Next time you demo the VM

strungup

:|::QBB:
SgtThump":82940 said:
That sounded wrong... I'm not saying you can't change your mind (not liking the mid boost, then liking it.) I'm just curious how you were running the amp before with the mid boost off and what you changed when you turned it on to make it sound better.

I really want to like this amp. If I can consistently get good sound out of it I would pick one up. So I am interested in this answer as well.

That kind of rmeinds me of my Superbass. I keep the bass on 0 and dial in thickness with Vol II (when Im bridging channels of course).

Im going to try this at GC next time I go.

carlygtr56":168c6 said:

Plug in a Metal Zone and you're good to go. :LOL:

With the sound i dialed in today, it would just need humbuckers and a small boost for metal.

No, I mean with no Metal Zone. Also which speakers are you using.?

Bass control all the way off? Damn, that's nearly as bad as an amp that needs the presence turned almost all the way up!

:)

I thought the head sounded pretty good...but I only played with it for about 10 minutes. I like the idea of tuning the preamps gain with the 2 controls. The matching cab wasn't really sounding that good to me, I hooked it up to a greenback cab and liked the VM head a lot more....maybe those speakers in the VM cab need a good bit of breaking in.

carlygtr56":431b1 said:
Turn the Bass control off....use the Body as your main bass control, and dime the Detail.

Also, I figured out the mid-boost.

IMO, with the mid-boost off it's scooped as shit and thin...actually mid SCOOPED....push it in and leave it in for a more typical marshall mids.

Wait till I post clips of the VM.
I got it killing.
With a Strat it has enough gain and I got a TS to kick it over the top.

I'll try that next time I play one. I didn't have very good the other day at GC.

surprisingly i remembered this today..

tried the amp out and it did sound pretty sweet. I only dialed it in for like 3 minutes, and i liked how it sounded. It did get extremely muddy if you had the bass even on 3 with the body passed noon.

i wanted to try the other new model... which slips my mind cause im so tired, but i got lazy and didnt feel like playing it.

carlygtr56":e0436 said:
Turn the Bass control off....use the Body as your main bass control, and dime the Detail.

Also, I figured out the mid-boost.

IMO, with the mid-boost off it's scooped as shit and thin...actually mid SCOOPED....push it in and leave it in for a more typical marshall mids.

Wait till I post clips of the VM.
I got it killing.
With a Strat it has enough gain and I got a TS to kick it over the top.
Good info man. :thumbsup:
I will try this out today. Could not get rid of the flub last time I played but other than that the tones are great with a Gibson PAF pup guitar.

SgtThump":2de23 said:
I can't explain why, but I want one of these amps bad. I'd love to have an amp that gets the vintage Marshall tone, but has digital reverb and an effects loop. I just haven't had much luck with it yet. I'm seriously considering buying one to give it a go in a live setting.

This is the same reason I want this amp to work. Reverb and a loop would be ideal if I could get the vintage tones out of it. I will have to go back and try it out again. Maybe just picking one up at GC and spending time with it is a safe way to go for the 45 day return. I would have rather picked it from George though. :confused:

strungup":a627d said:

This is the same reason I want this amp to work. Reverb and a loop would be ideal if I could get the vintage tones out of it. I will have to go back and try it out again. Maybe just picking one up at GC and spending time with it is a safe way to go for the 45 day return. I would have rather picked it from George though. :confused:
I'm still waiting on the VM head but did get the VM cab in yesterday. We played the JVM thru it last nite. Pretty cool cab. Gotta hear my amp thru it though!

SgtThump":65ae3 said:

I'm very curious to hear what you think. I may be in the market for a slant cab and that's one I need to try out with my stuff.

I've got the VM cab here....looks like that piece of Marshall equipment is staying put ;) Sounds killer with the Aiken Intruder too. The color is actually growing on me.

Steve E

* velcro-fly *":04815 said:

I've got the VM cab here....looks like that piece of Marshall equipment is staying put ;) Sounds killer with the Aiken Intruder too. The color is actually growing on me.

Steve E
What is the wattage on that cab?

It sounded more like H30's than greenbacks in the little time that I played through it.

It is a cool color. :thumbsup:

I have a JVM but really wanted to like the VM as well. bought one, spent a week with it, and returned it for JVM number 2, just yesterday. I just couldn't get what I wanted out of it. Remined me of the year of pain the RoadKing unleashed upon me. JVM only cost me a few hundred more, and it is a lot more amp for that.

it really is such a cool looking amp, but I can't seem to dial out the buzzyness out of it. Is it just me but are the tone controls REALLLLLLLLY subtle? the body and detail are very sensative but it seems like the basic tone controls don't really do a whole lot to the sound of the amp.... I want to like the amp .... but!???

Back