New VH4 - questions

Tabs

Hi everyone,

After a year of fighting my Mesa Road King II trying to get the clean and lead sounds I hear in my head, I ordered a VH4 and a rear loaded 4X12 with V30's about a week and a half ago... It was a really hard decision between the VH4 and the Herbert because I really liked both, but I do use all 4 channels on the Mesa right now and wanted to retain that flexibility. That ultimately ruled out the Herbert. Delivery is supposed to be late October to early November.

Anyway, I have a couple questions:

1. Where do I look into getting those heavy duty flight cases for the head and cab? Do they even make such a thing for the cab? I really don't want this stuff getting scuffed up or the grille on the cab ripped etc... They'll be hauled in a trailer and (for local shows) in the back of a minivan.

2. With respect to the cab - I actually played the Herbert and VH4 through a front loaded 4X12 w/ the Diezel speakers. I hope I'm making the right choice with the RL V30 one. I like the sound of Mesa's cabs and I know those are V30 rear loaded, so that's what I'm basing the decision on. I'm playing through an old 5150 slant cab right now, and I'm sure anything is gonna be an improvement, but I just want to make sure my money's going to the best choice for what I do. My band is sorta melodic alternative rock - we're not metal by any stretch but we definitely have our heavy riff moments, we do solos etc. (clips at our site in my sig if you're interested)

3. I'm going to build a small rack - right now I'm running a PodXT Live into the RK's loop, which I know is not the greatest solution... hence

My current thought is to do something like this:

Furman Power Conditioner (not sure which - recommendations?)
TC Electronic G-Major
Voodoo Lab GCX looper with a couple of pedals (comp and phaser most likely)

I think I want the Axess FX-1 for the pedalboard. I could get the Ground Control Pro for a lot less, but it just seems like the FX-1 is the better long term investment and I love the PC/Mac editing capability it has.

This sound like a reasonable setup?

Appreciate any comments!

Thanks,
Ryan

Probably the best ATA flight cases in the business are these two.

http://www.calzonecase.com/

http://www.anvilcase.com/

They may not have a cases designed specifically for Diezel amps as the do with some of the more generally known amps like Marshall,Fender, Mesa Boogie, etc. You may have to provide them with the dimensions of the head as well as any other options that you want. They are both essentially the same company, so a good rule of thumb if you're in the US is to buy Anvil on the West coast, and Calzone on the east coast.

Another good rule of thumb is to completely ignore the flight cases that you see being sold in huge lots on eBay, as the design and workmanship on these most likely isn't built to ATA specifications.

Thanks, I sent in for a quote from Anvil...

Anyone have thoughts on the cab? What's the tangible difference between the NYC Birch cab and the regular rear-loaded?

Back