NGD Suhr Classic Pro HSS

Adambomb

Been in the market to a HSS Strat style guitar for awhile now. Grew up playing Strat's but mostly been playing Les Paul's the last 10 years. I've debated on buying a Suhr guitar for awhile now but no dealers in my area, and rule #1 is "play before you pay", but after a year of trying to find one near me I was about to give up. Vintage King in Nashville I think sells them but they always had just a couple in stock and their shop must be hidden somewhere cause I'm in Nashville all the time. Anyway I thought about making the drive to Memphis but I just don't have time. So I did heavy research on the forums and talking to players with similar styles and gear that I have or have had and liked in the past and all the reviews and demos... I mean you can get a general idea of what will best suite you and your style but it's still a gamble that I usually would never take on a 2K instrument.

So I said fu@k it and pulled the trigger on a new 2017 Suhr Classic Pro HSS in 3-tone burst from Humbucker Music. First I'll say that I was a little worried about the shipping in a gig bag but after I received the box from Humbucker Music (thanks Brian!) and how well they pack these guitars, I'm glad I didn't get the hardshell case, as it would be collecting dust in the mucky case closet with the other 5 cases. I use a gig bag for all local jams and gigs anyway. First thing that amazed me was the C medium neck.. and maybe my new favorite neck profile, it's just perfect, not too thin or not too thick just perfectly comfortable (have bigger than average hands). I love Les Paul necks from 50's-60's and the Classic Pro's neck reminds me of a more comfortable 60's LP profile. The construction of this guitar is flawless down to every little screw, I'm sure most of you know this.

So I finally plugged in and was automatically inspired to play some old Hendrix and Clayton. It's been 10 years since I've owned a guitar with single coils and these sound great, very well balanced, super good clarity and mix with the SSV in the bridge better than I thought it would. Started in on some Van Halen and can nail that tone. Gibbons tones were there as well. I'm just super excited to start playing again after a year off from gigging. I can say I'm extremely impressed with how well this instrument sounds, plays and feels just a month old out from the Suhr factory. It's only been 24 hours but this guitar has some of the best single coil tones sounding really sweet from classic blues to 80's rock, and the SSV humbucker is putting out great clarity with gain, reminds me of a hotter PAF that still has good punch and a nice balanced tone, sounds great clean but really great with overdrive. Best gear purchase in the last few years hands down!

Back