NGD: Charvel Super Stock SC-1

LPMojoGL

aNYEtQE.jpg

JXh3obi.jpg

Grabbed this yesterday. Thanks for the heads up, Rdodson!
Traded my Satchel in towards this.
It sounds more open and lively, like my American Pro Strat.
Not as closed off.
Less string tension, easier to play. Love it.
2 things I don’t like:
-the neck pup outer pole pieces go quite a bit outside the strings, noticably affecting the volume of those strings.
-Working the Floyd knocks the strings out of tune. I haven’t had a chance to stretcch strings and tighten things. I’m probably going to block the Floyd to dive only and slap a Dtuna on it.

That are awesome looking.

Sadly, I got one last week and already returned it. Frets weren’t polished, the neck wasn’t snug in the neck joint, the had to whim under the neck as well as the nut. For $1,350 I expected more.

psychodave":h16a19sf said:
That are awesome looking.

Sadly, I got one last week and already returned it. Frets weren’t polished, the neck wasn’t snug in the neck joint, the had to whim under the neck as well as the nut. For $1,350 I expected more.

That sucks! Did you order online?
This store had two, this one hanging and one in the box.
This one was definitely in better shape than the one in the box.
I found the quality and setup varies a lot when I was shopping Satchel models, and other Charvel/Jackson and Fenders the past couple of years. I won’t buy a guitar without trying it out first.

Had a close look at these when announced
Whilst the config and look tick all the boxes, the hardware gives the impression it’s a cheap Fender with a Charvel logo
I often wonder if that was a fair call
This thread seems to answer that question, unfortunately
Sorry you boys have had bad experiences

Got to mess with it for an hour last night.
The neck is super fast. Love it.
Retuned, and tightened things up and it’s staying in tune much better now.
Still thinking the neck pup should be slanted, or a rail pup. Adjusted the outer pole pieces for now. That took care of the baby e volume
Difference.
The neck pocket in this one is perfect, same with the nut.
I think with a little more love and setup it will be a killer guitar!

The Satchel I had was set up for dive only.
I had a lot of fun pulling on the whammy bar last night. :)
Anyone use something like a Black Box or Tremol No with a Dtuna?

@OP Congratulations on the purchase of your Charvel Super Stock SC-1! The newer Charvels are like hot rodded Fender Strats with parts that would be upgraded back in the day. The relic finish, proginal Floyd Rose tremolo bridge, H/S pickups, volume, and 3 way switch is cool! I'd swap out the pickguard and make it H/S/H pickup configuration with a single volume & tone and 5 way switch, if it was mine. I'm happy to hear that you were able to get the guitar set up more to your liking and fixing all the little issues.

I think guitars need to be tweaked before being put on the showroom floor. It leaves a bad impression to the customer if the instrument has a less than optimum set up and a lost sale, IMHO.

Hamer95USA":msdr90ln said:
@OP Congratulations on the purchase of your Charvel Super Stock SC-1! The newer Charvels are like hot rodded Fender Strats with parts that would be upgraded back in the day. The relic finish, proginal Floyd Rose tremolo bridge, H/S pickups, volume, and 3 way switch is cool! I'd swap out the pickguard and make it H/S/H pickup configuration with a single volume & tone and 5 way switch, if it was mine. I'm happy to hear that you were able to get the guitar set up more to your liking and fixing all the little issues.

I think guitars need to be tweaked before being put on the showroom floor. It leaves a bad impression to the customer if the instrument has a less than optimum set up and a lost sale, IMHO.

Thanks! This is what I was going for when I got the Fender American Pro HSS.
It didn’t quite do it, so I grabbed the Satchel when it came up. It was closer to the mark, but didn’t have the Strat openess and overall tone. This SC-1 puts it together. I was hoping I’d run across a Nash S-81 some day. This hits the spot.
I cant wait to spend more time with it, get it setup just right. Won’t be surprised if I end up doing some of the mods you mentioned. Agreed on the setup before sell. Seems like a necessity. Also, these companies could stand better QC all the way around.

Nice! I've got a Super Stock Model 2 on pre-order, hopefully shipping later this month. Any chance you can compare the neck to an older Pro Mod? I have a newer MIM one (burgundy mist San Dimas) and two older ones, MIA and MIJ. The older ones have quartersawn necks vs. the newer ones having flatsawn necks. The newer style is a hair thicker or wider, definitely noticeable when A/B'd. Not bad, mind you, just a tad different. It feels just about the same as the USA Adrian Smith, which has a quartersawn neck and is more recent than the two old Pro Mods. I'm wondering if all of the newer ones will have that extra girthy profile.

I'm interested to hear what route it has beneath the pickguard. I thought I would redo the Adrian Smith as H H, but it is routed specifically for HSS.

jet66":7k64omnw said:
Nice! I've got a Super Stock Model 2 on pre-order, hopefully shipping later this month. Any chance you can compare the neck to an older Pro Mod? I have a newer MIM one (burgundy mist San Dimas) and two older ones, MIA and MIJ. The older ones have quartersawn necks vs. the newer ones having flatsawn necks. The newer style is a hair thicker or wider, definitely noticeable when A/B'd. Not bad, mind you, just a tad different. It feels just about the same as the USA Adrian Smith, which has a quartersawn neck and is more recent than the two old Pro Mods. I'm wondering if all of the newer ones will have that extra girthy profile.

