OK...What Amps Do You NEVER Regret Selling?

Hmm...

Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa Triaxis
Bogner Ecstacy
Bogner Uberschall
Bogner Shiva
Line 6/Bogner Spider
Bogner/Hafler Triple Giant
Gallien Krueger 100MPL
Framus Cobra
Orange Rockerverb
Diezel Einstein
Diezel D'Moll
Mezzabarba Trinity

Many of these couldn't get rid of fast enough especially that Trinity and you'll notice a pattern with anything Bogner. Although I love and own their cabs.

This is very similar to mine, I've always wanted to try a cobra though

Wizard MC 25- Too much shared eq in the clean channel so the compromise no bueno
Obrien Horrible footswitchable blend channel
All Friedmans- to compressed and no raw energy in the sound or feel. Sounds perfect in many ways but not for me.
All Princeton reverbs and clones - 6V6s lack the headroom and vibe.
All Deluxe Reverbs Vintage and Modern. Don't have the ability to do anything but nice spanky cleans.
Some of the Many Marshalls I had.
Most Diezels. But some I liked
Most VHTs except Deliverance . Hated the Sig X.

Is there something you actually like?

TL;DR- Grandmeister 40 sucks big balls, like most of HK. Loose, flubby, small, soft. The Flaccid dick of amps.

The one amp that sticks in my mind is the H&K Grandmeister 40. I was so stoked about this amp, as it really did look like a winner and when I tried it on its own, it was OK. Truthfully, I can't imagine how they were able to make a 40w tube amp so damn small sounding. Nothing you did would make the guitar sound the way you wanted.binthought it was EVERYTHING else about my setup. After going through months of trying to get it to sound as good as a damn Peavey Vypr, I thought I got it set alright. Then it started having noise issues and I also had to deal with their horrible customer service. Bottom line = amp sound mediocre AT BEST. So glad things worked out the way they did. I have a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Top and absolutely love it. The gain channel is just a monster and nails the tones I was trying to achieve in seconds.

There is definitely some gear I wish I had back. That said, I don't regret selling any of it.

If I regret anything it's that I was in a position to have to sell those things at all...

EVH 5150 lbx2 and Friedman JJ Jr. The LBX 2 was too loud to play at home and not loud enough to keep up with a drummer. JJ Jr. was just way too vanilla for my taste.

This is very similar to mine, I've always wanted to try a cobra though
The Cobra was like 85% there for me.

IMO it needed to be a more raw, chewy and dynamic. Amp had tons of gain, massive low end that was not boomy. So much so that my bassist at the time who ran the classic Ampeg rig was whining that he couldn't hear his low end lol.

Overall the amp was just kinda flat and lacked some character but the platform was there. Also, I do not use OD's. Not back then and not now, I'm relying on amp gain and guitar. Maybe guys who use OD's could get more dynamics out of it, I don't know.

That said IMO had Framus made the amp more dynamic, chewy etc... I think it would still be around in some fashion because it was all there, just needed to be refined and brought out. Further that grill/faceplate was finger print city as well, they could have rethought that.

The Cobra and the Rocktron (Egnater) Vendetta were IMO two amps that I owned where I always thought, man if they had just done this or that they would have hit it out of the park because I loved the platforms.

Last edited:
TL;DR- Grandmeister 40 sucks big balls, like most of HK. Loose, flubby, small, soft. The Flaccid dick of amps.

The one amp that sticks in my mind is the H&K Grandmeister 40. I was so stoked about this amp, as it really did look like a winner and when I tried it on its own, it was OK. Truthfully, I can't imagine how they were able to make a 40w tube amp so damn small sounding. Nothing you did would make the guitar sound the way you wanted.binthought it was EVERYTHING else about my setup. After going through months of trying to get it to sound as good as a damn Peavey Vypr, I thought I got it set alright. Then it started having noise issues and I also had to deal with their horrible customer service. Bottom line = amp sound mediocre AT BEST. So glad things worked out the way they did. I have a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Top and absolutely love it. The gain channel is just a monster and nails the tones I was trying to achieve in seconds.

I got one of these in a trade once... It got re-traded in less than a week. The red gain channel is a mess. And I actually really like the mark I and II triamps, duotone, puretone, and a couple of their other amps.
I was hoping a consensus would begin to form...Looks like the ENGLs and Revvs are taking a bit of a beating thus far.

Yeah I've played a 100p and generator 120 and I absolutely hated them, so I've never bought one lol

Sterile, modern, and lacking any discernable character whatsoever

Engl does have some cool amps, I like the artist se quite a bit, but the ones I've owned have been truly awful tonewise - and taking a look inside them, they look like a repair nightmare

Firm believer that one's man's trash is another man's treasure.

Any of the multitude I didn't like could end up on the buy-and-sell forum and it's tough enough selling high-end amps right now, so I'll just list one that no negativity can impact resale value on.

Vintage Marshall amps

I've had at least one from almost every year from '69 to '81. Kept searching for the one I would bond with. Some 50-watt, some 100-watt, mostly lead spec. Not for me. The '69 50-watt bass spec was the only one I liked. Love many of the albums recorded with those amps and I recognize that nothing quite sounds like the vintage ones, but when my favorite-sounding Marshalls were modded by Friedman, Cameron, or Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah), I realized it was time to move on.

‘97 Mesa Triple Rectifier
Peavey 5150(script)
Randall Satan
I knew I wasn’t going to be in a metal band. So,
zero reason to hold on to those amps.

A Seymour Duncan Convertible amp way back in mid 80s. I sold a Marshall JCM900 Reverb (another one I couldn’t get rid of fast enough) and bought that. The other guitar player had a great JMP that destroyed it. Got a Superlead shortly after…and should have stopped right there. But we didn’t have Powerstations back then.

Picked up a used Fender re-issued Sunn))) Model T amp a few years back, was trying to get into some doom metal tones and knew the old originals were pretty dope for that.
Unfortunately, the re-issues sound nothing like the O.G. Model T's, kind of a like a slightly crappier Peavey 5150 than a doom machine.
Away it went...

Back