NGD!!!!!!! 1976 Norlin Les Paul Custom 😎

glpg80

0BEC98C1-21C8-47FD-9121-B655117B8E81.jpeg

Been dreaming of owning a Norlin era all of my life, found this Cherry Sunburst, tossed a number their side and they accepted.

Why a cherry sunburst?

It’s a tribute to one of the badass LPCs that Zakk rotated live in the NRFTW 1989 tour. I also have been finding alpine white models are virtually impossible to obtain outside of collectors prices anymore.

Condition wise the build quality isn’t the best, the factory logo has a factory repair to the mother of pearl but validates the Norlin era of quality control. In terms of quality of care, its immaculate. It’s been in storage and mostly unplayed - it’s history is basically being owned back and forth between two brothers and the second brother didn’t really play much outside of bedroom playing. The back is immaculate and contains no flaws/scratches at all.

I will have a new bone nut cut for it and have it refretted at the same time with jumbo SS frets. Yes, I plan on 81x/85x pickups and will be selling the original case as-is to recoup some of the costs for an actual protective Gibson case. The original case is structurally unsafe and broken on one corner severely.

To all of the purists in the world, I give a huge middle finger. I buy guitars to play and not collect. I own 4 guitars total including this one, and it will get rotated regularly. Can’t wait to receive it tomorrow and run it as-is through my modded 74 Marshall and Bogner Ecstasy :rock:

Last edited:
I bet it sounds amazing through the Bogner . Have you ran it through both heads on at once? I’d love to see that clip !

That looks very close to my 73 lp custom, great playing guitar. Got Suhr thornbuckers in mine, but still have the stock t tops. It’s one mean sounding guitar. Congrats on your 76, bet you will love it and it’s probably a heavy 10 lb best. :)

Great News Matt! I know you have been looking for one for a while. Good luck with it and play it in good health.

That looks very close to my 73 lp custom, great playing guitar. Got Suhr thornbuckers in mine, but still have the stock t tops. It’s one mean sounding guitar. Congrats on your 76, bet you will love it and it’s probably a heavy 10 lb best. :)
Thanks man! I plan to save these pickups too - I’ll store them in a safe location well labeled.

She’s 10.7 lbs of pure badassery. I plan to run it against my other LPs and I’m not concerned about it not hanging with them.

Great News Matt! I know you have been looking for one for a while. Good luck with it and play it in good health.
Thanks dude!!! Yeah man I’ve been craving one for many, many years. Finally had the opportunity and sold that fender and my 2240 to help make it a reality. I’m excited :rock:

That awesome! Might have been able to save yourself some dough by not getting such an original specimen, but fuckit mod it to hell and back. Not like its a 50s-60s piece.
Thanks dude!

You’re likely not wrong - I sorted them online by price least to greatest to get rid of the collector models dudes open cases and jack off to but can’t play worth a damn.

It seems these days prices are dictated by three things: number of pieces to the maple top, year of manufacture, and quality of care. I still paid less than what a new LPC goes for today by far.

There was one that wasn’t as nice looking (natural tea burst) that was going for $5400 as a 78. I tossed $4700 his way and they countered at 5200. Just crazy money for nothing special. Even a non original alpine white for less than $5000 is almost unheard of. A Zakk Wylde LPC Gibson for less than $7000 is unheard of.

The number one thing I wanted the most was a neck that wasn’t dinged or scratched as you can feel them when playing. The rest was all non-important This one checks that box and in one of the colors I wanted :rock:

Once you get the nut squared away, refretted with quality humongous frets, and the pickups of your choice and she’ll play herself man. Nice score. Some of the greatest rock music ever made was made on Norlins. Sykes and Rhoads immediately come to mind.

Once you get the nut squared away, refretted with quality humongous frets, and the pickups of your choice and she’ll play herself man. Nice score. Some of the greatest rock music ever made was made on Norlins. Sykes and Rhoads immediately come to mind.
Man I’m so excited for tomorrow. Definitely will have a video once I get some time with it.

Yessir a quality refret and a solid nut is a must, I can’t put the gauge of strings I like on it without it. Every LP I own I’ve either had to widen the nuts myself or have it done professionally. I like to run 10-52 or 10-54 depending on what’s in stock.

a new nut, and SS frets is the best possible thing you can do to any gibson les paul IMO. I did it to 2 norlin eras that i sadly no longer own, but they couldn't be touched, playability wise.

Thanks man! I plan to save these pickups too - I’ll store them in a safe location well labeled.

She’s 10.7 lbs of pure badassery. I plan to run it against my other LPs and I’m not concerned about it not hanging with them.

10.7lbs is not too bad. A good size 3inch padded strap does wonders for mine which is 9.8lbs. I tried my friends 90s studio lite and while it’s a great guitar, just didn’t have the punch of my 73 norlin. Love how a les Paul hits you in the chest.

Last edited:
Back