Old fashioned pedals & new fangled MIDI setups?

Draelyc

Okay, so I've been messing around with my rig again, like y' do, and I decided to try running my Speed Twin just on the dirty channel as if it were a single channel amp with no extra bells & whistles type switching (no channel switching, no switchable master volumes, no fx loop switching in & out, etc.).

Basically, I replaced the amp's built in od-boost on the dirty channel with an od pedal set up as a boost (vol. up, gain down on the pedal), and I threw an MXR Microamp at the end of my fx loop chain (after chorus & delay) to replace the switchable master volumes for a volume boost for leads. Works great.

The thing is, I've got two od pedals I'm wanting to use, a Bad Monkey and an MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe. The BM has an edgier, "harder" sound that's perfect for old-school metal, while the BBD is warmer & fuller for a more hard rock (rather than metal) high gain & it's great for leads. But that makes for a lot of tap dancing, especially when you figure in the Microamp to boost the volume for leads...

So what I'm wondering is this: how complicated (and more importantly, how expensive) would it be to hook my pedals together with some sort of MIDI switcher so that I could get any combination of pedals at the touch of, say, one footswitch? I know it's possible, but I don't know how much work & how much $$$ it would take. Or, conversely, is there a way to do the same thing without going the MIDI route?

It would be really cool, I think, to be able to go from an edgy metal rhythm using the Bad Monkey to a thick lead using the BBD+Delay+Microamp for a solo just by hitting one switch, but I don't have the duckets to call in Bob Bradshaw, especially not just for an experiment as I'm playing around with my rig... I know there are some gurus on here; somebody drop some knowledge on me.

Chris

I recently looked into this MIDI option as well. You're looking at a little under $1000 if you go the Voodoo Labs GCX route. :(

Everlone":7tyb23qg said:
I recently looked into this MIDI option as well. You're looking at a little under $1000 if you go the Voodoo Labs GCX route. :(

Not if you buy used. There's someone on HCAF selling the GCX router/looper and the Ground Control Pro for $600 total in the spam thread. It would probably cost around $650-700 to get 'em off Ebay, unless you found some good deals.

Axess Electronics has a router/looper thing- a few of 'em, actually- as well, but I don't remember how much they are. Honestly, the GCX is probably your best bet. They run $3-400 on Ebay, and the Ground Control Pro is usually around three bills, so grabbing the one from the HCAF spam thread makes a lot of sense if you have the cash available. Alternately, you could just pick up a GCX and cheap out on the controller, though that'll probably limit your options a bit. The Ground Control Pro is a nice piece of gear, or so I've heard.

Hrmm, I was a-fear'd it'd be in that ball-park, cash-wise. Married less than a year = no impromptu dropping of 6-10 bills on a "gear experiment." :salute:

I'm gonna look into those loopers & see if I could go low-tech and still do what I'm imagining...

Otoh, I do have an old ART X-15 Ultrafoot controller, so that would defray some of the cost of setting up a MIDI solution... Hrmmm... :confused:

And I've heard nothing but good things about the GCX based setup ...

Thanks for the input, guys! :thumbsup:

Draelyc":3j1fzd31 said:
Hrmm, I was a-fear'd it'd be in that ball-park, cash-wise. Married less than a year = no impromptu dropping of 6-10 bills on a "gear experiment." :salute:

I'm gonna look into those loopers & see if I could go low-tech and still do what I'm imagining...

Otoh, I do have an old ART X-15 Ultrafoot controller, so that would defray some of the cost of setting up a MIDI solution... Hrmmm... :confused:

And I've heard nothing but good things about the GCX based setup ...

Thanks for the input, guys! :thumbsup:

I am honestly thinking I will probably upgrade to a Ground control at some point (after my wife forgives me for buying the GCX :gethim: ). But, I am planning on using my existing foot controller to get the test rolling too.

