No more EHX Russian tubes in 2022

Maybe some of you remember what happened when Aspen Pittman tried to make tubes in the USA. They bought all the old GE machines and completely failed at making them. The machines were sent to China.
It takes more than money and the machines to make them. You need people that can actually do the work.
All the old timers that knew how to do it died a long time ago. The few here that do know how to do it are not going to be cheap.
Would you pay $300 for a tube ?
Yep all about the economics of it. Most blame the EPA, that has nothing to do with it. The issue is as Aspen discovered, can you make enough of them and can you employ enough people to make the bottom line profitable. He couldn't at the time.

I think the best hope is that the Shuguang factory get up and running again or the offshoot factory (Psvane) ramp up it's production of guitar amp tubes, that are affordable. Or JJ is able to increase production. Maybe someone like Mike Matthews can invest in JJ to increase size and output and bring those designs he had the Reflektor plant making.

The market albeit small is there but I don't see America getting back into the game. Hope I'm wrong.

I' m sure this has already been said but the hell with Putin ToobZ! I like my tubes with a side of FREeDoM so it's Chinese toobz for me all the way! I want my tubes to do what I tell them to do!

I remember this story and that is the real challenge - getting yield high enough to turn a profit. It’s really hard to make tubes and as much art as it is electrical knowledge. It does take talent.

I find it shocking Russia can single handedly shut down the entire music industry overnight but here we are. I’m hoping EHX will try to bring their factories overseas back to domestic markets even if it means prices won’t go back to what they were before. Not having them at all is not good.

The mighty Russian economy hitting us all with counter sanctions. Forcing us right into China's digital hands! This is a double loss for the west.

Reactions: Geo
Curious to anybody's thoughts on the china el34's brown base single getter that Bugera and others have relabeled?? I'm not a snob but nice to have some quads in the dust bin just in case.
I have a set in my JMP. They sound great. I just ordered a few more sets on E-Bay. Guy is selling them for 50.00 for a quad…Great price

Who remembers the aborted, attempted revival of the U.K. Blackburn manufacturing plant during the late 2000's? Some company named Techtube tried to make modern day Mullard 12ax7 equivalents which turned out to be a dismal failure. Lots of sample prototypes were sent out with unanimous reports of high microphony and poor tone.

Last edited:
Someone who will remain nameless is working on preamp and Poweramp tubes made in the west. Looks pretty promising.

Just commenting on my own situation, I just hope I can still get JJs for repairs and that most of the repairs that come through don’t need tubes.

I am curious to see what happens to the prices of tube amps, SS amps, digital amps, digital preamps, etc as time goes on.

I'll trade my stash of NOS and new production tubes, including some EHX, for a pair of original, pre Brad era CCVs, two modded amps by Hermansson(one Marshall and one old PA head) and a Larry Rock Wizard(will pass on the Larry if missing parts from factory and keep two quads of EH EL-34s) and three Mesa amps... a Coliseum C++, a DRG C+ and a Chrome chassis Rev C Dual Rectifier.
I'll throw an extra set of three Svetlana 12AX7s for all the above plus an 80s SLO.
Buyer is responsible for the shipping of the nine amps.
I'm firm on the trade. :ROFLMAO:

Update. I got this from David who makes the hotmod:

7A541F14-C9DC-4DA6-9DCD-132EA8B3C223.png

Sorry haven't had time to read this whole thread - but what's the word on JJ? Slovakian as far as I know, and still in business.

I have a set in my JMP. They sound great. I just ordered a few more sets on E-Bay. Guy is selling them for 50.00 for a quad…Great price

Count me in too. Bought the 3-pack he has listed. I should be set now on power tubes.

Sorry haven't had time to read this whole thread - but what's the word on JJ? Slovakian as far as I know, and still in business.

Yes, still in business but I've seen anywhere from 6-20 months backordered depending on where you look on the net. Although I have no idea where those numbers are coming from, or if they are even true. So much crap flyin' around the interwebz right now it's hard to tell what's accurate and what isn't.

Fuck Putin and Biden and Politics.... I want to be able to buy Russian EL34 tubes and Russian ammo for my guns because the ammo is cheap. You want cheap gas and to HURT Russia? Then continue everything Trump was doing that made America energy independent, and to the point of where we exported and sold more American oil and natural gas then we were using. Europe bought our stuff. Biden killed the Keystone pipeline with a swipe of a pen on his first day in office and then signed off approving the pipeline from Russia to Germany, making Putin richer and stronger. America will just use windmills and now and buy oil from Iran at $130 a barrel to show our moral superiority and outrage. I just checked tonight online for getting Groove Tubes EL34M's, EH EL34's and their Mullards....There was nothing on Sweetwater, Doug's Tubes, Ebay; and The Tube Store's website was down. This is a joke, and we are all getting ass raped.

Back