Old guys help me out (Need a Jazz guitar)

grunge782

I'm looking to get a jazz guitar soon for my dad for fathers day and I like to research well before I get presents for people. He isn't a serious player by any means but I would like it to be decent and to last. He wouldn't be able to tell anyways after a certain point of quality. I can't go above 350-400 for a budget so I was looking around at the Ibanez Artcore stuff and some of the hollowbodies at www.rondomusic.com. I am looking for a hollowbody or semihollow.

The bigsby bridge might be fun for him to fiddle with though I don't know how complicated it is to string up?

So what is your guys take on what I should get? What should I look for? Are there any other companies out there that make something in my price range that is good quality?

Sorry, no used stuff as this is a present :(

Check out some of the Epiphone Archtop models. Semi-hollow bodied, decent guitars, upgradeable in the sense of pups and even tuners down the road. If you're trying to keep within budget, avoid the Bigsby as it's a pricey hunk of metal, and quite honestly, not 100% worth it. Put the money saved from NOT buying a Bigsby and put it into better wood, design, and craftsmanship.

Just my 2 cents.

V.

Ventura":2uki8frq said:
Check out some of the Epiphone Archtop models. Semi-hollow bodied, decent guitars, upgradeable in the sense of pups and even tuners down the road. If you're trying to keep within budget, avoid the Bigsby as it's a pricey hunk of metal, and quite honestly, not 100% worth it. Put the money saved from NOT buying a Bigsby and put it into better wood, design, and craftsmanship.

Just my 2 cents.

V.

Cool thats what I figured. I doubt my dad would even use the Bigsby that much anyways. I have to admit I was being a little selfish because I just wanted to finally check one out :LOL: :LOL:

I'll take a look into that Epiphone then.

You want to buy this from me. :D It's an '94 Ibanez AS-80. Great sounding and playing guitar. All original. Price is $335 shipped (incl. paypal)

Attachments

• as801.jpg
    as801.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 407
mboogman":18uktlp2 said:
You want to buy this from me. :D It's an '94 Ibanez AS-80. Great sounding and playing guitar. All original. Price is $335 shipped (incl. paypal)

I can't go used on this one I'm sorry bro as its a gift :(

grunge782":3n70lqhh said:
mboogman":3n70lqhh said:

I don't get it, what's up with not being able to buy a mint condition used ax for someone as a gift? Not hounding you - I just wanna know... Technically speaking, every guitar hanging in a shop is used as any number of people put their grubby mitts on it at one time or another, so what's the diff??

That Artcore looks golden man!!

Anyway - all the best, if you avoid those troublesome Bigsby's, I think you'll be happier overall, as will your giftee :thumbsup:

V.

Ventura":yyngam6z said:
grunge782":yyngam6z said:
mboogman":yyngam6z said:

I don't get it, what's up with not being able to buy a mint condition used ax for someone as a gift? Not hounding you - I just wanna know... Technically speaking, every guitar hanging in a shop is used as any number of people put their grubby mitts on it at one time or another, so what's the diff??

Anyway - all the best, if you avoid those troublesome Bigsby's, I think you'll be happier overall, as will your giftee :thumbsup:

V.

Because if they don't like it I can return it with ease and I/they have some kind of warranty.

:thumbsup:

Makes sense.

grunge782":veew5jc3 said:
Ventura":veew5jc3 said:
grunge782":veew5jc3 said:
mboogman":veew5jc3 said:

V.

Because if they don't like it I can return it with ease and I/they have some kind of warranty.

Back