Options / methods for volume boost only ?

* velcro-fly *

Scenario: need some volume boost for solos over the band....have a Suhr Koko boost running into the front end but it really only just saturates stuff more, no real volume boost of an already dirty signal (it will boost the crap out of a clean signal though...) I don't need more gain, just volume.

I've got a delay / verb pedal running in the loop, also use the return volume as an overall master for the amp. I can / could footswitch the loop on / off and get prob way more volume than I need since I'm running the amp hot, but if I switch it off I lose the delay & verb... Pedal board is going into the front of the amp, delay / verb is just sitting on the top of the head with short cables into the back...

Ideas ? Thanks in advance !

ya, the 2 options I see here are either a) bringing the loop effects down to foot level and controlling them there, or incorporating a separate switch for them to engage into the loop remotely, and therefore having the option to bypass their FX and use the loop as a second master, or b) my tried and true always recommended CAL (Creation Audio Labs) Mk.4:23Pro clean boost upfront. That pedal is a 48V version of their stock Mk.4:23 which is absolutely my fave boost for everything. I've not tried the stock/standard version, but I have heard it's amazing as well.

Fantastic pedal, great company. Best pedal for pure clean boost I've ever played.

Something like an MXR microamp in the loop would do fine. Or if you've got one handy, an EQ pedal set flat (or dialed in whatever way you like) with the output slider adjusted for boost or cut. Easy, cheap.

ya, the 2 options I see here are either a) bringing the loop effects down to foot level and controlling them there, or incorporating a separate switch for them to engage into the loop remotely, and therefore having the option to bypass their FX and use the loop as a second master, or b) my tried and true always recommended CAL (Creation Audio Labs) Mk.4:23Pro clean boost upfront. That pedal is a 48V version of their stock Mk.4:23 which is absolutely my fave boost for everything. I've not tried the stock/standard version, but I have heard it's amazing as well.

Fantastic pedal, great company. Best pedal for pure clean boost I've ever played.
Mo - wouldn't this just push the amp harder like the Koko? or are you talking using it in the loop ?

Put a passive volume box in the loop, cut the volume a bit for everything but solos, switch it off for the full volume to act like a boost.

Something like the EHX Signal Pad.

Last edited:
Scenario: need some volume boost for solos over the band....have a Suhr Koko boost running into the front end but it really only just saturates stuff more, no real volume boost of an already dirty signal (it will boost the crap out of a clean signal though...) I don't need more gain, just volume.

I've got a delay / verb pedal running in the loop, also use the return volume as an overall master for the amp. I can / could footswitch the loop on / off and get prob way more volume than I need since I'm running the amp hot, but if I switch it off I lose the delay & verb... Pedal board is going into the front of the amp, delay / verb is just sitting on the top of the head with short cables into the back...

Ideas ? Thanks in advance !
EQ in the loop, or EP Booster, or RC Booster. Done.

Mo - wouldn't this just push the amp harder like the Koko? or are you talking using it in the loop ?
Ya'd think it would, but it doesn't - and I can't explain how the hell it works - but it seemingly takes whatever is going into the amp and ramps everything "good" up about it, including the volume, without colouring or further distorting the sound/tone. It's a weird lil' box man...hence the reason I love it - it's just nuts how it does what it does and makes everything sound so fkn great when doing so 😆

I use this in the loop MXR CAE Boost

I use it to make solos louder and also for clean parts that I want to jangle more--if that makes any sense. .

I tried a Boss EQ pedal but the output slider was touchy and sometimes it would not be enough output and if I moved the slider up a slight nudge, it was then too much. The MXR CAE boost pedal works great for me.

I use this in the loop MXR CAE Boost

I use it to make solos louder and also for clean parts that I want to jangle more--if that makes any sense. .

I tried a Boss EQ pedal but the output slider was touchy and sometimes it would not be enough output and if I moved the slider up a slight nudge, it was then too much. The MXR CAE boost pedal works great for me.
Nice . I scored an MXR Micro Amp + cheap today and gave it a go, it did exactly what I needed it to do, stoked. It does color the tone a little but there are bass / treble knobs on it to dial some of that in and out. So in the end, yes all you guys suggesting a clean boost in the loop were 100% dead on. I think its worth checking a few out, curious how that CAE version you have would work.

I use to use a Suhr ISO boost in the loop, boost for solos perfectly, very transparent!

Currently I use my TC2290 and preset output volumes for solos in conjunction with a volume pedal

I used to use a rhythm cut box in the loop as mentioned above.

Now I use a TC Electronic Spark boost in the loop. Great pedal! The mini version also has a momentary feature. The damn thing knows the difference when u click it on and off or hold your foot on it and then let off. Fantastic feature when u need to jump out on small fills.

Tech 21 Boost D.L.A., amazing delay and up to 9dB boost. Best solution for one-click solo volume boost.
Exactly what I use.... plenty of dB boost to get over the top for leads... and it's a nice delay to boot. I hit front end of my Naylor SD60 with Koko boost hitting JRAD Archer(gain off, level 3)... DLA Boost in loop for leads and all works great... very little 'tap dancing' :)

Back