New or Used

Do you prefer new or used equipment

• Total voters

Artjr

I love old beat up guitars and amps, they just seem to have more character to me. New stuff always gets sold or returned. Just wanted to know what the majority thinks.

Used speaker cabinets in clean well used condition all day. Speakers already well broken in.
Guitars depends on price and condition. Some will buy a guitar in a limited condition just to flip it for more money.
I’ve got a buddies 76 Les Paul custom that’s been played nearly to death. It had some funk all over the front if the guitar and on the neck. Like crisco infused with nicotine that turned to a semi hard coat. Dawn couldn’t touch it. I get it off and set up the guitar. It had new frets. Plays like butter.
Mojo for days.
Amps price and condition depending

Funny people will dole out extreme amounts of extra cash for a aged guitar from the factory but if a amp has a tolex tear or ding they freak out. 😂

Myself if it’s in good working order and the price is fair I’m not picky. It’s all about the tone.

Guitars: Both new & used. I build my own most of the time so I guess that's technically new. Most anything else I buy are project guitars or stuff from the 80's/90's so used in those cases.
Cabs: That's the same as guitars. Mostly used as projects to fix up or I build my own. I do have two Egnater cabs I bought on closeout and swapped speakers.
Speakers: Prefer used so they're already broken in.
Amps: Those have mostly been used for production amps. Boutique/handwired; not much choice there other than to get new especially when it's a new design or built to order.

Only three pieces of gear that I own were bought new, my 5150II back in 2005, a 2018 Les Paul traditional, and a 2019 Les Paul standard. I played them all first/beforehand. Absolutely everything else I own was purchased used including my cabinets.

I prefer the looks of used.

I’m not against buying new, but it’s usually not financially sound to do so because you’ll take a hit on the used market. I already take a hit on the used market with used gear as it is today, but I do try to minimize how much this stuff costs. I at least want to break even.

I'd say it's more guitars than anything. I just got a old players grade SG and can't put this thing down. This thing just rocks.
0E19CE12-8F56-40EF-AB07-B565FEDABC60.jpeg

Used for cheaper price.

I did thoroughly enjoy buying my Harley Benton new but it was under $500 total. I couldn't find a better used guitar in that range.

I typically buy used though to save a little.

I’m not partial to one or the other. I’d prefer to save by finding nice used gear but if there’s something that’s speaks to me and it’s new l’ll pull the trigger.

I'm betting the majority would feel that it depends on what the item is.

High-tech gear is obviously safer to buy new and doesn't acquire more mojo sound-wise over time.

Geetars, amps and basses, however, get "played-in", which affects their feel and sound.
It definitely depends . But for tube amps I’ll buy used if I can . But say like Hermanson, that’s impossible so if that’s the case I’ll buy new

Back