NGD: H&K Access and VS-250

technomancer

In a blast from the past I picked up the classic (and rare) Hughes and Kettner rack rig of yester-year, the Access preamp and matching VS-250 power amp.

The Access is a very rare preamp, and I was happy to be able to pick one up in good condition. The Access came with two different sound modules, A and B. The one I picked up has version 2.01 of the more desirable B sound module.

The Access has 3 channels: Clean, Tube 1 ("Crunch"), and Tube 2 ("Lead"). The Clean channel is clear and chimey and simply will not break up, period. Tube 1 can go from a nice rich clean up to JCM800 gain levels, and does fantastic in-between just breaking up tones. Tube 2 is just thick, mean, rip your face off gain. Add to that one of the coolest interfaces ever and three programmable effects loops. I love this thing. I even got a nice jazzy clean dialed in on Tube 1.

The VS-250 is a pretty unique power amp, and is even rarer than the Access it was made to pair with. It's 2 50 watt channels, driven by 4 EL84s each. Each channel has 2 presence modes and each channel can run in Pentode or Triode mode. Triode mode drops the power to 25w per channel.

Now on to the pics (I even took a gut shot of the Access for those that are in to that stuff :LOL:)

Front photos, I'll get these racked up as soon as I grab some kind of effects processor
IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

Access top
IMG_2713.jpg

VS-250 top
IMG_2714.jpg

Access Gut Shot
IMG_2715.jpg

Shark Diver":13jyaqdm said:
That is bad ass. I have always wanted that rig. Congrats! :rock:

Thanks. Next up is a simple rack effects unit to throw in there for some reverb on cleans and delay on leads. Maybe one of the Yamaha SPX or an Alesis of some sort.... or if I go modern maybe a TC M-350

Those are great preamps- you should easily be able to dial in Gilmour? EJ type tones and much more with no pedals on there as well. Have you tried those ?

Beautiful no fuzz or fizz distortion tones.......!

Congrats - nice move!

I haven't tried Gilmour or EJ yet, but I could see it being doable... I was just happy to pull a nice jazzy tone lol

There is a LOT of tonal range in this... and I haven't even started playing with the power amp settings

yngwieaddict":imoc53xj said:
Hello

Where is the sou!nd module in the Access to recognize the version A to B ?

Thanks.

Pierre

It's sad, this was so long ago that I don't remember :LOL: :LOL:

Obviously the setup is long gone now.

Back