NGD: 2016 Charvel San Dimas Mahogany Custom Shop

braintheory

Just got this thing yesterday and am very impressed so far. I somehow never owned any Charvel’s before. They never really appealed to me and always looked cheap and bland to me and typically use woods I don’t care for (like alder and ash bodies). I’ve played quite a few, mostly from the regular USA line, MIM San Dimas, US Select Dinky, but not much else. I briefly tried one of psychodave’s and from another member here (can’t remember who it was), but was much more focused on the amps I was trying at the time and wasn’t really think about the guitar (it was my first time trying a ccv back then as well as Dave’s Mark III++ Coliseum red stripe, which are just a lot more interesting to focus on lol). The ones I remember trying seemed, for the most part, like good guitars for the money, but nothing too noteworthy. I actually thought the Guthrie Govan one I tried was awful. This one I just got though is on a whole other level

I still think Charvel’s look bland and not great personally, but I gotta say the playability and frets on this are perhaps the best of the 28 guitars I own and over 30 others I’ve had in the past. The neck is thin (not too thin though) and wide, which seems to fit me perfectly since I’m primarily a classical guitar player

In terms of tone, the important part, it’s similarly impressive. Acoustically it’s quite loud and resonant and the mahogany warmth really comes through both acoustically and plugged in. I’m guessing the light oil finish let’s it breathe more and sound more open and resonant. It sounds great plugged in as well even with its stock Duncan’s and once I put in the Tone Specific pickups that are being made for my needs it’ll just get better. I wish though it had a middle single coil too so that I can get all those strat flavors in their

Some noteworthy guitar I’ve had in the past have been a Nik Huber Dolphin, Vik Duality 8 string, McNaught Orion, 2 Mayones Regius’s, Mayones Duvell, 3 Knaggs, Bernie Rico Jr Jekyll 727, Aristides, Skervesen Raptor, Suhr Modern Satin, Jackson SL2H, ‘68 Reissue Les Paul Custom Triburst, ‘81 and ‘82 Les Paul Custom, ‘78 RD Standard, 1980 Yamaha SG2000. I prefer this to all of those, but I admit if the Vik I had was a 6 string it would’ve been a different story

Currently, my favorite guitars have been my ‘90’s all quilt maple body ESP Custom Horizon, ‘69 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, ‘64 SG Jr, ‘57 Les Paul Jr, and 2 EGC’s (all aluminum). The Zerberus and ‘86 Schecter are also nice. This one is probably my favorite of the superstrat type guitars I’ve had and probably in my top 5, although those 3 older Gibson’s will probably always hog up that top 3. For the most part, I don’t get impressed anymore with non-vintage guitars, but this one has a lot of good things going for it. I’m now very curious to try an ‘80’s one, especially with a maple body

Glad it's rocking for ya, grats! Love the H/S config. :rock:

I agree with you on the looks and now I want to try one because I've been hearing great things about them. My brother in law loves em.

Congrats!

I'm like you, amps amps amps...then I'll worry about guitars. I usually have one fav and a backup from my gigging days; so I've never cared to own more than 3 or 4 tops. I'd keep thinking "well, this guitar is worth x amount and I could put that towards amp Z.."
But after buying my first Charvel back in 2010 or so I was hooked. Played USA Hamers and Ibanez RGs for yrs before that. They aren't the flashiest or prettiest but they have a playability that no other SS can match IMO. I also don't have to worry about keeping it mint since it's not some 5K piece of furniture that I'd be afraid to nick up at a gig. Lol. Nothing against the 5K guitars out there. But I want a guitar that I can dig into and not worry about.
I've had 3 custom shops but you can find 08-09 USAs that play as well or better...my 09 Plum SoCal is one. Got lucky with it and it's chased the Customs out the door. I have an 84 HSS USA pointy that I'll be sending to Lee at GMW for a restore at some point later this yr. They are great guitars..my 84 is one FAT sounding SS, it has the balls of an LP tone wise.

Racerxrated":y8b6nuun said:
Congrats!

