New Shuguang tubes, anyone try them?

I wish they'd figure out how to remake the old coke-bottle designs that Mesa once labeled STR-420.
Every rectifier I've tried the 420s in sounded better like that than with anything else.

The Shuguang factory started producing the Chinese branded tubes again last month. Anyone had a chance to compare them with the originals?
I just received 8 of them Friday from the tube store, I'm gonna throw them in my EVH Stealth later on tonight to replace the NOS Shuguangs I have in there now to preserve them and report back.
Thanks for the heads up , I ordered a few . The Chinese tubes sounds great in my Splawn , I might eventually try them in the Soldano

What about the EL34? The flashing looks different than the EL34B before. I just took a chance and ordered a matched quad plus two of the new preamp tubes for $124 shipped off of eBay. There are a few selling pairs of them (sometimes allegedly matched) for $36 shipped. EG - Amptata and Suzier Audio.

I ended up having to cancel my trip to the rehearsal space over the weekend but got down here today and swapped the new 12AX7B's in, they sound really close to the early 90s tubes but with a punchier low end, I dig them and I'm leaving them in the stealth.

Last edited:
Back