New Slash Signature Magnatone

Slash is an amazing and respectable player that is also an amazing writer.

But for eight thousand fucking dollars I expect a slash dildo included for the fucking they’re giving to every normal player. Back when I was in high school I saved up $1400 for my 5150 and that was even hard to do. You want to know what a high schooler with $4k to burn is getting today? An AXFX III mkii Turbo.

Pricing these where they are is not helping the case of inspiring more musicians and instead smells like a plot to cash out to collectors and Slash himself looking for a paycheck.

I’d honestly just go grab a plethora of cheaper amps out there and sound just as good. It’s a modded 2203 platform - it’s not rocket science. The features aren’t even there…

That's it, I'm heading towards cheap ass amps from here on out and finding great tones. That is absurd.
there are sooooo many great new and used amps out there that can be had for so much less, it's just hard for me to every justify a purchase like this. At least if it was vintage i could count on some level of value appreciation over time.

I really dig the Magnatone aesthetic. I played a Super 59 head in a local shop that was priced cheap at like $999 a year or so ago, thought it sounded good but didn't pull the trigger and regretted it later. Now especially that I realize what they were priced at new.

It's really sad that they went with a box that is basically just a Marshall black/gold again. At least the non-signature Magnatones have some kind of unique design language (even if it's just a plexi box with some silver and grey fabric on the front bottom half)

Price is as ridiculous as I'd expect but I'm not surprised. Totally agree on the cab prices, not just on this one but even regular cabs seem insane to me. Buy a new Marshall cab and it's worth 40% of what you paid as soon as the return period is up, lol. For that price they should let me pick any Celestion combo I want in it so I can at least get something cool.

Well some people aren’t looking very hard for bargains… 🙄

1702995350964.jpeg

Last edited:
I got a chance to play the new lineup of Magnatone amps (they are made here in St Louis) and they are great sounding amps and very high quality, but the sticker shock is real. $3600 for a 1x12 22 watt combo.

$2699 for a 30 X 30 X 14 box with V30's in it. :LOL:
That's ludicrous. Plenty of boutique cabs, (Friedman, Bogner, etc.), for half that new. Used, even less. You'd have to have a screw loose to spend $2699 on the cab. $4899 for the head is equally as insane.

there are sooooo many great new and used amps out there that can be had for so much less, it's just hard for me to every justify a purchase like this. At least if it was vintage i could count on some level of value appreciation over time.
I think this is what's driving me nuts. There are a LOT of amps out there that are more affordable and will get you Slash's sound.

Best example off the top of my head: Bogner Helios 100. I mean, that will get you 99% of the way there if you combine it with a V30 cab and a Les Paul (provided you know how to use your volume and tone controls) and they can be had used for $2100ish in the current market. I mean, you can buy a REAL early 70's non-PCB Plexi for $5000. Want more gain? Put a pedal in front of it. Hate pedals? Throw a Hot Mod into it. There's just soooooo many more ways to get this tone in more affordable or authentic ways.

Slash is an amazing and respectable player that is also an amazing writer.

But for eight thousand fucking dollars I expect a slash dildo included for the fucking they’re giving to every normal player. Back when I was in high school I saved up $1400 for my 5150 and that was even hard to do. You want to know what a high schooler with $4k to burn is getting today? An AXFX III mkii Turbo.

Pricing these where they are is not helping the case of inspiring more musicians and instead smells like a plot to cash out to collectors and Slash himself looking for a paycheck.

I’d honestly just go grab a plethora of cheaper amps out there and sound just as good. It’s a modded 2203 platform - it’s not rocket science. The features aren’t even there…
I think Slash is overrated to begin with, and always looks like he needs a bath. Yeah, Appetite for Destruction was an iconic album, (never did anything for me, personally). I was wrapped up in Judas Priest, Dio, and Iron Maiden at that point in my teens. I thought most of the 80's cock rock was garbage, (still do). Dokken and Van Halen were really the only LA bands that did anything for me. When I heard Slayer, Testament, Exodus, Forbidden, Death Angel, and Metallica, it was game over.

I got a chance to play the new lineup of Magnatone amps (they are made here in St Louis) and they are great sounding amps and very high quality, but the sticker shock is real. $3600 for a 1x12 22 watt combo.
Yeah, I'm not hating on the Magnatone's tone. I'm sure this designer is great and I'm sure his amps are awesome. He wouldn't have attracted the players he has if they were total shit. However, that price point is just brutal. $5000 for a single channel Marshall clone? I mean, woof, you can get a BE-100 Deluxe, Headfirst Alta 100, Bogner XTC, for less and they have soooo many more tones. I know this new Slash signature amp is meant for collectors, not players, but the price point is really over the top especially in this market.

Yeah, I'm not hating on the Magnatone's tone. I'm sure this designer is great and I'm sure his amps are awesome. He wouldn't have attracted the players he has if they were total shit. However, that price point is just brutal. $5000 for a single channel Marshall clone? I mean, woof, you can get a BE-100 Deluxe, Headfirst Alta 100, Bogner XTC, for less and they have soooo many more tones. I know this new Slash signature amp is meant for collectors, not players, but the price point is really over the top especially in this market.
Or just buy a used 2555x and a pedal and have the circuit he actually uses live. lol

I think this is what's driving me nuts. There are a LOT of amps out there that are more affordable and will get you Slash's sound.

Best example off the top of my head: Bogner Helios 100. I mean, that will get you 99% of the way there if you combine it with a V30 cab and a Les Paul (provided you know how to use your volume and tone controls) and they can be had used for $2100ish in the current market. I mean, you can buy a REAL early 70's non-PCB Plexi for $5000. Want more gain? Put a pedal in front of it. Hate pedals? Throw a Hot Mod into it. There's just soooooo many more ways to get this tone in more affordable or authentic ways.
I think you can nail Slash's tone with a plain old DSL, in my experience.

Kind of surprised that Magnatone's website doesn't mention Obeid Khan as the designer. It was probably him that first got Richard Fortus onboard with Magnatone, and then Slash followed.

Back