NGD!! 1976 Norlin Les Paul Custom!!!

glpg80

3 piece maple neck goodness in dark wine red :rock:

Ive been wanting a wine red maple neck Norlin Les Paul for a very long time.

10.4 lbs, pancake body. 2 piece maple top, 2 piece mahogany body. 3 piece maple beck, ebony fretboard.

This one is all original. It will be getting the same treatment as my other Norlins with a Jescar SS refret, new bone nut, etc. I’ve got a killer local luthier that does amazing work.

I bought it from a collector and we don’t do collector bullshit in this house. She will be gone through to be brought back to life as a player.

No I didn’t get a good deal. These are going anywhere from 6-10k which is crazy.

Enjoy dudes! This is heirloom material for sure. I’m excited to have found a good one and snagged it.

E20F0C08-F09D-4B1E-AB2B-8BAD97811C41.jpeg
4330AC1C-7706-48CC-8A55-5966DBCBB80D.jpeg
E2E7A51E-D0F3-4B8C-8BE0-C6C75787890E.jpeg
49707A94-5260-41CD-B813-84049BF2F955.jpeg
0D5D0185-44D5-4DED-B298-CE59F2DE525B.jpeg

Insane! Congrats . What you running it through first ?
Thanks man!

First she’s going to my luthier to be gone through. Collectors let stuff rot and it can really hurt the guitar. Woods dry out, frets rise out of the fretboard, necks can warp or move from incorrect storage or no tension, etc.

After a clean bill of health there’s only one amp I really trust to run it through first: The Laney GH100S. I’d run it through my 74 but she’s blown to pieces currently getting upgrades.

Thanks man!

First she’s going to my luthier to be gone through. Collectors let stuff rot and it can really hurt the guitar. Woods dry out, frets rise out of the fretboard, necks can warp or move from incorrect storage or no tension, etc.

After a clean bill of health there’s only one amp I really trust to run it through first: The Laney GH100S. I’d run it through my 74 but she’s blown to pieces currently getting upgrades.
You will have to do a clip of that

Here’s my other 76 maple neck LPC through the Laney for comparison. Stock T top pickups.

Laney GH100S with an SD-1. The clip is cut short because not long after this I blew a preamp tube during the tube shortage.

Here’s my other 76 maple neck LPC through the Laney for comparison. Stock T top pickups.

Laney GH100S with an SD-1. The clip is cut short because not long after this I blew a preamp tube during the tube shortage.

That sounds great! I love Devils Daughter too !

hell yeah! you know the drill for sure about the bone nut and SS frets. thats the only way to go on old LP's. my 2 norlins with ss refrets are the most regretful of the countless guitars i've sold off in my life.

You're on a roll! I always liked the look of wine red Lesters.

Could you elaborate on the body? I got lost somewhere between 'pancake' and '2-pc'. Does that mean pancake body where you can see that the back piece is 2-pc? I guess Im clueless how you know what's inside the pancake. And are pancake bodies just a 2-stack plus the maple top? Or did they ever stack more than pieces than 2 (not including maple cap)?

You're on a roll! I always liked the look of wine red Lesters.

Could you elaborate on the body? I got lost somewhere between 'pancake' and '2-pc'. Does that mean pancake body where you can see that the back piece is 2-pc? I guess Im clueless how you know what's inside the pancake. And are pancake bodies just a 2-stack plus the maple top? Or did they ever stack more than pieces than 2 (not including maple cap)?
Thanks Matt!

Pancake is what you’re looking for that proves without a doubt Norlin era. They used a thin maple layer between the top maple and bottom mahogany. The piece construction is how the top and bottom slabs were glued.

Damn it looks new! I just got something similar last week, my biggest guitar purchase ever: JC Wino, I’ll have to post a NGD thread.

Sexy as fuck for sure....but did you really pay 6K for it!?! :oops:
Thanks man!!! Yessir - a little over actually!

It’s in excellent condition and the dark wine red Norlins are in more demand than the tomato red colors in the late 70’s into early 80’s because it’s basically a Cantrell signature guitar. There’s not many around that aren’t all beat to hell, and those are have a listing price in the $4.5k range. It was listed at close to $7.5k. A similar quality Norlin sold for $10k.

You can find Norlin maple neck LPCs but if you want a clean one they come at a premium!

Damn it looks new! I just got something similar last week, my biggest guitar purchase ever: JC Wino, I’ll have to post a NGD thread.
Sweet dude congrats!!! I can’t wait to see pictures of yours too! Yeah same here - biggest gear purchase of my life so far!

Back