Online amp demos

SO , I just saw this thread and didn't have time to read the whole thing, but OP, your experience is EXACTLY like mine. .I've mentioned that many times that guys are posting demos where they sound pretty much the same through each amp. Well I have a few explanations. . First off I own well over 20 amps. They're all different in tone and feel, BUT I dial them in the way I want to sound. . At that point they all sound VERY similar. I think this is what the demo guys do. You're hearing them record the tones they like out of those amps. Those tones are basically the same amp to amp. . . There's my case and I'm sticking to it

Eric

Meh. I dont really care for amp demos anymore or gear videos. I do enjoy videos where I learn something like Ben Eller, Andy Wood, and a few other guys. Or when I do watch a gear video its actually showing how to set certain things up like Jer' helix vids, or there is a guy Nick Hill that does some cool vids on recording.

In general I'm burned out on tone chasing in general and should have had my head examined for spending so much time and energy watching what amounts to as commercials. I should have been doing something a bit more productive/entertaining

He will also make a video about hate speech on the internet and people who play “wanna be” amps like he did when I said one of his amps which he was selling sounded a little boxy
All that should be left at home and guitar/amps should be the focus.

I'd say Pete Thorn has the best all-around demos. Even though his focus is way more general rock tones, he'll throw some high gain tones in on occasion and they always sound incredible. He is a true pro compared to most on youtube, and even though a lot of these guys have pro level studios, Pete just goes about it in a super tasteful and inspiring way.

I also like Rabea's channel and think he is a very creative, talented guitarist.

Ola's channel is solely entertainment. If I want to see how a piece of gear sounds, I definitely don't go there. But I like his sense of humor.

Worst consistent tone I've heard - Fluff's cleans. Doesn't matter what amp or guitar, it's the same chords, same muffled, dark, flubby nonsense. I also think his demos are painfully short in general.

I'd say Pete Thorn has the best all-around demos. Even though his focus is way more general rock tones, he'll throw some high gain tones in on occasion and they always sound incredible. He is a true pro compared to most on youtube, and even though a lot of these guys have pro level studios, Pete just goes about it in a super tasteful and inspiring way.

I also like Rabea's channel and think he is a very creative, talented guitarist.

Ola's channel is solely entertainment. If I want to see how a piece of gear sounds, I definitely don't go there. But I like his sense of humor.

Worst consistent tone I've heard - Fluff's cleans. Doesn't matter what amp or guitar, it's the same chords, same muffled, dark, flubby nonsense. I also think his demos are painfully short in general.

Pete Thorn is great, and his demos are tops.

I think Rabea is overrated. His playing is sterile to me, no feel or authority behind it. Rob Chapman the monkey lord helped him out and got him many subscribers. Now he has great companies paying him to demo their gear. But hey, he is getting cool new free gear, and getting paid to play guitar, and I most certainly am not!

I liked Ola’s response to the “You make every amp sound the same” comments.

In general, these vids should all just be a ball park measurement of what the amps sound like. We all know by now every amp/guitar sounds different when someone else picks it up, never mind if you’re using a different cab/speakers than the guy who made the demo video. You can tilt a microphone 45 degrees and change the entire sound. Way too many variables involved to say “THIS is what this amp sounds like“.

99.9% of the time, for the last 5-6 years, I’m listening to an amp through studio monitors, whether it’s a cab mic’d in a different room of my house or my AxeFX. I’m only focused on recording and mixing these days, so the amp in the room thing is useless to me. Even that opens up a whole can of worms; got a bunch of sound deadening shit in your room? No shit in the room? Do the NE corner of the room trap bass frequencies more than other areas? Another thing of too many variables to make a legit decision.

My biggest gripe with gear videos is that I’m seeing shit like, “I want to be a gear reviewer on YouTube but I’m broke, how can I get gear?”, or “My goal one day is to be a YouTube gear demo guy” pop up on forums. People are more interested in being a popular YouTuber than they are playing the fucking guitar and doing something with it. Go look up Lucas Lecompte. Dude can barely play a fucking pentatonic scale from one side of the neck to the other, but that doesn’t stop the dude from posting vids nonstop. He uploaded some “History of the 5150” video when he got an AxeFX a while back and tried using all the models in it as a way to show how it’s evolved over time and not a single one of them sounded like an actual 5150 because A) he‘s never played through a real one and B) bitch picker. We kind of drilled it into him on another forum that he should really get better before attempting these gear demos, but he doesn’t care. He just wants to be a YouTUber.

There’s a few popular guys like that, I can’t remember that one guys name but he’s always doing vids where he comes off as being an authority on gear and he can’t play for shit, he’s got a goatee and his channel is pretty big. Same with that fuckin’ Paul dude from Guitar World...Rivaro or whatever. Holy fuck that guy can’t play.

If you can’t ring the life out of the notes and you’re letting the gear play you, don’t bother. (Not saying that’s anyone here, I have no clue who any of you are on Youtube) But there’s a huge tonal difference between someone who can really play and get an amp to sing and someone who is letting the gear play them.

People complaining about the quality of free online resources? It's absurd. If you want to hear an amp, go find one, or hassle the manufacturer into doing clips to your exact specification, or send you the amp for your approval.

To the guys on here that put so much time and effort into making clips for us all, a big thank you. I hope you don't get discouraged by the armchair critics and bedroom players. Keep doing what you're doing - most of us actually get it, and really appreciate all your work.

