NGD: USA Select San Dimas

'63-Strat

Got this a couple weeks ago but probably more of interest to Rig Talk Crowd:

[Disclaimer: long and rambling]

Where I live in the San Bernardino mountains we got over 100 inches (over 8 ft) of snow a few weeks back and were completely snowed in for like two weeks with my wife and 5 month old son. It was declared a county, state and federal emergency. We ran out of regular dog food, but luckily I was used to making them food from scratch occasionally. We also would have nearly run out of baby formula [!] but am lucky to have a sheriff as a next door neighbor who brought us multiple cans of formula and another couple neighbors who brought us other supplies, thankfully. To say my wife was anxious is an understatement. I had to shovel our decks repeatedly as was danger of them collapsing from the weight (this happened to many people up here, even roofs collapsed from weight). It's weird looking at the videos now that we're nearly without snow and is nice out, when only a few weeks back was a total sh*tshow.

Because I saved us literally thousands in potential damages and/or snow removal (assuming someone could have even got to us) with nothing but a shovel I had the biggest green light ever to get a new guitar. Do I need another guitar? No, but I had been missing my US charvels and US Jackson SL2H sold off years ago before they skyrocketed in price (which in and of itself was a fail). Found this used USA Select San Dimas HSS in Snow Blind finish and it seemed extremely appropriate given the circumstances, and looked great to boot, IMO. It is easily on par with my previous ones (US pro mod style 2 and Music Zoo CS mahogany San Dimas), maybe better. I normally use 10-52s but probably will keep the 9s on this one as it plays great as is, arrived in tune somehow too.

I paid $1800 and then when guitar arrived had a few obvious undisclosed dings which was not stoked about as was listed as mint and asked lots of questions before sending payment. To the seller's credit, they brought up idea of partial refund and offered $200 back without my asking. So actually $1600, which I think is a good deal all things considered in current market. But I dunno, what do you think on value?

And yes before someone states the obvious, yes, will be buying a snowblower and electric snowshovel (for decks) before next winter. But this was like a once in 30 years kind of storm, and some have argued once in 150 years up here.

/rant

E3D91E28-21D6-4D63-A399-3364F8743DA1.jpeg
3B9B1414-EB99-444F-A1D9-7181468F43D9.jpeg

And a very non-charvel Charlie Parker song working on:

Nice congrats! I love the pickups in those but I think it’s odd to mix a super distortion with 2 HS-2 pickups…. Is there a massive volume drop when switching to the single coils? I have both of those model pickups but not in the same guitar. I would think it’s a massive change in volume.

Nice congrats! I love the pickups in those but I think it’s odd to mix a super distortion with 2 HS-2 pickups…. Is there a massive volume drop when switching to the single coils? I have both of those model pickups but not in the same guitar. I would think it’s a massive change in volume.
There is definitely a volume difference but I raised the "singles" and is not that big a deal. I have lots of other guitars, so for an HSS I don't mind my bridge being hotter on this one. Kind of let's you go from rhythm to lead just by switching. I reserve the right to change my mind and try other neck + middle pickups in future though :)

Got this a couple weeks ago but probably more of interest to Rig Talk Crowd:

[Disclaimer: long and rambling]

Where I live in the San Bernardino mountains we got over 100 inches (over 8 ft) of snow a few weeks back and were completely snowed in for like two weeks with my wife and 5 month old son. It was declared a county, state and federal emergency. We ran out of regular dog food, but luckily I was used to making them food from scratch occasionally. We also would have nearly run out of baby formula [!] but am lucky to have a sheriff as a next door neighbor who brought us multiple cans of formula and another couple neighbors who brought us other supplies, thankfully. To say my wife was anxious is an understatement. I had to shovel our decks repeatedly as was danger of them collapsing from the weight (this happened to many people up here, even roofs collapsed from weight). It's weird looking at the videos now that we're nearly without snow and is nice out, when only a few weeks back was a total sh*tshow.

Because I saved us literally thousands in potential damages and/or snow removal (assuming someone could have even got to us) with nothing but a shovel I had the biggest green light ever to get a new guitar. Do I need another guitar? No, but I had been missing my US charvels and US Jackson SL2H sold off years ago before they skyrocketed in price (which in and of itself was a fail). Found this used USA Select San Dimas HSS in Snow Blind finish and it seemed extremely appropriate given the circumstances, and looked great to boot, IMO. It is easily on par with my previous ones (US pro mod style 2 and Music Zoo CS mahogany San Dimas), maybe better. I normally use 10-52s but probably will keep the 9s on this one as it plays great as is, arrived in tune somehow too.

I paid $1800 and then when guitar arrived had a few obvious undisclosed dings which was not stoked about as was listed as mint and asked lots of questions before sending payment. To the seller's credit, they brought up idea of partial refund and offered $200 back without my asking. So actually $1600, which I think is a good deal all things considered in current market. But I dunno, what do you think on value?

And yes before someone states the obvious, yes, will be buying a snowblower and electric snowshovel (for decks) before next winter. But this was like a once in 30 years kind of storm, and some have argued once in 150 years up here.

/rant

View attachment 191926View attachment 191929

And a very non-charvel Charlie Parker song working on:

Cool guitar! The red strat beside it looks sweet too

Back