OPINION: Modern Charvels aren't that good

Here's mine. 3 USA pro-mods and a MIM deMartini.

I love them. No Tone-Zones tho.

Attachments

• 20220719_223404.jpg
    20220719_223404.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I love the Nitro Aged Custom Shops. I have a 2012 in Arctic White and just picked up a 2022 in Vanilla Shake with roasted neck/ body. Both 1 3/4” wide nuts.

Attachments

• E3D77E17-D0A4-4B41-9662-D671719F5D71.jpeg
    E3D77E17-D0A4-4B41-9662-D671719F5D71.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 87
  • 5A7F116A-9273-4C13-AE2B-F46BD28C26F8.jpeg
    5A7F116A-9273-4C13-AE2B-F46BD28C26F8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 88
  • 6363E5C0-9C65-4FC1-B19A-6116881F72AF.jpeg
    6363E5C0-9C65-4FC1-B19A-6116881F72AF.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 92
WOW! Those are so killer!

Looks like u have added some titanium hardware to those Floyd’s? What pups are those double creams?

I love the Nitro Aged Custom Shops. I have a 2012 in Arctic White and just picked up a 2022 in Vanilla Shake with roasted neck/ body. Both 1 3/4” wide nuts.
We need more pics....

Also, what nuts are on these? I ordered my white nitro with the 1 /34 nut specs, but had an R3 nut installed. I also asked for light aging and light rolling of the frets. The nitro necks are 2 3/16th at the heel, so with a floyd and heavy fret roll, strings can be pulled off the sides. The R3 nut helps prevent this.

EDIT: I also notice on your white one... they have the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. I prefer this as it help tonally with bite and aggression. My white nitro is like this as well.

We need more pics....

Also, what nuts are on these? I ordered my white nitro with the 1 /34 nut specs, but had an R3 nut installed. I also asked for light aging and light rolling of the frets. The nitro necks are 2 3/16th at the heel, so with a floyd and heavy fret roll, strings can be pulled off the sides. The R3 nut helps prevent this.

EDIT: I also notice on your white one... they have the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. I prefer this as it help tonally with bite and aggression. My white nitro is like this as well.

The 2012 has an R3 nut. I spent probably 40 hours on the guitar dialing it in but it's absolutely amazing now. The biggest issue I have with these Music Zoo Nitro Aged Charvel is the Floyd height. Both of mine were so far off the body. On the 2012 I used a Stew Mac full pocket neck shim, but reversed it so I could lower the bridge closer to body. It has a Duncan Alternative 8 in bridge and Dimarzio Transition in the neck. Volume is a CTS push pull that splits the neck. I installed a 37mm Floyd big brass block and my go-to Raw Vintage trem springs. I replaced the gold toggle with an actual brass Switchcraft unit. And yes, I have titanium bolts and string blocks on the 2012 as well.

I literally got the 2022 Vanilla Shake just a few days ago. I will do the same with the neck pocket on it to lower the bridge. I'll also add an R3 nut as it has the factory R5. I'll likely change the block and I have more Raw Vintage springs en route for it. It's got a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and PAF pro in neck. They sound really good.

Gorgeous guitars!

Man do I wish Gotoh sold those tuners to the public. Or that someone made and sold replacement crownhead buttons.

I don’t hate the newer Charvels. Just think Charvel is going in a direction that is not very metal or hot rod. It’s fine to evolve, but you got to remember who you are too. I feel like Charvel increasingly makes hipster guitars.

That’s just my opinion. Not a knock to those who like the newer ones. I’m just an old soul.

The 2012 has an R3 nut. I spent probably 40 hours on the guitar dialing it in but it's absolutely amazing now. The biggest issue I have with these Music Zoo Nitro Aged Charvel is the Floyd height. Both of mine were so far off the body. On the 2012 I used a Stew Mac full pocket neck shim, but reversed it so I could lower the bridge closer to body. It has a Duncan Alternative 8 in bridge and Dimarzio Transition in the neck. Volume is a CTS push pull that splits the neck. I installed a 37mm Floyd big brass block and my go-to Raw Vintage trem springs. I replaced the gold toggle with an actual brass Switchcraft unit. And yes, I have titanium bolts and string blocks on the 2012 as well.