I'm interested to hear what route it has beneath the pickguard. I thought I would redo the Adrian Smith as H H, but it is routed specifically for HSS.

Cool! The model 2 looks great. Hope you dig it.
I haven’t played any older pro mods. Compared to the Satchel, the SC-1 neck is thinner, less girthy, which makes it feel kinda wider in the hand. It doesn’t feel as flat/wide as the RG2550e I used to have. Not as small as the Charvette neck on my first electric.
I usually like more chunk to the neck, but this is comfy, easy to play.
Hope that helps.

Forgot to mention, the fretboard feels great. I like maple or ebony, wasn’t sure about pau ferro. It’s really nice.

LPMojoGL":19g5pdhg said:
I haven’t played any older pro mods. Compared to the Satchel, the SC-1 neck is thinner, less girthy, which makes it feel kinda wider in the hand. It doesn’t feel as flat/wide as the RG2550e I used to have. Not as small as the Charvette neck on my first electric.
Hope that helps.

Forgot to mention, the fretboard feels great. I like maple or ebony, wasn’t sure about pau ferro. It’s really nice.

That sounds nice, you've kind of got we wanting one now... I might have to do like I did with the burgundy San Dimas: Wait to see one pop up used at a fair price. I'm also kind of lusting for a bloody skull or snakeskin DeMartini Pro Mod. I don't know why I keep telling myself I'm done buying guitars, I never listen.

jet66":19uw4qb6 said:
LPMojoGL":19uw4qb6 said:
Hope that helps.

That sounds nice, you've kind of got we wanting one now... I might have to do like I did with the burgundy San Dimas: Wait to see one pop up used at a fair price. I'm also kind of lusting for a bloody skull or snakeskin DeMartini Pro Mod. I don't know why I keep telling myself I'm done buying guitars, I never listen.

Totally understand that. I’m the same way with amps. And now I’m shopping a modeler of some sort to keep at my gf's house. Never ending GAS. For now, just got a cheap Plexi pedal to use with a Vox Pathfinder.

I wanted a snakeskin DeMartini, til I played a few. Preferred the Satchel. The Satchel I ended up with was used, improved parts on the Floyd and setup well. Vastly improved over an off-the-wall model. I miss it, tbh. Lots of fun with that axe. But! The SC1 sounded and played better, and I know it will be even better with some work and mods.
I’m actually diggin the Wolgang pup.
Wondering what the specs are on it. I will go WCR or Motor City vs buying a new EVH when I eventually upgrade my Strat, but I’m not feeling the need to swap it out of the Charvel. Yet.

If you want compact and reasonably priced, check out the Atomic Amplifire 6 or 12. Leon Todd has several YouTube videos on the 6 that are really good, pretty much sold me on them. A 6 and Headrush FRFR108 keeps you around the $700 mark and is quite compact. I was in a band for a short time where one trip up the narrow steep stairs with a 5153 50 and 212 put me in the market. I still kind of want a Kemper, but I’m pretty happy with the Atomic stuff. I play it more than the 5153’s lately.

jet66":2py550i8 said:
If you want compact and reasonably priced, check out the Atomic Amplifire 6 or 12. Leon Todd has several YouTube videos on the 6 that are really good, pretty much sold me on them. A 6 and Headrush FRFR108 keeps you around the $700 mark and is quite compact. I was in a band for a short time where one trip up the narrow steep stairs with a 5153 50 and 212 put me in the market. I still kind of want a Kemper, but I’m pretty happy with the Atomic stuff. I play it more than the 5153’s lately.

That was kind of on the radar cause Satchel, been more enthused to check it out now. Thanks!

Necro-bump...

I got the one that was on Reverb yesterday. The guy made a few YouTube vids that kinda sold me on it, and did some nice upgrades as well - Duncan 78, German Floyd that is decked, Hipshot locking tuners, and upgraded to an EVH pot. Looking forward to getting it. I’ve re-fallen in love with Charvel/Jackson after a couple years away from them.

Chris O":48imy58h said:
Necro-bump...

I got the one that was on Reverb yesterday. The guy made a few YouTube vids that kinda sold me on it, and did some nice upgrades as well - Duncan 78, German Floyd that is decked, Hipshot locking tuners, and upgraded to an EVH pot. Looking forward to getting it. I’ve re-fallen in love with Charvel/Jackson after a couple years away from them.

I knew that one would be gone quick. I clicked "watch" on it yesterday afternoon. Great snag and let us know you like it.

Paid too much, and probably should have just gotten a Chubtone, but hindsight being 20:20 and all that... He had a fair amount of money into the upgrades though, so I don’t feel quite as bad

I sold one that was good... along with two additional pic guards for more options. It took a while to sell for $950.

psychodave":14i4we8t said:
I sold one that was good... along with two additional pic guards for more options. It took a while to sell for $950.

I vaguely remember that? Dammit... Who knew, huh?

I am at the point where I am beyond over buying new guitars. I would rather buy used in good shape and I can crown/polish the frets (I have no problem leveling but I don't buy with that much wear in general unless price reflects), and go through it and replace a few things and get better results than the factory and be happy paying less. I don't bother with cheap Floyds. Not worth the hassle.

Since doing that (and having ability posess that skill set) have been disappointed once in the last 20+ guitars. As opposed to buying new and being under 50/50.

Back