I think Rabea is overrated. His playing is sterile to me, no feel or authority behind it. Rob Chapman the monkey lord helped him out and got him many subscribers. Now he has great companies paying him to demo their gear. But hey, he is getting cool new free gear, and getting paid to play guitar, and I most certainly am not!
Yeah I dunno, I feel differently about his playing. TBH I don't watch his channel that often but I've always thought his technique was pretty great. Especially compared to players like EytschPi42, whatever that dude's name is. Can't say I ever liked Chapman. His style is like paranoid aggro blues licks with too much gain. Then when he tries to play metal it comes off really awkward.

At the end of the day, I'm not knocking any of these guys or their channels. I'm glad they put the effort in regardless of my own tastes.

When I used to do videos used a Zoom Q3.
audio came out good. And we recovered at gig level. Just had to find a sweet spot to set the zoom.

You might as well just @ me, dude.

I don't really understand the point of this thread, or the point in being passive aggressive or too soft to name names if you're already posting negativity just to instigate.

My view will always be, if you want to bitch about something, prove you can do it better, or stop bitching. Also, constructive criticism is totally fine, if you're genuinely saying you think someone could improve something and give them pointers, but bitching just to bitch is weak person shit.
I actually feel yours's are some of the best I've heard because all in all they are neutral and consistent. I will say I liked the Mesa cab better and not because of that particular cab or because it sounded better but because you can always reference each amp and the cab remains the same. Again consistent.

I love amp demos. I've copped a bunch of cool rhythmic patterns from badseed,killertone,gsxrbusa,jerevil and others. I wish I had the computer skills to post stuff,but I am way too old to spend that kinda time. I don't even know how to run my Kemper,I have to have juggernaut mike do it.

There is a guy here who does short thrashy tunes that he has set to movie clips that always makes me smile. I actually enjoys those more than demos. Wish I could remember his screen name,but I salute you brother.

I am just appreciative of anyone to take the time to put up some clips of metal,even if it's an amp demo.

I realized that my post may come off as nothing but negative and that wasn’t really my intention. I should have added a “If I’m looking to purchase an amp....” at the start of it. I’ll watch any amp vid no matter how it’s recorded, but if I’m seeking something out to purchase, I’m not going to go off an amp not mic’d up or a demo from someone who is clearly in the beginning stages of playing or one of those dudes who just hasn’t ‘gotten it’ yet.

Like those vids above of the Billy Corgan Diezel, that was fun as fuck to watch and I’d never expect that kind of tone to come out of the first clip. Sounds like a super tight fuzz, that’s pretty fucking cool!

I think if you’re gonna post videos, you might as well expect the backlash, it just comes with the territory. Also, Kyle, find another dude to be buddy buddy with: that reza dude is a complete fucking clown man. That’s the guy you wanna associate with? Jesus Christ... that dude is Vince Sansevere of the 21st century, but alittle more truthful

I love amp demos. I've copped a bunch of cool rhythmic patterns from badseed,killertone,gsxrbusa,jerevil and others. I wish I had the computer skills to post stuff,but I am way too old to spend that kinda time. I don't even know how to run my Kemper,I have to have juggernaut mike do it.

There is a guy here who does short thrashy tunes that he has set to movie clips that always makes me smile. I actually enjoys those more than demos. Wish I could remember his screen name,but I salute you brother.

I am just appreciative of anyone to take the time to put up some clips of metal,even if it's an amp demo.
That guy with those short thrashy movie clips sucks :ROFLMAO: Thanks bro, you just made my day 🤘

Tough crowd here but I get it and I want to jump in too!

Rabea I think has pretty good chops and he has managed to land himself some pretty sweet endorsements and gear. His studio is cool too. Not a fan of his IR's though, tones often sound tubby.

Pete is Pete. Pretty much the gold standard and seems like a great guy. Makes everything sound awesome and that's my only gripe because I buy it and then it sounds like shit in my rig or is not inspiring.

Ola. Meh, chugga lug, I also don't care much for his humour but I guess that's what happens when you put out a zillion videos. At least he makes some cash from them.

Fluff. More chuggaluggalug everything sounds the same but good for him as well. He has viewers and gets to review cool gear.

Reza. Everything sounds the same and he is the only guy that can make a 57 sound crappy. He needs to learn what "off- axis" means. Not everything has to be center cone and mashed up to the grill.

There are so many doing reviews though, most do a decent job. Some guys around here are doing great work too. Jer is comin up!

Also, for anyone that saw ola’s recent “amp fest” video, can we all agree how fucking horrible fortin amps are now? Holy god, what an embarrassing sounding amp. That has gotta be one of the worst sounding amps I’ve EVER heard, and definitely the worst sounding expensive amp I’ve ever heard. I feel like I’m living in the twilight zone with these amps, they are so so unbelievably bad it’s laughable. Absolutely no low end, no high end, all garbage midrange. Even the cab sounds like pure shit. This fortin craze has gotta die: there was some
Guy on a page on Facebook wanting to trade his beautiful wizard mk II for a fucking fortin: I just can’t dog this company enough. If you saw that video and think fortin sounds good you really need to lay down the pipe, what a shitshow hype train of epic proportions like I’ve never seen in gear.

Back