New house, new room, new mixes. Jeff loomis: rev F, Rhodes colossus

Sounds great, man. Drum-wise the snare is maybe a little too direct feeling during the melodic leads. Seems there's a bit of room for some more audible reverb on it during those passages that would add to the overall vibe. Guitars sound killer IMO. The Rhodes seems to fill in the empty space in the middle left by the Recto perfectly. All your clips of that Rev F are making me feel like I need more Mesa. I just got a JP2C and now I'm looking at Rectos which in the past I could never get on with.

Thanks man. Automating some extra reverb on the chorus would be great, great idea. The Rectos can be finicky for some for sure, but it’s often my go to for just about anything heavy. I think the beauty of them is that they can be shaped so much by different boost pedals, and both channels provide amazing and very different overdrive tones. The Orange channel/ch1 in modern mode is ridiculously thick, slightly darker and kind of a secret weapon I feel like at this point, because so many people just immediately go to the red channel when looking for high gain tones which is great also. But the Orange channel is where it’s at often for me anyways. However, this was on the red channel, as it’s brighter and has less low end, which I felt fit this better on rhythms.

Thanks man. Automating some extra reverb on the chorus would be great, great idea. The Rectos can be finicky for some for sure, but it’s often my go to for just about anything heavy. I think the beauty of them is that they can be shaped so much by different boost pedals, and both channels provide amazing and very different overdrive tones. The Orange channel/ch1 in modern mode is ridiculously thick, slightly darker and kind of a secret weapon I feel like at this point, because so many people just immediately go to the red channel when looking for high gain tones which is great also. But the Orange channel is where it’s at often for me anyways. However, this was on the red channel, as it’s brighter and has less low end, which I felt fit this better on rhythms.
There's something the Rectifiers have when done right that nothing else has. Just a raw openness and aggressive midrange that fits some things perfectly.

I initially did not like them at all. My first experience with them was a couple times using another band's setup at some shows. This would have been late 90's or maybe 2000-2001, so it was most likely a 2 channel of some sort. We used to play tons of shows with a band called Abominant in the KY/TN/IN/OH areas. They had better gear than us because we were just teenagers and didn't have much money. They offered to let us just play their rigs a couple times because we were friends and so they could go ahead and have stuff set up for their set. I was stoked the first time to play on Timmy's Recto setup...and to me at least at the time and with his settings, it sounded so thin and harsh and abrasive but simultaneously flubby and I hated it. Nobody I knew of really boosted at that time and I was very clueless about gear and shit anyway. I bought a fucking Blue Voodoo for christ's sake.

I tried Rectos out a few times over the years, usually the 3 channel models of the mid-late 2000's and had no idea what I was doing with them. Again, hated them. Not until I was visiting a buddy who had an older 2 channel, maybe a Rev G, that was dialed in and boosted did I finally get impressed by one in person.

Dude, you're in O-Town.
F*** the machines, I'll bring acoustic drums
sheathed' in human carcasses...
You used to play out around Nashville, right?
I live in East Nashville/little 5 points and
have a house in Lutz( just north of Tampa).
As Private 1st Class Marine and smartgun beast
"Vasquez" from Aliens shouted: "LET'S ROCK!"

Dude, you're in O-Town.
F*** the machines, I'll bring acoustic drums
sheathed' in human carcasses...
You used to play out around Nashville, right?
I live in East Nashville/little 5 points and
have a house in Lutz( just north of Tampa).
As Private 1st Class Marine and smartgun beast
"Vasquez" from Aliens shouted: "LET'S ROCK!"

Bring down some 5 points pizza and mas tacos and IM IN!!!!

I live on orange/modern on my G/C Triple. It’s so much more raw, rude and brutal than red.

I live on orange/modern on my G/C Triple. It’s so much more raw, rude and brutal than red.
I also just use the orange on my Triple Rev F/C and Rev D. Whenever I go to the red channel I’ll feel it sounds really good, but like my iic+ better, but nothing else is like that orange channel. Has a throaty, fiery growl like no other. It’s the closest thing to the idealized growl I’ve had in my head since starting guitar in my teens. For rock stuff I also sometimes like the green mode with a boost and gain dimed

I was going to ask, if you didn't use sample or SD3 , what did you use to get the drums in that demo? The compromise for me is E kit and removing the FX on SD3 and using the raw kits. They are still tuned exceptionally and in a great space with great mics so to be honest, it is still sort of "cheating" but it goes to show you the closer you get to the sound you want, the easier it is to mix the material.

500 series, welcome to the money pit. Also, I posted about access analog and mix:analog hardware plugins in the cloud yesterday, check them out. Didn't get much traction here but it is cool to have as an option too if you don't want to drop thousands more into hardware that gets used an hour a month.

Killer stuff and congrats on all the newness :cheers:

Great mixing and playing. Seemed like the rhythm guitar was tuned down a bit but it was probably just my ears and dat recto. With them transient frequencies off the second wind of those transformers be blastin through my laptop and blowin on my pants legs. whooosh.

Sounds great dude, wow! Rhythm, leads, drums, everything. Nice!

Hey, would you mind walking through the Recto signal path please? It's a gigantic tone but it also seems super tight, and "tight" isn't exactly what Recto's are known for lol. Are you running any boosts in front? What pickups are you using there?

