Old Duncan JB's?

Valtiel

So I picked up an old word worn PRS Custom 24 from the early 90's, and when I went to replace what I assumed were the equally worn stock pickups I found that they had been replaced. The less worn of the two was the neck pickup, appears to be some sort of Gibson, no idea the model. But the bridge pickup was what interested me, its a Seymour Duncan based on the stamp in the baseplate, and has a sticker on the bottom the just reads "JBL". Judging by the build and wear on this pickup its as old as Seymour himself. Any info on these?

psychodave":2b3pocqk said:
Valtiel":2b3pocqk said:
So I picked up an old word worn PRS Custom 24 from the early 90's, and when I went to replace what I assumed were the equally worn stock pickups I found that they had been replaced. The less worn of the two was the neck pickup, appears to be some sort of Gibson, no idea the model. But the bridge pickup was what interested me, its a Seymour Duncan based on the stamp in the baseplate, and has a sticker on the bottom the just reads "JBL". Judging by the build and wear on this pickup its as old as Seymour himself. Any info on these?

They sound a lot better than the new JB's. Smoother top end, big bottom end, but again, smooth. I actually have an 80's wound by MJ in the neck of my R8 Les Paul. FWIW, I have an 80's Duncan Distortion, wound by MJ, in the bridge. Even more rare is that they are both reverse zebra. :thumbsup:

Interesting! Do you know why this is? Different magnets, or different wind maybe?

psychodave":362cvnj8 said:
parntz145":362cvnj8 said:
How can you tell who wound them?

The stickers on the bottom tell you who wound them. the JB says "JBJ" and Distortion says "DDJ". MJ was the winder and has the reputation of being Duncans best winder. He took her to halp make the Antiquities.

As for them sounding different...why really knows. I can tell you though that Seymour owned the company then and may have had better materials. As I understand it, he lost the company in a divorce. He then went on to make the Antiquity pickups. Dont quote me on this story though.
Thanks for the info. I have to check mine.

Lots of guys love the early 90s and 80s Duncans. I have no idea though and haven't tried any. You could get more info at the seymour duncan forum.

Bump for this. I found a Duncan JBL, the seller says its from the 90's. It has a nickel cover. Whats your opinion?

Thanks!

JohnSykes":8oqyehnc said:
jhale667":8oqyehnc said:
Supposedly the "L" refers to Lydia, another respected winder there...

Awesome, thanks. And its a "regular" JB? Cause its a lot cheaper than a new one.

Supposedly there's no change in the specs over the years, still the same wind as Duncan Distortion with a different magnet - maybe ever-so-slight changes in materials from their suppliers? They've always been A5 from what I read, but legend has it also that Seymour's "personal" JBs are A2.

Bump, i found an old DD-E, is it just a regular Duncan Distortion (From the 80's)? The guy says it reads 15.8k.

Thanks!

I dunno about all of this but my JB which came out of a Jackson USA JJ1 has a huge bottom end. So much so that I have to use an OD pedal to make the pickup usable for high gain... :confused:

Back