Noise Gates?

I have never needed to try a new one plus if you have the right gear you don't need the best noise Gate

Haven’t tried Decimator 2. When the first one came out I bought one and loved it. Shortly thereafter a second was given to me as a gift. Is Decimator 2 better?

thenine":1s8ze2bz said:
Haven’t tried Decimator 2. When the first one came out I bought one and loved it. Shortly thereafter a second was given to me as a gift. Is Decimator 2 better?

Decimator 2 is supposed to track better that ver. 1, doesn't chop notes off. You can read about it on their website. I own the 2 and like it. Simple to use with1 knob. I tried a few noise gates and it was a pain to deal with the threshold settings and other settings to get it to gate right.

Have been using the SMG Cock Blocker for a few weeks and it's dead ass silent! I run it in the front and the loop together. Great decay and no flutter at the end. Doesn't have the "chirp" on the close that my Decimator had.

New stuff can be run in the loop but key'ed off the input. Zull does it but also check out TC Sentry- that is a great pedal at a better price than most

I did love my Decimators too

Rex Rocker":38odi333 said:
I find the NS-2 tends to darken/fatten the tone a bit, wether in the loop or in front of the amp.

That has been my experience as well.

Well in other news I just tried the high-speed decimator in the effects loop and since I have a parallel loop it's not really much help ughh I'm really thinking about modding my app to be a series effects loop

This thread is of interest to me.

So you kept your Rectoverb?

Gate in the loop doesn't work because the loop is parallel. That's what you are saying?

And your question is, is it better to buy a second gate (once you do the loop mod) like another Decimator 1 - or start over and get a new gate that will do the x-pattern out of the gate (no pun intended).

I really tried not to be confusing :LOL: :LOL:

311splawndude":37ab4vct said:
This thread is of interest to me.

So you kept your Rectoverb?

Gate in the loop doesn't work because the loop is parallel. That's what you are saying?

And your question is, is it better to buy a second gate (once you do the loop mod) like another Decimator 1 - or start over and get a new gate that will do the x-pattern out of the gate (no pun intended).

I really tried not to be confusing :LOL: :LOL:

Lol yes I kept my Rectoverb
Here's what's going on first and foremost I'm getting radio signals in my amp I think it's the house. However using a monster power strip and a voodoo Labs power ISo 5 I think I have greatly reduced that issue.
Second I'm building a rig I want to put a flashback 2 delay and a Corona chorus in the loop since they both have a kill dry setting for my parallel loop. I wanted to know if I need a noise Gate in the loop for those pedals or if there is a noise Gate that works in a parallel loop that will help unwanted noise. The decimator is almost useless if it's not a series loop in the back of the amp unfortunately. FYI the Rectoverb is awesome and I have questions for you later lol

I'm not a noise gate expert so I really can't help you there. I'm actually considering getting one myself but it would be more for any front end guitar noise and to give me a bit more cutting staccato like riffing.

I did have an MXR Smartgate at one time but I didn't see the value at the time so I traded it off.

As far as your loop, I'm considering doing the same thing. I get that increasing swirl like my amp is getting sucked into a black hole sound every know and then but mostly fixed it I think with a good 12AX7 in loop slot. I run a Carbon Copy analog delay, Fish n Chips EQ, and a Hardwire RV7 reverb, (and now a Boss Loop Station) and don't have too many issues anymore. Sometimes when I hit the EQ I get a little. Sometimes I crank every thing up including the Mix knob and try to induce the blackhole just to see if it is still an issue. I'd have to really experiment some more with my current set up to give you anything factual at this point.

Is your loop tube good?

Happy to try to help in any other ways I can :)

The ISP stuff is great. I have been using the rack units and pedals since they came out. I haven't found anything better for me. You may not notice as much of a difference between products in your bedroom but get everything running at volume and you quickly see the benefit.

Side note: Noise issues don't equate to having bad gear.

RockyStar":gkdv3nf5 said:
BrentSSL":gkdv3nf5 said:
I have never needed to try a new one plus if you have the right gear you don't need the best noise Gate

:no: :confused:

I'm talking wires and shielding power conditioning things like that can help keep the noise down. Also if you have a 30 year old crate tube amp that's never been serviced you can have some issues also. I tried a lot a lot of different guitar amplifiers through the years and usually the nicer ones are less noisy.

BrentSSL":2hyax74a said:
Anyone try that Bowin nose gate how does it compare to the ISP I heard it kills highs
I don't know how it compares to the ISP but I just bought the Rowin noise gate and to me it works great plus I only spent $25 new for it so that is a bonus.

BrentSSL":1ohidfjl said:
RockyStar":1ohidfjl said:
BrentSSL":1ohidfjl said:

I'm talking wires and shielding power conditioning things like that can help keep the noise down. Also if you have a 30 year old crate tube amp that's never been serviced you can have some issues also. I tried a lot a lot of different guitar amplifiers through the years and usually the nicer ones are less noisy.

True, but for some material a gate is almost mandatory (high gain with lots of start/stop chunking)
For regular rock, I could get away with a quality amp and using my guitar volume to get things quiet

crankyrayhanky":21qzkdeu said:
BrentSSL":21qzkdeu said:
RockyStar":21qzkdeu said:
BrentSSL":21qzkdeu said:

True, but for some material a gate is almost mandatory (high gain with lots of start/stop chunking)
For regular rock, I could get away with a quality amp and using my guitar volume to get things quiet

Yeah that's a good addition to what I said I was just answering the guy scratching his head over what I said LOL but what you said is super valid to.

Back