New pedalboard, high pitched whine

mateias72

Hi all... most likely not an issue with Dave's kit, but i figured I'd post here to see if anyone had experienced anything similar.

I bought a 1530 pedalboard, two Power Grids and a Buffer Bay. I've got a load of pedals coming off a Boss ES-8. I also picked up a Palmer PLI-01, as I'm using the 4-cable config. I'm running:
Gtr-> Buffer Bay -> Palmer PLI-01->TC Poly Tune -> No More Tears Wah->Zvex Box of Rock... after this it goes into the ES-8's input where I have the following in the loops:
- Dunlop Echoplex pedal
- MXR Phase 90
- MXR flanger
- Zvex Fuzz Factory
- Zvex Octane
- Wampler Mini Ego
- Eventide H9
- Strymon El Capistan

Once I've connected everything to the ES-8, I get a high-pitched whine. I thought it might be due to power, so I tried balancing things between the two power grids. No dice. W/O anything else connected to it, the Buffer Bay into the amp is silent, so I'm pretty sure it isn't Dave's kit.

It only goes away if I engage something, like the wah, the Dunlop Echoplex pedal etc. I was thinking perhaps I got the outputs wrong with the 4-cable method (Send vol to amp, Rtn vol to loop send and out 1/l to loop return).

Any ideas?

I do have to say the pedalboard and accessories are really well built, and it is nice to see the attention to detail that went into everything. I wish other manufacturers were as clever, good one Dave & Co.

Thanks... I've spent a day pulling and testing cables, I'm now pretty sure it is some sort of digital noise, it is a whine, perhaps a pedal itself. Dave himself was kind enough respond to me :). that is awesome support! I'll post back once I've sorted this, perhaps it will be of benefit to someone else in the future.

Wee update... turns out iit was the amp I was using to test the pedalboard build, it is a crappy little 1 watt transistor amp that is really sensitive to anything near it.

Connecting the board to my Marshall revealed that all is essentially well, just a minimal amount of noise that I should be able to resolve with some minor configuration changes.

That's what I was going to suggest...proximity of something. Can't tell you how many times I've heard weird noise only to find out it was my cell phone sitting too close or even my watch.

Back