OMFG White Lion is stuck in my head…

I never even had a chance to loff you :aww:
It’s “I nevah hadda chance ta loff you.” Lol, get it right. Haha

I loved WL back in the day (I was 13), but listening back WL now, Tramp’s lyrics were so…junior high. Probably why they didn’t bother me that much. Very cheesy/melodramatic. He went to the same school of lyric writing as David Coverdale. I dug Tramp’s voice though. WL for me was always about Vito. What a player.

A producer or someone should’ve hooked WL up with a good writer/arranger. Do for Bratta and Tramp what Daisley did for Rhoads and Osbourne. Definitely would’ve had better songs anyway.

It’s really baffling why he turned into such a hermit. I was thinking he may be extremely introverted and just doesn’t like being around people. If you watch old videos, though, of him interacting with people, and he doesn’t seem socially awkward or anything.

I wonder if the shift from hair metal to the grunge stuff (and his band being one of those that would’ve been very maligned, look at this thread, the band is still being made fun of somewhat - and by guitarists that acknowledge his talent) was the straw that broke the camel’s back for him, in regards to the music business side of it. I do remember him complaining in an interview back in the day that one of the record executives said his playing was sloppy and made other derogatory comments about his music/playing. I think all of that was too much for him.

Imagine if the “classic” WL lineup were to reunite for a tour. They’d take in some serious dough, I’d think. All those guys are still alive, and not decrepit. Vito is such a mystery, though.
I think you are likely correct on this. Just seems sad that a guy that was that good and talented would just walk away from music altogether. I mean - perhaps he still does music and keeps it all to himself, but in this day and age anyone can release a song as long as they have a computer or cell phone. I guess everyone has a shelf life in music and perhaps his was just shorter.

Seems like this kinda backfired on the OP. Yeah, the lyrics and band don’t stand the test of time now but they were a good band back in the day. Saw them live. Vito fucking ripped. Sad he just walked away from it all.

White Lion lacked good songs except for a few hits. Tell Me, Little Fighter, Wait, Hungry, All you Need is Rock N Roll, all good. Their second album was the best in my opinion. Living on the Edge was a great tune, so was If My Mind was Evil. But they did have a lot of fillers.

I think you are likely correct on this. Just seems sad that a guy that was that good and talented would just walk away from music altogether. I mean - perhaps he still does music and keeps it all to himself, but in this day and age anyone can release a song as long as they have a computer or cell phone. I guess everyone has a shelf life in music and perhaps his was just shorter.
I remember years ago reading about how he jacked up his wrist playing classical guitar while laying down or something like that.

Like a lot if others here, I grew up to hair metal. I was about 14 when Crue and Ratt got huge and then watched Dokken, Loudness, T.N.T, etc get big. Then hair metal started becoming huge and mainstream. Around that time, 87-88 you got the next wave with White Lion and then Warrant, etc. I was pretty good up until thr Steelheart, Trixter, etc years and then started to lose thr vibe.

White Lion had some great songs but I think the guitar is what hooked all of us.

Do yourselves a favor and watch this Radar Love remake, primarily the solo with the girl dancing. You're welcome:

I banged more chicks in high school to White Lion first album it was crazy. Think I was 17 or so. Been playing guitar for bout 4 years. Vito to me was super fresh. I always said he was a cross of EVH and Lynch.
That love concert at the Ritz. Wow

I love all their albums…I never listen to the lyrics so they never bothered me lol.

Lady of the Valley is still one of my faves.

I was fan of Vito's playing but there were only a few songs I could listen to
Perhaps if they had kept this kind of edge it would have been more palatable to me....compared to the Pride version...

I love the song Hungry and also thought the second album was killer. Lady of the Valley, Little Fighter, Wait, etc were kind of gay but you cannot ignore Vito's playing.

And @Rick Lee had it right. Vito had a wrist injury and he can't play guitar. It had nothing to do with social inadequacies or fame or anything like that.

"On February 16, 2007, Bratta gave his first live interview in over 12 years. The following points were revealed during the Eddie Trunk interview: Bratta's father went through a 5-year illness, which required a large amount of personal time and commitment on Vito's part, both emotionally and financially. In 1997, he injured his wrist and finds it painful to move his hand up and down an electric guitar's neck; however he still manages to play classical guitars without excessive discomfort. In addition, he clarified that he has never ruled out a White Lion/Mike Tramp reunion; up until now, they have simply been impossible due to family obligations and his wrist injury." -Wiki

Go to the end 8 min mark here:

[youtube}1qkEhFcCoM[/youtube]

I remember reading back in the day that before White Lion got signed, Vito and Mike Tramp played in a VH tribute band. MT totally had the young DLR look and Vito looked a lot like a young Edward in addition to having the chops and the tone. I’ll bet watching them was like a time machine. I wonder if there are any VHS recordings of that act?

I was just listening to this song last week and it reminded me how great that album is. Yeah I didn’t dig the poppier stuff like a lot of people but this song with a more mid-80s heavy metal vibe just kills

Last edited:
Back