I literally got the 2022 Vanilla Shake just a few days ago. I will do the same with the neck pocket on it to lower the bridge. I'll also add an R3 nut as it has the factory R5. I'll likely change the block and I have more Raw Vintage springs en route for it. It's got a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and PAF pro in neck. They sound real

I literally got the 2022 Vanilla Shake just a few days ago. I will do the same with the neck pocket on it to lower the bridge. I'll also add an R3 nut as it has the factory R5. I'll likely change the block and I have more Raw Vintage springs en route for it. It's got a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and PAF pro in neck. They sound really good.
Killer guitars (looks and specs)! I thought I was the only one that likes/knew about the Transition pickup lol, have a couple of them in different guitars (one bridge model, one neck, both sound great IMO).

My first batch US Pro Mod and a more current test drive, a MiM DK24 (trying to scratch a pink super strat itch in the style of Greg Howe - a couple years ago they re-released those HM strats in pink and the nostalgia got me, huge Howe fan, but I tried a few out and even a pink MiM San Dimas and they all fell short of this guitar so I left with it...and still love it, its made the cut).

Charvel-Guitars.jpg

Not a fan of roasted necks either. Just like the classic look. Strat body, Candy/metallic finish, black hardware, HH, 1 volume knob, toggle switch, white as hell maple neck and fretboard. Like a classic Harley motorcycle.

In my personal opinion, the more "contours" and "design" that's put into a guitar, the more it starts to look like a "luxury vehicle" rather than a hot rod. I want my Charvels to look like a hot rod. That's why I don't like metal guitars that look like they're designed with every advantage there is. I want my guitar to look like a hot rodded strat. It just looks cooler. You see someone show up with a guitar that looks like it basically plays itself its so over designed and whatnot, its njust not as cool as a guy who shows up with a simple, but cool looking strat body guitar and rocks the house.
There is a reason why strats and Les Pauls are still considered iconic. ;)

Sad that in '08-'09, they tried putting out some killer USA non-recessed Floyd, quarter sawn necked rock machines, but they couldn't make a profit on them. So, off to Japan they went. And, they still couldn't make a profit. So, off to Mexico. The 2013 ones at least had the single knob and 3-way switch. Now, you get recessed Floyds with black foam glued to the recessed area, and blade switches that get in the way of the Floyd arm.

I bought a Wolfgang Standard. Non-recessed trem, no blade switches, nice roasted neck, $500 used. Done!

I'm going on record, to confess that I prefer the Dinky body.

Old school San-Dimas / So-Cal is a 'man' body ... but I'm a tiny little girl with low-t. Dinky is where it's at. Better balance, better comfort, better access.

So I got my DK24 back today with a set of Suhr pickups in it , the Duncans it came with were thin and shrill sounding
(wasn't really a fan of the white bobbins either)
so Aldrich/SSV, now it sounds pretty bad ass, still not as nice as my MIJ Socal but it should be a reliable gigging guitar.
thumbnail_IMG_4387.jpg

My Henrik rules, although I had to get the frets dressed, they were very uneven as were the sides.
69239331-1B8F-41DC-B8F0-9A8FA94B9CDA.jpeg

I had 3. 2 which gone back because of cracked fretboard and 1 that was awful as well. Not getting another :/

Think about it: Wayne Charvel works for Dave friedman making Friedman guitars. He sold his name many years ago like Leo fender and others. Fender owns everything under the sun so your buying guitars mass produced made by Fender called Charvel.

I own a Satchel signature model. Painted it blue, put a kill switch on it and took out the active pups and it's a great back up to my Anderson guitars.
No. Friedman has been working with Grover Jackson the entire time.

Back