New tubes for Roadster...partial fail

kannibul

New tubes arrived for my Roadster today - 6 TungSol 12AX7's and a quad of Ruby/Shuguang 6L6GMSTR's.

Swapped them all out and MAN what a difference. I has clarity and top end - and need to redial in my amp - lol...

Fail is because the OEM 6L6's tubes are clearly Mesa labeled Shuguang 6L6GCMSTR :(

(Stock preamp are JJ - ultra fail on Msa's behalf...)

Boogie has stopped using JJ's, they said they were not consistent enough, too many bad ones. All their tubes now come from Ruby.

scottcrud":160m78h8 said:
Boogie has stopped using JJ's, they said they were not consistent enough, too many bad ones. All their tubes now come from Ruby.

really.? cause i had a set of rubys in my 5150 and loved them.... hmmmmm may have to get a new set for my dual rec

There's a really good post in the "Tubes" section of the Boogie Board about Mesa Boogies tubes. But yes, they use Ruby tubes.

Cant you run 34's in that Roadster? I put a quad of SED EL-34's in a Dual Rec I had and it totally changed that amp for the better ;) I waited way too long to do it :rock:

I keep hearing that SED 6L6's are the best.. Too bad they are like $100.00 for a quad...

My Chinese Sino 6L6's seem ok for now.. I will probably get some SEDs later..

I don't know what all the hate for JJ's is for.. I had stock Ruby 6L6s in a Valveking and replaced them with JJ 6L6s and the JJ's were tonally better.. Perhaps your just referring to the JJ preamp tubes..

scottcrud":3f54vy1r said:

I can assure you that the 12AX7A's that is in my brand new Roadster (built on 3/2/2010 according to the date written on the chassis), are JJ's, with Mesa logo's on them.

Want me to post pics?

TheEternal":mglmom3c said:
I keep hearing that SED 6L6's are the best.. Too bad they are like $100.00 for a quad...

My Chinese Sino 6L6's seem ok for now.. I will probably get some SEDs later..

I don't know what all the hate for JJ's is for.. I had stock Ruby 6L6s in a Valveking and replaced them with JJ 6L6s and the JJ's were tonally better.. Perhaps your just referring to the JJ preamp tubes..

Yeah, just the preamp tubes for the most part - I don't like 'em - I'm really into TungSol's 12AX7's...

IMO, JJ power tubes aren't anything great either (at least their EL34/E34L). They work, but they just don't jive w/ me.

kannibul":2omz7t0w said:
scottcrud":2omz7t0w said:

I can assure you that the 12AX7A's that is in my brand new Roadster (built on 3/2/2010 according to the date written on the chassis), are JJ's, with Mesa logo's on them.

Want me to post pics?

I'm not doubting you, apparently Boogie was interested in using JJ's for everything but the rate of tube failure was not accecptable to them ( could have been the price too? But that's just speculation on my part...). Again, if you go over to the "Tube" section on the Boogie Board Forum there's a pretty lengthy topic about it.

scottcrud":3mkvws5r said:
kannibul":3mkvws5r said:
scottcrud":3mkvws5r said:

Want me to post pics?

I'm not doubting you, apparently Boogie was interested in using JJ's for everything but the rate of tube failure was not accecptable to them ( could have been the price too? But that's just speculation on my part...). Again, if you go over to the "Tube" section on the Boogie Board Forum there's a pretty lengthy topic about it.

The only thing I can think of is that Ruby is buying them from JJ, testing them, then sending them to Mesa to get their logo plastered on.

Back