NGD - MILLS AFTERBURNER 412 CAB

droptrd":32kq3lii said:
Congrats! Been gassin for one of those for a while now. Im sooo jealous :D

Thanks Guys! I'm spazzing out... My HERBERT Should be here any minute!!!

I can't wait to hear the MILLS with That plugged into it!!!! :rock:

Roid

herberts blow big time? why do you feel that, I run herbert as my main amp live and many compliments from other bands,road techs and sound men......I love herbert live.

glpg80":21cf8nvo said:
lolzgreg":21cf8nvo said:
glpg80":21cf8nvo said:
Digital Jams":21cf8nvo said:
Shark Diver":21cf8nvo said:
What speakers are you guys using in them?

Lots are using G12K100s which I have had no interest in so I am not sure a demo with those would be the best choice for me.

+2

i dislike the speakers and oversized cabinets. i cant imagine putting both together would justify anything im looking for at all. my 5150 cabinets are as solid as i need. sorry, but im quite skeptical against anything oversized. whether its channeled, ported, or plain.

You know the Boogie 4x12 Recto is the most recorded metal guitar cabinet in the universe? Oversized cabs are great for metal. You're lowering the fundamental that is supported by the cab by going bigger; it shifs the honky mids and wooly lows down to chunk and sheen.

Name some of your favorite MODERN guitar tones, guaranteed they used a recto 4x12 on at least 2/5.

it shifts nothing speaker wise. the apparent shift you are hearing is actually the resonnance frequency of the cabinet itself being shifted. if anything, you are creating a larger cu/ft space of resident air that the speakers work with inside the cabinet. the speakers thus have more room to breathe, and 99/100 it seems woofy, lost, and basically a flubby mix of looseness that has no real low-end. it is harder to play on cabinets that are 4x10 or 4x12 with just a guitar and amplifier, but to my ears they are balanced in JUST the right areas there. i have heard a 4x10 cabinet that stomp ass all over my 5150 cabinets, and thats really saying something. the give and ease of playing that a 4x12 has, is better than the teen***** tightness 4x10's have. the word 3D comes to mind. its basic math.

with that being said, im sure mill's accoustics have gotten it right tuning the cabinet itself with what seems to be a channel/port design, without external ports.

however if this always worked, then im sure competition boxes for subwoofers would be doing it too.

also, im sure a few guys recording wise can vouch for this, but 4/5 of the magic of a recorded tone is more of the engineering skills of the audio engineer, the recording equipment, and the time spent polishing. i also think its extremely hard to capture the overall tone that is in discussion here on an actual recording. again, more engineering magic than anything.

however live use im sure, if they did get it right (which im still skeptical about, sorry) that there would be a large difference over a normal 4x12.

im just saying i hate woofyness. every cabinet has done it so far, im not sure its any different here. its just like me saying herberts blow big time live and the same problem i now hear on all herbert recordings. i see something different than alot of people do i guess. who knows.

again to the buyer, glad you managed to find a staple with your tone. my transformer upgrades were like that for me. its a great feeling :)

I'M NOT SO SURE YOU SHOULD BE SO SURE!

YOUR POST IS DRIPPING WITH CLOSED MINDED-NESS,...IF NOTHING AT ALL LIFE TEACHES YA THAT THERE ARE NO AB-SOUL-UTES,...NOTHING IS BLACK AND WHITE,..JUST DIFFERENT SHADES OF GREY BROTHER,...

SNATCH THE PEBBLE FROM MY HAND GRASSHOPPER

if your on the path to beat carl at his own game, you're doing an excellent job :)

i didnt mean to hijack this guys poor thread - i've thanked him twice and mentioned how awsome it is to find a "staple" in your tone whatever it may be. that rarely happens. for me it was a pickup and a transformer.

again, awsome news to roid post some clips comparisons if you can :thumbsup:

FIVE Years, and everytime i turn on HERBERT, its like the first day I bought it, Perfection!

