NSD! Celestion Redback 4x12. 600W of Awesome.

GJgo

For a couple years I've been wanting to load a 4x12 Redback cab & I finally got 'er done. At the moment, my GAS for new speakers is extinguished. I REALLY like them. They have a nice complex tone, sound great with all my heads, did a GREAT job handling an 8 string's bottom end (including djent) and even brand new they're not harsh. I've been doing some extensive testing with different guitars / amps / boosts / other speakers including pairings and they're playing well with others.

Similar to the Greenbacks, I'm hearing a tonal complexity that's a little deeper & more detailed where the V30s & T75s are more mono-dimensional.

Playing in the band when I'm A/B ing cabs, both my guys immediately called out the RB cab as sitting better in the mix & they can hear me better.

I've also wanted a cab that I can really crank the Coliseums and not worry about whatsoever, that'll do it! Hell, I'm tempted to run the Coli into 2 of them and slave the M180 into the other two just to see how nuts it can get since the cab has a stereo jack.

Attachments

• IMG_E0841.JPG
    IMG_E0841.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 73
Alright here's some audio with the Rev C.

Also here's some more with the IIC++, however this was a few weeks ago when the RBs were still in my drummer's 2x12.

Clear winner for me was the Fortin TS9 with the greenbacks and then Fortin TS9 with the Redbacks in 2nd place. T75 were my least favorites. The Fortin TS's aggressive mids are such a great fit with Recto's. I highly recommend also 20w GB's and Alnico Gold's. The 20's are tighter, faster, more aggressive, upper mid grind, but not as thick as the 25's. They also don't have nasal mids like the 25's

With the c+ my ears preferred actually the UK 75's and Redbacks. Greenbacks were my least favorites in that clip. With my C+ HRG and Coli's JBL's and '60's Blues are probably the kings for me with them

Clear winner for me was the Fortin TS9 with the greenbacks and then Fortin TS9 with the Redbacks in 2nd place. T75 were my least favorites. The Fortin TS's aggressive mids are such a great fit with Recto's. I highly recommend also 20w GB's and Alnico Gold's. The 20's are tighter, faster, more aggressive, upper mid grind, but not as thick as the 25's. They also don't have nasal mids like the 25's

With the c+ my ears preferred actually the UK 75's and Redbacks. Greenbacks were my least favorites in that clip. With my C+ HRG and Coli's JBL's and '60's Blues are probably the kings for me with them
The GBs and the RBs are both far more layered & detailed. I love them both for that.

Thanks for the recs. :) Next on my hit list are some vintage G12-65s. I'm sure I'll get to the Alnicos someday, however for metal they're down the list.. I hear the blues are killer though!

In the room, I tend to still prefer the OD1X for how thick it is and the unique quality in the mids- however, the TS9 is a game changer for the tone of the RBs and especially the 75s. It makes the 75s a whole new, and much better, speaker.

Thanks for the clips! How were they recorded? Mics, IRs, load box, etc ?
Guitar - pedalboard - amp - cab - E609 - triple tracked and panned L/C/R in Studio One.

I think IRs turn amps into eunuchs. It takes away what makes them special and it makes them all sound the same. To be fair the sound is good, and I get it for touring bands & lazy recording engineers, but it's like wearing a condom. Case in point-

Great comparison, Jeremy. Rev C I’m going
GB
RB
V30
Fortin
Fortin sounds much richer and juicier in the mids with all of them imo.
C++ I dig
GB
RB
V30

Last edited:
The GBs and the RBs are both far more layered & detailed. I love them both for that.

Thanks for the recs. :) Next on my hit list are some vintage G12-65s. I'm sure I'll get to the Alnicos someday, however for metal they're down the list.. I hear the blues are killer though!

In the room, I tend to still prefer the OD1X for how thick it is and the unique quality in the mids- however, the TS9 is a game changer for the tone of the RBs and especially the 75s. It makes the 75s a whole new, and much better, speaker.
Agreed. The V30's and 75's for the Recto sounded hollow and distant to me in comparison, but translated very differently with the C+

'60's Blues are in a league of their own (not the new ones which suck imo). If you think GB's or RB's sound layered or detailed, those '60's Blues are at least 2 leagues above for that. Not at all a metal speaker per se, but when combined with JBL's sound extraordinary to me with my C+ HRG. Killer blend of of silky legato from the blues with sizzly, punchy aggression from the JBL's. Nothing chugs like an orange D120F. It's what Metallica should've been using imo. There's a stereotype of Alnico's being too smooth and pretty for metal and while that's mostly true IME, the JBL's and Celestion Alnico Gold's are some of the most biting, aggressive speakers out there. The Gold's are the only non-vintage speakers still useful for my needs. Really hard to go back to newer speakers now for me

I had an OD1X and I know what you mean about it's thickness in person, but in the clip the TS came off thicker to me. I have trouble describing it, but there's this inherent tonal thing in the OD1X that just always bothers my ears, but otherwise a very solid boost pedal

Last edited:
Back