Ola`s Take on the Mark VII

It amazes me that Mesa still makes videos and sends Mark series amps out to people who have no fucking clue how to dial them in. At least Ola knows what he's doing. I just don't see a point for this amp. The JP2C covers the modern sound and the IIC+ sound with 2 EQs. And the Mark IV sounds better than this does in any of the clips. Hell the Mark IV feels like it has more loudness and aggression than the JP2C sometimes.

I think this post made me realize that a theoretical JP2C but with channels 2 and 3 both having a "Mark IIC+ to Mark IV" mode switch would be the perfect Mesa amp.

I don't know why they just don't release new versions of the the IIC+ and the IV. It's not like they don't know how to do it.
I play in a "Dad Rock" cover band too and my Splawn believe it or not covers 95% of what I need.
The early "transitional Mark IV"B" I recently picked up could also do the trick. this is my 3rd Mark IV and this one by far has the gainiest R2 out of the 3 I've owned.
I say Re release the IV with a solo boost and it would make a lot of people much happier than these swiss army knife amps they keep putting out.

Last edited:
I was never a Mark guy, but I loved Mesa amps: I've had a rect-o-verb, was loaning a Double rec, and still have a Road King II.

But I bought a Mark VII after listening to youtube videos last month. It is amazing, it can do metal sounds, clean sounds. It accentuates the sound of my different guitars

which dude?
lol I don’t remember what I was referencing
I think it was the review by that guy in the cut off tshirts that always boosts the amps.
Yeah, I feel like he said something about how no one was making any reviews of this amp with heavy music

I think it was the review by that guy in the cut off tshirts that always boosts the amps.
Yeah, I feel like he said something about how no one was making any reviews of this amp with heavy music

tonewars. haven't decided if that is his real hair. No hate, as I enjoy his content

This dude lost any credibility he had when he said the Ultra Lead was the worst amp he’s ever played.

I prefer amp demos that don’t ”pull me under” the mush by maxing out the gain and adding a boost in top.

To be fair it was an older model which I'm not sure if they are much different then the newer ones. You never know what is going on with the tubes or differences in circuits. I was never very impressed with the UL, got to play one for a year and it just collected dust over my other amps, not the worst amp I've played, really like the Deliverance though.

I'd like that little package with a set of 6L6's and 50 watts. Had my V25 stacked on 2 Mesa MC90 Thieles, and it sounded punishing.
Same here. On both points! (although I'm running mine through 2 Thieles that are EVM12L loaded)

Attachments

• Mesa Mini stack Thiele.jpg
    Mesa Mini stack Thiele.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 6
I got to try a VII and a JP2C side by side the other day at a local shop. I sold my mark iv a few months ago and of course I've been regretting it. I'm tempted in getting one of the newer amps when my bonus hits in about 2 weeks. Although the way my company has been downplaying our numbers from last year I may not be able to grab anything.

Having said that I can't put my finger on it but the JP2C and the Mark VII don't sound as... I don't know... "big". For me it reminds me of playing an EVH 5153 next to a Peavey. I much prefer the Peavey. This kinda made me feel the same way.

I got to try a VII and a JP2C side by side the other day at a local shop. I sold my mark iv a few months ago and of course I've been regretting it. I'm tempted in getting one of the newer amps when my bonus hits in about 2 weeks. Although the way my company has been downplaying our numbers from last year I may not be able to grab anything.

Having said that I can't put my finger on it but the JP2C and the Mark VII don't sound as... I don't know... "big". For me it reminds me of playing an EVH 5153 next to a Peavey. I much prefer the Peavey. This kinda made me feel the same way.
Did you spend some time on channel one in crunch on the VII? You would be surprised how well it sounds for high gain tones.

So you'd pick the Mark IV out of those 3 then?

Yep…That would be me
I thought you used to be Mhenson here you must have changed your user id but I would recognize that wall of Wizards anywhere.:2thumbsup:

I listened to your clip and I thought the MKVII and IIC+ sounded fairly similar.

Maybe the in the room experience is different but per the clip the IIC+ seemed to have a richer deeper tone with a little more bounce to it whereas the MKVII was brighter maybe a bit tighter but seemed to be in the ballpark to my ears. When you consider the price difference the MKVII might be close enough for some. :unsure:

I thought you used to be Mhenson here you must have changed your user id but I would recognize that wall of Wizards anywhere.:2thumbsup:

I listened to your clip and I thought the MKVII and IIC+ sounded fairly similar.

Maybe the in the room experience is different but per the clip the IIC+ seemed to have a richer deeper tone with a little more bounce to it whereas the MKVII was brighter maybe a bit tighter but seemed to be in the ballpark to my ears. When you consider the price difference the MKVII might be close enough for some. :unsure:

Yeah. Changed the name here a few months ago. Though my YT is my still real name...probably should update that too. lol. In the room, the 2C+ was definitely better, but the VII is no slouch. I like it a lot and it's good enough for me. I'm not spending $6k on a real one. I've started to play the IV mode more at 45ws and liking it even more.

Back