Ya know, if I was rich, there are so many amps out there that are awesome, this , bullshit that one amp sucks and another one slays, is so wrong, I would own so many amps, each one has its own magic, and the CABINET, has a lot to do with it as well as gtr/pups. Hell I went to chuck levins in MD, I played every freakin amp there, why? cuz it was fun. SiG X, Bogner,uber xtc, engl powerball, steve morse, the SE, herbert, vh4, evh 3, marshall jvm, and a few others... dude, with a diff Cab depending on amp, they all shined in one way or another, The Cabinets have such a impact on the heads, id love to try an afterburner and a stoneage, both of there craftmanship is Excellent, they specialize in cabinets.

But for me, Diezel/Mesa/Splawn are my favorites... cabs im still hunting!

RoidRage":2uo5us9x said:
I Just got this, and I'm dumbfounded, Slackjawed, Shock & Awed, Speechless and AMAZED! :worship:

This thing made more of a difference in my sound than any Head, Effect, Guitar, Pickup or you name it....

What does it sound like? DEVASTATION! World War III, The End Of The World! A freight Train Is Running In My House?
I don't know.. But it has Power, Bass, Punch, And Clarity Beyond belief! Plus it SNARLS!

I thought Dave Mills Was exaggerating a bit.... Hyping his product... I mean, I knew they were good or else I would not
have ordered it and waited for it to be built... But now? I think he was not hyping it ENOUGH! I Really can't belive it!

JUST AWESOME MAN! :rawk:

ROID

awesome, What have you a/b this mills with, please not more fuckin hype or excitement like its your first piece of ass, calm down n think clearly, i know you spent a good buck on it, so id like to hear an unbiased opion of it is. Tnx CJ

Well CJ,

I have on hand a Cameron 4x12, a Marshall 1960bv Straight Vintage cab loaded with 4 Vintage 30's, and a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12...

Ok... So I want to be calm for you now... I don't want you to start with the Explitives again

First thing is... I tried my Rivera Knucklehead Reverb (The Big One... Not the Tre), on a lot of Cabs... A Bogner, don't know which one sorry... An Egnater with 4 Elite 80's my Marshall & Cameron Cabs, a regular 1960 cab with T75's, and A Friends Marshall cab with Lead 80's and H30's, and there is a big difference between this and those... I'm selling the Rivera, but after hearing on this reconsidering it.... Although the replacement head is almost here :D

The spike you sometimes hear with Vintage 30's is not there, and it sure has a ton more bottom end heft than the 30's do in the Marshall cab. Also... It really is way more responsive, and tight than any other cab I've played... Very fast response and Moves a ton of air...

It just makes you smile... Muted single notes PULSE at you, and you feel them... Another thing is, it really projects the sound into the room.

I Really love it... I wouldn't want to drag it around giging though, it's a BIG HEAVY SUCKER! :yes:

Best,

RoydRAGE

glpg80":1kzwdvc3 said:
it shifts nothing speaker wise. the apparent shift you are hearing is actually the resonnance frequency of the cabinet itself being shifted. if anything, you are creating a larger cu/ft space of resident air that the speakers work with inside the cabinet. the speakers thus have more room to breathe, and 99/100 it seems woofy, lost, and basically a flubby mix of looseness that has no real low-end. it is harder to play on cabinets that are 4x10 or 4x12 with just a guitar and amplifier, but to my ears they are balanced in JUST the right areas there. i have heard a 4x10 cabinet that stomp ass all over my 5150 cabinets, and thats really saying something. the give and ease of playing that a 4x12 has, is better than the teen***** tightness 4x10's have. the word 3D comes to mind. its basic math.

with that being said, im sure mill's accoustics have gotten it right tuning the cabinet itself with what seems to be a channel/port design, without external ports.

however if this always worked, then im sure competition boxes for subwoofers would be doing it too.

also, im sure a few guys recording wise can vouch for this, but 4/5 of the magic of a recorded tone is more of the engineering skills of the audio engineer, the recording equipment, and the time spent polishing. i also think its extremely hard to capture the overall tone that is in discussion here on an actual recording. again, more engineering magic than anything.

however live use im sure, if they did get it right (which im still skeptical about, sorry) that there would be a large difference over a normal 4x12.

im just saying i hate woofyness. every cabinet has done it so far, im not sure its any different here. its just like me saying herberts blow big time live and the same problem i now hear on all herbert recordings. i see something different than alot of people do i guess. who knows.

