NGD: PRS SC245 Artist - WOW!!!!! (pics inside)

Deaj

I arrived home from work this evening to find a UPS package waiting for me - sweet!!! I've been looking forward to this for a week now though to be honest I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I made the trade decision for this guitar with my eyes mostly (though I was looking for a short scale guitar and I generally like PRS guitars - my #1 is a PRS I've owned for 22 years). I hadn't played an SC245 when I agreed to the trade. I did get out and play a couple SC245's while waiting for this to arrive though none with the 245 pickups. My hopes were that this guitar would be just as the early SC245 was described - 'similar to a 50's LP but more midrange focus and a more refined sound'.

After playing it for an hour or so all I can say is WOW!!!!! It's everything I'd hoped it would be and more! I think the description above fits very nicely. It's what I wanted the LP's I'd owned in the past to be. From shimmering blackface cleans to gained-out Mesa Mark lead tones this thing sounds beautiful!

I haven't played it enough to post any kind of a review but I can say I really like everything about it so far.

Here are some pics I took this evening:

sc245-01.jpg

sc245-02.jpg

sc245-03.jpg

sc245-04.jpg

sc245-05.jpg

sc245-06.jpg

sc245-07.jpg

sc245-08.jpg

sc245-09.jpg

sc245-10.jpg

sc245-11.jpg

HAPPY NGD! :rock:

It does feel extra special when you go in for a guitar purchase half-blind and for it to ultimately fulfill all the hopes you had for it. I've been there myself on a particular purchase (Carvin CT-3), bought it blind from the Carvin store online and it ended up meeting all my expectations! Rare moments indeed! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Is that a macassar ebony fret board and headstock overlay?

If so, I have a SC250 AP with the same wood, and it kills.

Nice score. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! :)

Wizard of Ozz":3kk4vtsj said:

Yes it's macassar ebony. It's stunning! Would you mind posting a pic of your SC250 here?

Deaj":3biwr9jx said:

Wizard of Ozz":3biwr9jx said:

Yes it's macassar ebony. It's stunning! Would you mind posting a pic of your SC250 here?

Sure... :D

PRSSC250WB2.jpg

PRSSC250WB4.jpg

PRSSC250WB5.jpg

The fret board is much darker in person. The macassar ebony really adds a nice sharp attack to the tone. Really a great wood combo.
:thumbsup:

Wizard of Ozz":1iugknsy said:
Deaj":1iugknsy said:

Wizard of Ozz":1iugknsy said:

Sure... :D

PRSSC250WB2.jpg

The fret board is much darker in person. The macassar ebony really adds a nice sharp attack to the tone. Really a great wood combo.
:thumbsup:

Wow! That's gorgeous!! That top kills! Love the headstock too.

I agree. The SC245's I demo'd with rosewood boards had less 'snap' in the attack and a touch less top end. The ebony board seems like the perfect choice for this guitar.

I'm diggin' the 245 pickups a whole lot! They have a cool midrange character thats sweet and clear and they bark when I dig in!

Very nice! I have an Artist Singlecut. How does the scale-length affect the tone/feel compared to my Singlecut, for example, with the 25" scale length?

n12201202_31144803_7312.jpg

FourT6and2":2nrnwbta said:
Very nice! I have an Artist Singlecut. How does the scale-length affect the tone/feel compared to my Singlecut, for example, with the 25" scale length?

Wow - that's gorgeous!! What a top!! :rock:

My '88 PRS CE is a 25" scale length so I have some frame of reference. Other than the reduced string tension I don't notice any difference in playability. The reduced tension does add some expressive possibilities with a heavier attack. There's a perceived 'growl' when you dig in to the strings. I really like the short scale length.

FourT6and2":6xgqqj3k said:

:inlove: Smokey midnight blueeeeeeeeeeeeeee WOW

Deaj":2xnh1pjo said:
FourT6and2":2xnh1pjo said:

My '88 PRS CE is a 25" scale length so I have some frame of reference. Other than the reduced string tension I don't notice any difference in playability. The reduced tension does add some expressive possibilities with a heavier attack. There's a perceived 'growl' when you dig in to the strings. I really like the short scale length.

I need to try a 245. I like my Les Paul's sound more than my PRS, but I prefer the PRS in terms of playability.
Also your new 245 looks to be a lot thicker than my Singlecut. Maybe it's just an illusion since you don't have "natural binding." But I swear your's is like 1/4" thicker or something.

jlbaxe":2xnh1pjo said:
FourT6and2":2xnh1pjo said:

It's not really blue. That's probably just the angle and lighting of that shot. It's actually black/grey. The grey gives it a blueish hue under certain light:

3cd9aab12ed18edd1f95001023de8411.jpg

FourT6and2":73btrgc0 said:
Deaj":73btrgc0 said:

I need to try a 245. I like my Les Paul's sound more than my PRS, but I prefer the PRS in terms of playability.
Also your new 245 looks to be a lot thicker than my Singlecut. Maybe it's just an illusion since you don't have "natural binding." But I swear your's is like 1/4" thicker or something.

jlbaxe":73btrgc0 said:

It's not really blue. That's probably just the angle and lighting of that shot. It's actually black/grey. The grey gives it a blueish hue under certain light:

3cd9aab12ed18edd1f95001023de8411.jpg
seems like the grey will pick up different stage light. Bet it looks cool under a red light. Really cool guitar!

Back