New Torpedo Live owner

Frijj

I must admit, I was very cynical about the Torpedo Live when I heard about it but I took a gamble and ordered one anyway. I've been using it for 3 weeks and I think it's great!

However, the drag and drop feature in the Torpedo Remote software is a bit irritating and the EQ system could be a little better in my opinion. Also, decent 3rd party impulses tend to sound better and more realistic than the included ones to my ears but that doesn't mean they're rubbish because they're great too.

I'm still in a familiarization process so in a few weeks I may change my mind about them. I guess, I just need to learn how to use them more effectively and in time I'm sure I will.

If this unit came with a noise gate and a more tweakable EQ system it would be truly astounding (I prefer being able to dial in my own frequencies because I use Mesa Boogies)

But minor complaints aside, I'm quite astounded by this device and I can't imagine being without it at all. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Thank you Friji for this feedback.

We try to improve the product because I have no problem to admit they are not perfect. ;)

Take some time to browse all the embedded IRs, you may be surprises and find one you like. Moving the microphone rather than loading IRs may be a little strange at first, but most user wouldn't go back to switching between thousands of IRs. ;)

However, the drag and drop feature in the Torpedo Remote software is a bit irritating

What system would have your preference to load IRs/cabs/presets? We previously add a "select + click on a button to transfer" system that people asked me to get rid of... ^^We should keep both maybe.

OK for the EQ, as a sound engineer I can't work on distorted guitars without a multiband compressor, but after extensive tests we found that our user were not really aware of how a compressor or a full parametric EQ works. But you may take a look at the new Torpedo Blend-IR (yes I changed the name ^^) that you may like to finely tweak your IRs. ;)

Just goes to show how different we all are, for my own liking I think the eq perfect in that it's quite dramatic so it's easy to hear quickly how the frequencies are changed, plus that the "limited" options means I don't spend nearly as much time getting lost tweaking things endlessly. There are more than enough other features to spend hours messing around with in there :D

evilhomer":3mipiice said:
Just goes to show how different we all are,
Same here! I have a CAB and absolutely love it. The drag and drop is perfect. I can't think of an easier way to load things than that. The sound quality blows me away. Some of the IRs sound more like I'm sitting in the room with the amp than when I actually throw mics in front of it myself. And no background noise while trying to record tracks. Plus, having 4 more banks to load an additional 500 or so IRs and parametric EQ to balance different IRs really makes it unbelievably flexible. I was really hesitant at first to buy one but think the Two Notes stuff is a fantastic solution for having the convenience that modelling stuff would provide while still keeping the sound, feel, and dynamics of your own amp.

I don't know about 3rd party IR's being better. I've got the whole Redwirez setup but they aren't as good as what is on the Live. I was recently completing a project for a private contract and the Live profiles were a lot more authentic.

Back