Yeah man I've been preaching this for a while now too. A Recto's greatest weakness (too much low end from the guitar being routed into the preamp gain stages) is also its greatest strength, as it lets a savvy guitar player cut bass exactly as much as he needs to perfect the balance between low end wallop and tightness/clarity of distortion.

Last edited:
Sounds great dude, wow! Rhythm, leads, drums, everything. Nice!

Hey, would you mind walking through the Recto signal path please? It's a gigantic tone but it also seems super tight, and "tight" isn't exactly what Recto's are known for lol. Are you running any boosts in front? What pickups are you using there?

Yeah man I've been preaching this for a while now too. A Recto's greatest weakness (too much low end from the guitar being routed into the preamp gain stages) is also its greatest strength, as it lets a savvy guitar player cut bass exactly as much as he needs to perfect the balance between low end wallop and tightness/clarity of distortion.

Sure man. Signal path was real simple. DI out of my Creation audio MW-1 reamp/DI rack into my recto, red channel. Boost was a maxon 808. Settings on the amp were all hovering around noon, presence about 11 o’clock, mids about 11 o’clock, bass about 1 o’clock, treble about 1 o’clock etc. BAE 1073 mic pre, unidyne 57 on a recto OS right on the grille about an inch or so off center from the cap, that’s it! EQ was minimal in post, high/low pass at 65hz/12k, a slight cut maybe at 330hz and a more wide cut about 1db at 500hz, and a small low shelf cut about 1db at 250 hz. Wasn’t much else to it. Playing with the mic position is key here. The rectos can be pretty tight. Especially the rev F’s here’s a clip of DI from the haunted/Ola with no boost on my rev F, I can’t remember if it was the red or Orange channel, but it goes to show you how tight they can be ( relatively) with great playing. No eq, simple high and low pass.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/tjMBmBmvevdjRAfa9

Sure man. Signal path was real simple. DI out of my Creation audio MW-1 reamp/DI rack into my recto, red channel. Boost was a maxon 808. Settings on the amp were all hovering around noon, presence about 11 o’clock, mids about 11 o’clock, bass about 1 o’clock, treble about 1 o’clock etc. BAE 1073 mic pre, unidyne 57 on a recto OS right on the grille about an inch or so off center from the cap, that’s it! EQ was minimal in post, high/low pass at 65hz/12k, a slight cut maybe at 330hz and a more wide cut about 1db at 500hz, and a small low shelf cut about 1db at 250 hz. Wasn’t much else to it. Playing with the mic position is key here. The rectos can be pretty tight. Especially the rev F’s here’s a clip of DI from the haunted/Ola with no boost on my rev F, I can’t remember if it was the red or Orange channel, but it goes to show you how tight they can be ( relatively) with great playing. No eq, simple high and low pass.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/tjMBmBmvevdjRAfa9

Thanks for walking through the gear used in the track, appreciate it!

Also, that rev f clip sounds huge. And super tight, wow. I recently got a Dual Recto Multi Watt and haven't been able to get it to sound tight like that on its own at all. Then again it's my first Recto and I only got to play around with it for a little while before discovering there was something wrong with the channel and mode switching network, so it's in the shop right now for warranty work. When I get it back home I'm looking forward to seeing how close I can get it to something like that. I've never heard a Recto do that without a boost, that's really cool.

Last edited:
..... unidyne 57 on a recto OS right on the grille about an inch or so off center from the cap, that’s it! EQ was minimal in post, high/low pass at 65hz/12k, a slight cut maybe at 330hz and a more wide cut about 1db at 500hz, and a small low shelf cut about 1db at 250 hz. Wasn’t much else to it. Playing with the mic position is key here.

This is such great advice - for recording any high gain amp, not just the recto.

Getting the source (guitar/boost/amp/signal path) and mic position (either IRL or virtual) perfect are always the key, and any post EQ should be very light and subtractive.

If you have to go crazy with post EQ then you probably didn't get it miced/virtual miced right, or you didn't get a good tone to begin with.

Contrary to, *ahem*, what certain "scientifically inclined" ebook authors say, you can't just "fix shit" by swapping IRs and slapping a post EQ band-aid on it.

Thanks for walking through gear used in the track, appreciate it!

Also, that rev f clip sounds huge. And super tight, wow. I recently got a Dual Recto Multi Watt and haven't been able to get it to sound tight like that on its own at all. Then again it's my first Recto and I only got to play around with it for a little while before discovering there was something wrong with the channel and mode switching network, so it's in the shop right now for warranty work. When I get it back home I'm looking forward to seeing how close I can get it to something like that. I've never heard a Recto do that without a boost, that's really cool.

I think if I sent you the DI and you reamped it, and eq’d while the DI was playing, you’d be surprised. The clip to me is more of a testament of how important killer playing really is, and shows that often we are limited to what an amp can actually do by the playing itself! But this is straight into the amp, with a great player/DI track, and that’s what you get! It’s a great great tone and response I think. I put up a few comparison clips with this DI months ago, and I believe this was overwhelmingly the favorite even compared to other amps of mine boosted. It just wins, great great amp.

Back