On on off switch connection

ClintN667

Hey guys. Im doing one of Burgers builds and I finally have all the components, my PCB is for the most part is finished. But being a total noob Im having an issue with instead of having a seperate on/off switch and a standby the faceplate dictated that I use one switch for both. So I got a Carling on-on-off switch but Im not certain on how to wire it.

My switch only has 4 lugs but there are 6 connections needed between 2 switches for the layout. My thoughs were to use the two for on off on the right side of the switch then connect both AC connections to one on the left then connect the two going to the PCB to the other on the left. Am I thinking correctly? Sorry if this is a stupid question but Im still learning and this build is a bit out of my comfort zone.

Attachments

• FriedMiniSwitch.jpg
    FriedMiniSwitch.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 233
Do you have the data sheet for the switch you have?

So you’re saying you need to connect both sides of Secondary of the PT for standby, but don’t forget for mains you also need to switch black (hot) before being fused and neutral (white) to both sides of the primary of the PT as well. You can’t switch just black because old buildings sometimes have hot and neutral out of phase which is a safety concern only switching one side but not the other.

Essentially you’ll need a SP4T On-on-off switch to do what you need, I can confirm whether your switch will do what you want if you have a data sheet for it :)

Yeah that switch won’t work. You need to maintain primary PT winding connections to wall voltage while selecting secondary windings to the filter caps for standby. An off - on - on SPDT as pictured would select the primary in standby or out of standby when the primary is off.

You need to find a SP4T off on on single switch to do primary OFF secondary OFF - primary ON secondary OFF - primary ON secondary ON

Back