I'm like you, amps amps amps...then I'll worry about guitars. I usually have one fav and a backup from my gigging days; so I've never cared to own more than 3 or 4 tops. I'd keep thinking "well, this guitar is worth x amount and I could put that towards amp Z.."
But after buying my first Charvel back in 2010 or so I was hooked. Played USA Hamers and Ibanez RGs for yrs before that. They aren't the flashiest or prettiest but they have a playability that no other SS can match IMO. I also don't have to worry about keeping it mint since it's not some 5K piece of furniture that I'd be afraid to nick up at a gig. Lol. Nothing against the 5K guitars out there. But I want a guitar that I can dig into and not worry about.
I've had 3 custom shops but you can find 08-09 USAs that play as well or better...my 09 Plum SoCal is one. Got lucky with it and it's chased the Customs out the door. I have an 84 HSS USA pointy that I'll be sending to Lee at GMW for a restore at some point later this yr. They are great guitars..my 84 is one FAT sounding SS, it has the balls of an LP tone wise.
What does it mean SS? Superstrat? If so, I agree their playability really is so on point. My ESP Custom Horizon (quilt maple body) and the Vik I had are also up there in playability. For playability with bluesy stuff, the early ‘60’s strats are still the best imo, but for almost anything else it’s this Charvel for me. I think it’s the radius and narrower neck of those strat that do it

I can believe that some USA Charvel’s can be as good or better for playability, but would be very surprised if the tone would be as good. I’m nowhere near as experienced as you with Charvel’s, but so far I wasn’t impressed with any USA or US select ones I tried. Not bad at all, just nothing amazing. I’d also think with a poly finish and alder or ash body it would surprise if the tone was there for me, but maybe I’m wrong. I gotta try more. Again, that Guthrie Govan one I thought was awful, but maybe was just a dud. What I really love about this one is that even when plugged in at loud volumes with lots distortion, I can hear all that mahogany in its tone, more so than probably any other mahogany guitar I own, even the vintage Gibson’s. I’m guessing this is likely from the thin oil finish, letting all that mahogany tone really come out

Yeah amps have always been my main priority, although I’ve actually been through even more boost pedals and pickups than amps. The only areas I really need to dig deeper in now are tubes, speakers and eventually maybe rack stuff for modulation

That ‘84 San Dimas sounds like it must be pretty awesome! What’s the weight and body wood of it? Mine is 8.5lbs. I’m also jealous that yours is the full HSS vs HS on mine. That’s the one thing missing. If I keep this one years down the road, maybe I’ll have someone mod it to have a middle single coil as well. There was another same model as mine I was debating over because it had a lower asking price, but was worried that at 7.25 lbs it would sound too airy/wimpy for my taste. I think I made the right choice

Luckily the only 5k plus guitars I have are the ‘69 LP Custom and ‘57 LP Jr, which already have there share of dings. I actually had a Barlow guitar that I returned after 1 day that would’ve been 5k+ brand new. Literally, everything but the tone was impeccable, the fretwork, attention to detail, aesthetics, neck, etc. Everything that I’d expect from such a guitar, but then I play a chord unplugged and it’s awful. Sounded like furniture with strings attached to it. Plugged it in and same sound but distorted and amplified. No tonal complexity or warmth whatsoever on that guitar

ErikT":2k1ip465 said:
Glad it's rocking for ya, grats! Love the H/S config. :rock:

I agree with you on the looks and now I want to try one because I've been hearing great things about them. My brother in law loves em.
Thanks! Yeah if they were more eye catching, maybe I would’ve given them more of a chance earlier. I kinda like though now that it looks simple, but plays and sounds better than the very fancy looking boutique guitars I’ve tried

The Humbucker and neck single coil together actually can be a cool combo, but just wish I had a middle single to get that iconic strat tone with the neck and middle together with the added tonal complexity of mahogany vs alder or ash

Looks like you also have a MTL and nice ESP, so they may be up your alley

braintheory":4lzeofg3 said:
Racerxrated":4lzeofg3 said:
Congrats!

What does it mean SS? Superstrat? If so, I agree their playability really is so on point. My ESP Custom Horizon (quilt maple body) and the Vik I had are also up there in playability. For playability with bluesy stuff, the early ‘60’s strats are still the best imo, but for almost anything else it’s this Charvel for me. I think it’s the radius and narrower neck of those strat that do it

I can believe that some USA Charvel’s can be as good or better for playability, but would be very surprised if the tone would be as good. I’m nowhere near as experienced as you with Charvel’s, but so far I wasn’t impressed with any USA or US select ones I tried. Not bad at all, just nothing amazing. I’d also think with a poly finish and alder or ash body it would surprise if the tone was there for me, but maybe I’m wrong. I gotta try more. Again, that Guthrie Govan one I thought was awful, but maybe was just a dud. What I really love about this one is that even when plugged in at loud volumes with lots distortion, I can hear all that mahogany in its tone, more so than probably any other mahogany guitar I own, even the vintage Gibson’s. I’m guessing this is likely from the thin oil finish, letting all that mahogany tone really come out

