Omnisphere users, what MIDI controllers?

rsm

Recently purchased an Arturia AstroLab for my V Collection and Pigments; it's working great. Omnisphere doesn't have a dedicated keyboard controller/host, so I'm looking at MIDI keyboards, 61-key.

So far the Nektar Panorama P6 looks like the best fit, and Nektar has a template for mapping Omnisphere.

What are you using?

I've Owned Omni for years but haven't installed or used any of my "digital" stuff yet as I've been hugely-delayed for years. That'll all happen when I upgrade from my 2012 cheese grater.

I have watched many videos on Omni over the years 'though and it looks like the main MIDI CC's peeps use are mod wheel, mono aftertouch and CC4 (foot-control, often used for HH's degree of openness and wah).

So, it shouldn't matter which keyboard you go for, really.

Of course, there's the option of buying a sound-generating one that's able to control Omni via one of its built-in templates, something Spectra introduced a few years back.

Personally I'd just stick with the classic controllers and map filter cutoff and Rez and amp attack and release to its 4 sliders. An expression pedal mapped to CC4 would complete the deal.

Reactions: rsm
I'm trying to decide how many physical controls on the MIDI keyboard I need/want; I can go with minimal controls and use Omnisphere in a patch/preset mode or get more controls to adjust parameters without having to use the computer screen. I have MIDI keyboards with minimal on board controls since I used the computer touch screen and keyboard/mouse to navigate. Having the more controls on the MIDI keyboard seems like a good option, then I can use either or both.

The Nektar Panorama P6 has plenty of physical controls...I guess it comes down to how you use Omnisphere. So far the Nektar looks good.

As long as:

1) The VI's you use remember the mappings
2) You're able to create templates on the keyboard for each of the VI's

Still, I reckon deep-editing should be done with the mouse / keypad and filter cutoff, res, modulation and maybe attack and release (for amp or filter, whichever's your preference) adjusted via the controller.

My thinking is that the most-utilitarian parameters are the ones you're going to go for first, hence why I recommend they be assigned on the keyboard.

As long as:

1) The VI's you use remember the mappings
2) You're able to create templates on the keyboard for each of the VI's

Still, I reckon deep-editing should be done with the mouse / keypad and filter cutoff, res, modulation and maybe attack and release (for amp or filter, whichever's your preference) adjusted via the controller.

My thinking is that the most-utilitarian parameters are the ones you're going to go for first, hence why I recommend they be assigned on the keyboard.
Yes, that's the plan, creating patches / sounds on the computer, then organizing them to play using the MIDI keyboard and controls to tweak and adjust

Just placed my order: Omnisphere 2 + Nektar Panorama P6 - 61-key MIDI keyboard/controller.

Last year I built my guitar computer/software rig; now for the keyboard computer/software rig - to expand on my Hauptwerk VIII pipe organ software.

Yes, that's the plan, creating patches / sounds on the computer, then organizing them to play using the MIDI keyboard and controls to tweak and adjust
Good-to-hear bro'; I really believe in that approach.

The idea being, of course, that when playing patches you're already happy with, on-the-fly adjustments of tonality (filter) and duration (attack and release) are likely to be all you need 90+% of the time.

Back