150 (50w/100w, stealth, el34 and 6l6)*
EVH Iconic
Peavey Invective
Wizard Hell Razor/MCII/MTL *

They aren’t production in the same way as the others but Hermansson recto mods and Gower Marshall mods are still available to and sound awesome

I’m sure I skipped a bunch but these are a bunch of newish (mostly heavy) amps :)

Back