Yeah amps have always been my main priority, although I’ve actually been through even more boost pedals and pickups than amps. The only areas I really need to dig deeper in now are tubes, speakers and eventually maybe rack stuff for modulation

That ‘84 San Dimas sounds like it must be pretty awesome! What’s the weight and body wood of it? Mine is 8.5lbs. I’m also jealous that yours is the full HSS vs HS on mine. That’s the one thing missing. If I keep this one years down the road, maybe I’ll have someone mod it to have a middle single coil as well. There was another same model as mine I was debating over because it had a lower asking price, but was worried that at 7.25 lbs it would sound too airy/wimpy for my taste. I think I made the right choice

Luckily the only 5k plus guitars I have are the ‘69 LP Custom and ‘57 LP Jr, which already have there share of dings. I actually had a Barlow guitar that I returned after 1 day that would’ve been 5k+ brand new. Literally, everything but the tone was impeccable, the fretwork, attention to detail, aesthetics, neck, etc. Everything that I’d expect from such a guitar, but then I play a chord unplugged and it’s awful. Sounded like furniture with strings attached to it. Plugged it in and same sound but distorted and amplified. No tonal complexity or warmth whatsoever on that guitar

Yep SS=Superstrat. I do agree the tone is better with the Custom shops compared to the 08-09 USAs, but some of them are very fat and rich sounding and on par with the Customs. Mine is one...not better than the 3 CS I had but easily hangs with them, but the playability/feel puts it above all others. I had 2 other 08-09s that were great like this and foolishly sold them, looking for something else...but luckily I found this 09 and I was back home again.
My 84 weighs in at 10.5 lbs! It's a 'knot in your shoulder' guitar if I play it too long lol...not sure what wood it is offhand. But it does 'out tone' my 09 by a small margin. I will say that most people I've talked to aren't impressed with the newer Select series. The 08-09 USAs are all good to great, I've had 12 or so. Not played a bad one; some were stiff playing but very few. All have been good sounding, resonant. I did hear that some of the 08-09s were made by custom shop builders at times. But that was a rumor so who knows.
That's a shame about the Barlow; anything that costs that much should sound phenomenal. Ugh.

Racerxrated":105s92yt said:
braintheory":105s92yt said:
Racerxrated":105s92yt said:
Congrats!

Yep SS=Superstrat. I do agree the tone is better with the Custom shops compared to the 08-09 USAs, but some of them are very fat and rich sounding and on par with the Customs. Mine is one...not better than the 3 CS I had but easily hangs with them, but the playability/feel puts it above all others. I had 2 other 08-09s that were great like this and foolishly sold them, looking for something else...but luckily I found this 09 and I was back home again.
My 84 weighs in at 10.5 lbs! It's a 'knot in your shoulder' guitar if I play it too long lol...not sure what wood it is offhand. But it does 'out tone' my 09 by a small margin. I will say that most people I've talked to aren't impressed with the newer Select series. The 08-09 USAs are all good to great, I've had 12 or so. Not played a bad one; some were stiff playing but very few. All have been good sounding, resonant. I did hear that some of the 08-09s were made by custom shop builders at times. But that was a rumor so who knows.
That's a shame about the Barlow; anything that costs that much should sound phenomenal. Ugh.
At 10.5 lbs my guess would be maple body, especially if it sounds bright and upper middy unplugged. I like maple body guitars and have had a bunch (like my ESP). They tend to sound bright, clear, but still round, pleasing high notes, not harsh, actually smoother highs than say Ash body usually. At that weight I can see why it would sound ballsy like a Les Paul Custom

It sounds like a lot of ‘80’s guitars were really heavy. I had an ‘81 and ‘82 LP Custom that were both between 11 and 12 lbs and have an ‘86 Schecter Superstrat (Paduak body) that I think is over 12 lbs iirc (need to double check). That thing is for sure the densest and tightest sounding guitar I’ve ever tried. No warmth, prettiness, tonal complexity, nuance, etc, but huge muscular sound

I actually have still a very early Barlow Falcon before he became known that I got for only $1600 and it sounds quite good (1000x better than that other one) and in all those other areas maybe 80-90% as good. I’ve thought about selling it, but still held on to it. It looks nice, but nothing compared to what he does now. When I got it (bought 2nd hand) he actually reached out to me and assured me that his later work is so much better and to not judge his work based on this one before he knew much lol. I do appreciate that he cares though. He even offered to have me trade him the old one I’ve kept plus cash difference for a new one at a discount

The only 5k+ guitars (maybe even 4k+) that really sounded phenomenal to me were basically just the vintage stuff (fenders, Gibson, some of which are A LOT more than 5k lol), but those can still be disappointing here and there. The 3 vintage Gibson’s I have are all still within my budget (they’re all quite underrated imo) and as good or better than any others I’ve tried so far

I love those mahogany Charvels.

