NGD: EVH Frankie

If I'm being honest. The stock pickup sounds great. And I didn't intend on keeping the pickup in regardless
Yeah, I wasn't referring to your situation I'm talking in general . Kind of like buying a relatively expensive guitar and the case costs extra .

Yeah, I wasn't referring to your situation I'm talking in general . Kind of like buying a relatively expensive guitar and the case costs extra .
Hell, the last few new MIM Charvels I bought new didn't even have the allen wrenches for the Floyd.

• Haha
Reactions: ccn
I have grabbed a few Stripe series guitars off the rack at the local GC and I have always been impressed with them. I would prefer even basic Alder to Basswood, but I do think the heavy glossy paint on the original stripe series does help to tighten up the tone a bit. I also agree completely that a hotter wind / ceramic mag in a softer wood guitar can help bring the sound and feel of a lower output Alnico pickup in a denser, heavier, brighter guitar. When I built my spare parts caster using the Black / White EVH body, I got a Jalen Frank for it and swapped in a ceramic magnet and I absolutely love the way that guitar sounds. This game really is the sum of the parts, as opposed to any single component.

When I built my Frankenstrat, I added a black Tesi kill switch in the pickguard. It's almost invisible, but it works perfectly for the end of the You Really Got Me guitar solo.

Reactions: PDC
I have grabbed a few Stripe series guitars off the rack at the local GC and I have always been impressed with them. I would prefer even basic Alder to Basswood, but I do think the heavy glossy paint on the original stripe series does help to tighten up the tone a bit. I also agree completely that a hotter wind / ceramic mag in a softer wood guitar can help bring the sound and feel of a lower output Alnico pickup in a denser, heavier, brighter guitar. When I built my spare parts caster using the Black / White EVH body, I got a Jalen Frank for it and swapped in a ceramic magnet and I absolutely love the way that guitar sounds. This game really is the sum of the parts, as opposed to any single component.
How different do you think the Wolfgang pickup sounds in an Alder Body vs the basswood body Frankie?

Reactions: PDC
How different do you think the Wolfgang pickup sounds in an Alder Body vs the basswood body Frankie?
Not sure - I’ve on,y had one Wolfgang over the years and it only lived in my Bee EVH body. That was another parts build, and I sourced a cream WG out of a ‘circles’ guitar to sort of mimic the ‘look’ of the cream DiMarzio that Ed had in the Bee guitar. It sounded fine in that guitar - but I never tried the WG in any other guitars. FWIW, I did not like the A8 mag ‘Bee’ pickup in the EVH Bee build. A little too bright / Brittle sounding? Right now, that guitar has a Jalen Frank (Pinnacle) with Bee cosmetics - clear bobbins and hex poles.

Attachments

• 64453718123__01E49532-8F77-4469-B4FD-ABE6435DA8A6.jpeg
    64453718123__01E49532-8F77-4469-B4FD-ABE6435DA8A6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
While I haven't tested that exact pickup, I can say with similar spec pickups, the alder with have less low end and feel a little tighter in the lows as well as have more mids.

While I haven't tested that exact pickup, I can say with similar spec pickups, the alder with have less low end and feel a little tighter in the lows as well as have more mids.

I find basswood a little flabby with more bass -- so you're saying the same thing.

Although Jeff Beck makes a bassword strat sound amazing

How is the single coil neck pickup mounted... just screwed to the bottom of the pocket with no height adjustment? I'm asking because I want to mount a single coil in the neck position of my LP which has a P90 sized slot. It seems like just screwing it to the bottom of the pocket would make it way too low beneath the strings. I've found some adapter mounting plates but they're not specific to P90 soap bars and don't look that great.

Attachments

• 20220315_182928.jpg
    20220315_182928.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Back