OPINION: Modern Charvels aren't that good

I've got 3 - a MIJ So Cal, a DK24, and a new Style 2. I haven't found anything that can hang with them in their price range.

In my personal opinion, the more "contours" and "design" that's put into a guitar, the more it starts to look like a "luxury vehicle" rather than a hot rod. I want my Charvels to look like a hot rod. That's why I don't like metal guitars that look like they're designed with every advantage there is. I want my guitar to look like a hot rodded strat. It just looks cooler. You see someone show up with a guitar that looks like it basically plays itself its so over designed and whatnot, its njust not as cool as a guy who shows up with a simple, but cool looking strat body guitar and rocks the house.

I had like 8 of the 2008-9 models. They were great guitars for the money and now sell for twice as much as new then. The Japanese models did not have the mojo for me and were not as good. Every MIM one I have touched is nowhere near the same in terms of playability. I think the company wanted to change the line or modernize it etc. Remember the Desolation series? I think that was probably a flop and they quickly changed course and went back to 80s looking guitars. I wish they would have just kept the same USA Pro MOD line going from 2008-9. Those were killer guitars and great modding platforms too. It is almost like they realized what a smoking deal those were and thought they had to take it away from us. I should hve kept all those guitars but I sold them all. I think the new guitars look cool still - but they play like 2x4s to me.

In my personal opinion, the more "contours" and "design" that's put into a guitar, the more it starts to look like a "luxury vehicle" rather than a hot rod. I want my Charvels to look like a hot rod. That's why I don't like metal guitars that look like they're designed with every advantage there is. I want my guitar to look like a hot rodded strat. It just looks cooler. You see someone show up with a guitar that looks like it basically plays itself its so over designed and whatnot, its njust not as cool as a guy who shows up with a simple, but cool looking strat body guitar and rocks the house.
OK, I understand. Maybe I was still young in 80's and I perceived the world a little differently from behind the Iron Curtain. We mostly only knew quality guitars from pictures and played whatever was available (yes, our guitarist played V style made of scrap-wood in front of 1500 people). Back then, I saw Gunslinger and Baretta as hot rods. Charvel was a bit of a sports car, as it was absolutely unavailable here. So maybe this perception has remained with me until now and I am simply happy with 'dehotrodded' MiM Charvel ;).

Think about it: Wayne Charvel works for Dave friedman making Friedman guitars. He sold his name many years ago like Leo fender and others. Fender owns everything under the sun so your buying guitars mass produced made by Fender called Charvel.

I own a Satchel signature model. Painted it blue, put a kill switch on it and took out the active pups and it's a great back up to my Anderson guitars.

Last edited:
I was sad when they moved off made in USA too but The Japanese guitars were good too IMO. Extra rolled edges on the fretboard and I think a touch thinner.

I had like 8 of the 2008-9 models. They were great guitars for the money and now sell for twice as much as new then. The Japanese models did not have the mojo for me and were not as good. Every MIM one I have touched is nowhere near the same in terms of playability. I think the company wanted to change the line or modernize it etc. Remember the Desolation series? I think that was probably a flop and they quickly changed course and went back to 80s looking guitars. I wish they would have just kept the same USA Pro MOD line going from 2008-9. Those were killer guitars and great modding platforms too. It is almost like they realized what a smoking deal those were and thought they had to take it away from us. I should hve kept all those guitars but I sold them all. I think the new guitars look cool still - but they play like 2x4s to me.
I think demographic is a part of it. The more old school specs are now typically reserved for the USA Select line and the Custom Shop runs. Pricier guitars for the older demographic. The midrange Pro-Mod line has been increasingly modernized to keep up with the younger generation of players, who don't even realize that a non-recessed Floyd Rose is a thing.

I think demographic is a part of it. The more old school specs are now typically reserved for the USA Select line and the Custom Shop runs. Pricier guitars for the older demographic. The midrange Pro-Mod line has been increasingly modernized to keep up with the younger generation of players, who don't even realize that a non-recessed Floyd Rose is a thing.
Most likely the case, though I would imagine younger players are not even drawn to Charvels anyway. So why change it? Charvel is like the Harley Davidson of guitars. They're just better left as they are. Why mess with a masterpiece?

I love my Japanese Wildcard and my MIM promod San Dimas.

The wildcard is a better guitar. But both rock the house.

So I got my DK24 amber back from my tech today , the neck is shimmed the 5 way is a now a 3 way and it's got 2 push/pull volume pots.
Plays a hell of a lot better now that the neck angle is correct, and the fret sprout has been addressed. I still feel like my MIJ Socal feels more "solid" the wood used for the neck feels "harder" on the MIJ Charvel and the body has more weight to it. But now that it's been set up it's very shred able, I 'll try it at rehearsal tomorrow and see if they pick ups are staying, you MIM owners that have the Full shred/Alnico II combos, did you keep them or yank them? I'm thinking surh aldrich/ssv might work nice in this guitar.

Last edited:
Most likely the case, though I would imagine younger players are not even drawn to Charvels anyway. So why change it? Charvel is like the Harley Davidson of guitars. They're just better left as they are. Why mess with a masterpiece?
Charvel seems to be doing pretty well for themselves with their Dinky model, considering how many variants they're cranking out.

So I got my DK24 amber back from my tech today , the neck is shimmed the 5 way is a now a 3 way and it's got 2 push/pull volume pots.
Plays a hell of a lot better now that the neck angle is correct, and the fret sprout has been addressed. I still like like my MIJ Socal feels more "solid" the wood used for the neck feels "harder" on the MIJ Charvel and the body has more weight to it. But now that it's been set up it's very shred able, I 'll try it at rehearsal tomorrow and see if they pick ups are staying, you MIM owners that have the Full shred/Alnico II combos, did you keep them or yank them? I'm thinking surh aldrich/ssv might work nice in this guitar.
Neck angle is HUGE with me. It literally changes the playability of any guitar I’ve ever owned. My Plum 09 has the perfect angle; but my 08 Blue needed just a small shim to make it perfect. Other guitars, if they fought me I simply shimmed it a little and that makes such a huge difference for the better.

Think about it: Wayne Charvel works for Dave friedman making Friedman guitars. He sold his name many years ago like Leo fender and others. Fender owns everything under the sun so your buying guitars mass produced made by Fender called Charvel.

I own a Satchel signature model. Painted it blue, put a kill switch on it and took out the active pups and it's a great back up to my Anderson guitars.
So, did Grover Jackson stop building them for Dave? If so and now it’s Wayne, that’s a pretty awesome replay of history in a way…Wayne sold Charvel to Grover back in the day. 🤟

Didnt know that, thanks for the info and now curious about Friedman guitars haha.

I've only had one "modern" charvell and it was the 88 reissue.

It wasn't horrible but I could feel the difference next to my other Charvel I had at the time (2005 Pointy reissue)

Back