again to the buyer, glad you managed to find a staple with your tone. my transformer upgrades were like that for me. its a great feeling :)

I'm sorry, but I gotta back up Greg here. The bottom line: A huge majority of the best (and most talked about) modern metal guitar tones have come from a 5150 into a Mesa Recto (Oversized) cab mic'd with an SM57. From Colin Richardson to Andy Sneap to Jason Suecof... the recto cab is a proven staple of modern metal guitar tone. The worries about looseness and flub and all of that are BS and scare people off before they even try them. The tightness comes from using EMGs and boosting with a tubescreamer. I'm into extremely tight low tuned machine gun style riffing, and with the right pickups and a tubescreamer boosting, a recto oversized cab can be plenty tight. With tight pickups and a ts boost, tightness is no longer a factor and the real issue is where the mids sit in the cab. Unfortunately, a lot of people completely skip over the recto cabs because of negative things they hear about them on forums like here or HCAF... when in reality, a lot of normal sized cabs with V30s sound "stuffy" or "wooly" in a bad way, and the recto OS cab would give the extra depth and more relaxed mids they want.

I'm strictly talking about high gain modern metal guitar tone here. If you're into more mid gain classic rock or indie rock or more of an 80s marshall sound, then it'd make sense if you didn't like the recto cabs, but if we're talking modern metal, there is no point badmouthing a cab that has produced some of the best metal guitar tones ever recorded. I have a Mills cab right now by the way, but I had to stick up for the recto cabs.

JoshuaLogan":2myhse7t said:
glpg80":2myhse7t said:

I'm sorry, but I gotta back up Greg here. The bottom line: A huge majority of the best (and most talked about) modern metal guitar tones have come from a 5150 into a Mesa Recto (Oversized) cab mic'd with an SM57. From Colin Richardson to Andy Sneap to Jason Suecof... the recto cab is a proven staple of modern metal guitar tone. The worries about looseness and flub and all of that are BS and scare people off before they even try them. The tightness comes from using EMGs and boosting with a tubescreamer. I'm into extremely tight low tuned machine gun style riffing, and with the right pickups and a tubescreamer boosting, a recto oversized cab can be plenty tight. With tight pickups and a ts boost, tightness is no longer a factor and the real issue is where the mids sit in the cab. Unfortunately, a lot of people completely skip over the recto cabs because of negative things they hear about them on forums like here or HCAF... when in reality, a lot of normal sized cabs with V30s sound "stuffy" or "wooly" in a bad way, and the recto OS cab would give the extra depth and more relaxed mids they want.

I'm strictly talking about high gain modern metal guitar tone here. If you're into more mid gain classic rock or indie rock or more of an 80s marshall sound, then it'd make sense if you didn't like the recto cabs, but if we're talking modern metal, there is no point badmouthing a cab that has produced some of the best metal guitar tones ever recorded. I have a Mills cab right now by the way, but I had to stick up for the recto cabs.

So,side by side, mills n mesa.....is it a sonic difference, yes moder metal tone ( 3days grace,godsmack, soil,killswitch)

Of the 2 cabs I currently own - recto 412 (oversized) & randall xl 412 (standard size) - the recto is the tightest. though the randall has 2 hellatones in it.

Rob Tahan":20dy5gxp said:
mhenson42":20dy5gxp said:
se7en":20dy5gxp said:
Anyone A/B these with a Bogner cab?

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45124

Yes, but this is not in comparison to the NEW diezel FL and RL cabinets.
Those are apparently amazing..
I want to know so bad. :doh:

Apparently amazing? I've heard that from like 3 people who've had them. One being Duolos and another being an endorsee who probably got them for free. Yeah. I really want to try one too... but I bought 2 Mills cabs for less than $200 more than one Diezel cab would have cost. Maybe if they had the money back guarantee that Mills has, it might be worth a try.

Crunch Master":2m7mweq3 said:
Mills are rear mounted, right? :confused:
Wondering the same thing. There is a 4x12 AB at my local music'go'round and it sounds awesome, but it did sound rear mounted, but I could be wrong.

Most of us have far better things to worry about than comparing 4 digit cabinets, I know I do.

BRING THAT MILLS TO THE FORTIN HANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back