:rock:

again with this":2amvnxo1 said:
I am honestly thinking I will probably upgrade to a Ground control at some point (after my wife forgives me for buying the GCX :gethim: ). But, I am planning on using my existing foot controller to get the test rolling too.

Diggit. But I may be able to do what I want without having to go MIDI at all ... It'd still be pricey (new), but the Voodoo Lab stuff looks really cool; I'm also gonna check out the Carl Martin Combinator, and these guys which Kage just recommended to me:
http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGi ... BLack.html

C

I've had the GCX for a couple of years and never got alot of
use out of it, but can someone here answer a question about the
GCX unit itself- Can another MIDI controller be used with the GCX
other than the GROUND CONTROL PRO to access the loops and
program which loops you want on or off on a certain preset? If
someone out there has one and can give me some info, lemme
know.........

Draelyc":2fq6yarf said:
again with this":2fq6yarf said:

Diggit. But I may be able to do what I want without having to go MIDI at all ... It'd still be pricey (new), but the Voodoo Lab stuff looks really cool; I'm also gonna check out the Carl Martin Combinator, and these guys which Kage just recommended to me:

C

If it's just pedals the gigrig looks really cool for the job, I was planning to try one out later

cyndicate":2xsi9rso said:
Draelyc":2xsi9rso said:
again with this":2xsi9rso said:

C

If it's just pedals the gigrig looks really cool for the job, I was planning to try one out later

Werd. It, too, is pricey new ... but it looks like for the flexibility I'd want, I'll have to pay a bit. For my situation with just pedals & no rack, the Gigrig do seem like da way to go... when (if) I can acquire the duckets. :aww:

LUKATHERFAN":3ve6d1ag said:
know.........

I also need this exact question answered.

LUKATHERFAN":1ofv1i4v said:
know.........

Plagerized and cross-posted for your conveninence...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... st27679416

The GCX and Ground Controls are great units for the price! If you want to save a bunch of money, pick up an original Ground Control pedal. I have both versions; the original and the Pro. Of course the Pro is better but it's $400 versus around $100 used for an original version and it works just fine. Both have good digital patch displays and can both run up to 8 racks simultaneously.

In fact (SPAM warning :LOL: :LOL: ), if anyone wants my original Ground Control I'd sell it for $100 including shipping and a power supply. Send replies to plexihacker@yahoo.com

LUKATHERFAN":y6r9uxlu said:
know.........
Absolutely!!! just about any Midi Controller will work with the GCX. Im currently using an Axess MFC-5 with it but will be moving to a Ground control Pro because I want to use an expression pedal and have more presets per bank in front of me. The thing that you have to be cognizant of is that the GCX has a footswitch in MIDI port on the back which puts out 9v AC to phantom power the the Controller. Its compatible with my Axess unit and you could also use the All Access from Rocktron but youd have to get a high amperage power adapter to compensate for the extra juice needed to drive the rocktron unit.

Other than the Power issue, MIDI is MIDI and anything can be used provided we are talking 9v ac. I would contact Voodoo labs to be sure as they obviously could tell you better than I ...

Kage

Couldn't you just get something like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher and a simple midi controller like the Midi Moose or perhaps a Diezel Columbus?

RJM music has a switcher, but it's rack only sadly enough. They used to have something in pedal form, but I can't find it anymore. Lehle also has some simple switchers/loops that are supposed to be great quality and have some sort of midi ability. They might be a good idea if you only need 2 or 3 loops. Axess Electronics has a switcher with 4 loops, too.

I'm tired of dancing around on pedals too, and I've been thinking myself to have a simple (preferably one line of buttons, as fool-proof as possible) midi controller with some effect pedals and a midi switcher. I rather have a small pedal board hidden in a case with a midi switcher and amp switcher to switch channels on the amp (which isn't midi), so all I need on stage is a simple midi controller. I don't want to have a rack – I have nothing to put in it anyway.

The stuff above is what I've been looking into, perhaps it's useful to you too.

Back