For a very long time I was not into the San Dimas look. I thought they were very boring. I don't know what happened but something changed and I finally built one last year out of Pro-Mod parts and some custom pieces.

I think I still prefer the So-Cal style with the pickguard, but I really dig the contrast of Les Paul accoutrements on a Strat shape.

I love my 2009 USA plum so-cal. I have three 1980's MIJ Charvels and they are pretty awesome too (and in my case all under $300) . They have a unique vibe to them. Each a little different.

I must say that I was disappointed with both of the GG USA Charvels that I played for a stupid high price.

swamptrashstompboxes":3roc4004 said:
I love my 2009 USA plum so-cal. I have three 1980's MIJ Charvels and they are pretty awesome too (and in my case all under $300) . They have a unique vibe to them. Each a little different.

I must say that I was disappointed with both of the GG USA Charvels that I played for a stupid high price.
Seems to be a consistent thing with guys liking the 2008-2009’s. I think the ones I’ve tried have been more recent ones. Never tried any MIJ ones

I still have yet to try a humbucker equipped guitar with alder, ash or poly finish that sounded great to me, but am open to checking out more. Maybe Charvel’s could be an exception somehow

Yeah the GG model I tried was kinda an outlier. I thought the other Charvel’s I tried were all decent to pretty good and at least somewhat similar in feel to what I just got, but the GG felt and sounded almost like a Suhr to me. Super sterile and stiff. Didn’t breath at all or have much resonance. I hope Guthrie’s actual Charvel’s aren’t like that. He’s a monster player

GG Charvel has to be dud.
Buddy of mine have Suhr GG Antique and it is most resonant guitar I have ever played. Even my modern satin is more resonant than any other guitar I have owned. But on the other hand I have played Suhr's that would be described as stiff and sterile.
I also think that Guthrie is very picky about his guitars and You can hear how resonant and ringing they are even in his live sound.
Anyway congrats on amazing guitar.

bubucci":2mlf7wup said:
Buddy of mine have Suhr GG Antique and it is most resonant guitar I have ever played. Even my modern satin is more resonant than any other guitar I have owned. But on the other hand I have played Suhr's that would be described as stiff and sterile.
I also think that Guthrie is very picky about his guitars and You can hear how resonant and ringing they are even in his live sound.
I’ve not tried a Suhr GG, but maybe the Charvel GG is different. Seems other guys also weren’t crazy about the Charvel GG, but I agree that someone like Guthrie would very unlikely play a guitar that sounded like that

I used to have a Suhr Modern Satin as well in red. I do remember liking it more than other Suhr’s I’ve tried and being more resonant than them, but I wouldn’t say the most resonant guitar I’ve played. Honestly, a lot of the very fancy expensive looking Suhr’s were among the ones I especially remember being sterile and stiff

braintheory":5y854mut said:
bubucci":5y854mut said:
I’ve not tried a Suhr GG, but maybe the Charvel GG is different. Seems other guys also weren’t crazy about the Charvel GG, but I agree that someone like Guthrie would very unlikely play a guitar that sounded like that

I used to have a Suhr Modern Satin as well in red. I do remember liking it more than other Suhr’s I’ve tried and being more resonant than them, but I wouldn’t say the most resonant guitar I’ve played. Honestly, a lot of the very fancy expensive looking Suhr’s were among the ones I especially remember being sterile and stiff
I love my Charvel too. I've had 11 Suhrs, and they were all high end. I agree they were a little clinical but not all of them. I have had much better luck with Tom Andersons, especially the Angels.

The GG's I played were the Charvels. Two of them. Both disappointing, different times at different shops. TBH I have never played a Suhr.

You actually list a reason why I love Charvel guitars. They are simple in design. I like them even more plain with a solid color. No bells or whistles,etc.
1619049685629.jpeg

1619049752408.jpeg

1619049948746.jpeg

Congrats on the new axe. I love Charvel and after switching to them, I don’t play much else. They just fit. I thank Racerxrated for almost all but of mine. The man knows his stuff

Back