NGD: Epiphone Prophecy SG!!

Metalhex

I wanted an SG so badly, so I got one that's geared towards metal. It is a beautiful guitar. The only minor thing I notice is a couple of dead fret spots mainly on the B string. Does that mean it needs a truss rod adjustment or perhaps the nut slot is too low? All the other strings and frets are fine. They don't ring or buzz. I did already set it up in drop B tuning with 011 to 054 strings. I do not recall if the same dead spots were there before I changed the strings. Why is it just the B string? Will a neck adjustment fix it but then possibly throw other strings out of whack? Should I send it back or is this a non issue?

There is some neck dive as expected with an SG but it's not terrible. The Fishman modern pickups have plenty of heat on tap.

This has an "aged gloss" finish, which is better than a matte/satin finish, but I'd prefer a high gloss shine. Oh well. Not a deal breaker.

For $900, an Epiphone guitar should come with SOME kind of case, however. But nope.

If I keep it, I will post some clips.

Attachments

• 20220322_125547.jpg
    20220322_125547.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 75
  • 20220322_125059.jpg
    20220322_125059.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 62
  • 20220322_125051.jpg
    20220322_125051.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 20220322_125042.jpg
    20220322_125042.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 20220322_125038.jpg
    20220322_125038.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20220322_125028.jpg
    20220322_125028.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20220322_125024.jpg
    20220322_125024.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 75
It could be a simple truss rod adjustment, or the slot could be cut a little low on the B string. Adjusting a truss rod is simple, check out some YouTube videos if you haven’t done it before. Congrats, it’s a very cool looking guitar.

Congrats. Beautiful SG there. I've become a big SG fan especially 24 fret SGs, but it is a crapshoot whether you get one that is balanced well versus one with neck dive. Hopefully it's not too bad. The fretboard especially looks great. Ebony I assume?

Congrats. Beautiful SG there. I've become a big SG fan especially 24 fret SGs, but it is a crapshoot whether you get one that is balanced well versus one with neck dive. Hopefully it's not too bad. The fretboard especially looks great. Ebony I assume?
Yes it is ebony. It's very pretty

Love the color.
What frets are the dead spots on? and I'm assuming you're talking about the low B string?
Sorry for the late response. I meant the B string in standard tuning, so the second smallest string. The 6th fret and 15th fret, fret out. Also I got to play on it a little bit more on it last night (finally), and there was at least one note that I can remember on the high e string that frets out when I bend it up a whole step. It was up around the 15th fret area.

Is this all fixed by a truss rod adjustment or should I send it back? I haven't had too much time to play with it yet.

And yes the color looks really nice in person, thanks!

Sounds more like a fret leveling issue to me :(

yeah ive had a couple guitars with random dead frets that a level fixed, i didnt think that was too big a problem to fix, my setup guy didnt hit me too hard if it was. maybe hes just good but ive had a couple guitars new and used come in that i thought were hopeless messes that he turned into fantastic players, i feel like i cant really judge a guitar now until i give it to him to do his thing.

Interesting! I could see needing to do that for a used guitar, but not for $900 brand new. If that's the case, I'll be sending it back.

Is it labor intensive/alot of room for error? For a relatively easy and quick fix I would consider it
Yup, like others said, probably a high spot. Fret leveling isn't overly labor intensive but can be tedious. It's also easy to mess up if you just go at it with no experience. But once you get the hang of it it's straight forward and goes quick enough.
I've never used that tool before so I can't really comment on how well it would work of how easy it would be. Knowing how to level frets is a good skill to have. If you want to learn watch a few videos on how to do it and practice on some cheapie necks.

You can always check what the manufacturer warranty covers, it may cover the touch up fret work.

Yup, like others said, probably a high spot. Fret leveling isn't overly labor intensive but can be tedious. It's also easy to mess up if you just go at it with no experience. But once you get the hang of it it's straight forward and goes quick enough.
I've never used that tool before so I can't really comment on how well it would work of how easy it would be. Knowing how to level frets is a good skill to have. If you want to learn watch a few videos on how to do it and practice on some cheapie necks.

You can always check what the manufacturer warranty covers, it may cover the touch up fret work.
Thanks I'll look into that

Yeah, most Epiphones usually have fret leveling tiny issues. Sometimes not so tiny. Nothing that a good tech can't fix. I say take it. It looks like a killer guitar!

Mostly on the B string/second string on multiple frets

First couple frets, or higher up?

Typically buzz closer to the nut/first few frets, the neck might be too straight and needs a bit of relief. Higher up, typically around the 12th and up tends to be too much.

At any rate, if you haven't messed with the truss rod, you probably should. Necks shift from climate changes in transit, and you put the heavier strings on with low tuning probably plays a role. Sight down the neck and see what it's looking like..

First couple frets, or higher up?

Typically buzz closer to the nut/first few frets, the neck might be too straight and needs a bit of relief. Higher up, typically around the 12th and up tends to be too much.

At any rate, if you haven't messed with the truss rod, you probably should. Necks shift from climate changes in transit, and you put the heavier strings on with low tuning probably plays a role. Sight down the neck and see what it's looking like..
There's one on the 6th fret and then higher up past the 12th

Aesthetics look amazing

Epiphone has upped their quality over the years, apparently, from what everyone says

But im old enough to have played the bad old stuff, so im skeptical

That guitar has such a cool feature set and color though, I would take it to a professional luthier for a setup if its got bad frets

get that thing set up, and its a low risk gigging guitar that looks FANTASTIC

Back